General strategy question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

General strategy question

Moderator: Football Moderators

General strategy question

Postby MadScott » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:30 pm

I'm a first time FF player in a league that's 5 years old. Currently, I'm running in 1st place, 8-1 and leading in points. My current roster:
QBs=Culpepper, Hasselbeck, Pennington
RBs=A. Green, D. Davis, F. Taylor, M. Bennett, A. Thomas
WRs=T. Owens, I. Bruce, J. Smith, S. Moss
TEs=J. Shockey
K=Vanderjagt
Def=NE

With NE on bye this week I'm trading Penny for the Giants Def. Beyond that, I've been tempted to get rid of Hass but I'm starting to think better of that.

My question really is, in general, do you reach a point and time in the season where it becomes time to stand pat? Should I continue to try and improve my team?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Redskins Win » Thu Nov 06, 2003 5:52 pm

Well usually there are trade deadlines and it looks as though your players are as good as any you'd be able to pick up through the WW. So make your deal with Penny, which is pretty damn good deal, and barring injuries or def or kicker matchups stand pat. ;-D
Last edited by Redskins Win on Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VHawk15 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:04 pm

Wait, you're trading Pennington for a defense? What's available on waivers? And I think that if any thing should be improved on your team, it should be your #2 RB spot.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby MadScott » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:12 pm

Trade deadline is Nov. 14th.

I am trading Pennington for a defense. It's not something that I'd normally do but if I don't trade him, then I will drop him via waivers. This way, I'm able to at least trade him to a 2-7 team rather than have someone in contension who needs a QB get him.

I agree that my #2 RB spot could use some suring up. I also feel like I've got enough there to chose from to be able to play some pretty decent matchups. I'm kind of betting I guess on the fact that D. Davis, F. Taylor, M. Bennett or A. Thomas is going to give me a decent matchup week in and week out. Am I crazy?
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 4Pack » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:52 pm

Pennington for a defense? Wow...I would have too be pretty desperate for a defense too do that.
4Pack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MadScott » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:57 pm

Like I said, it was either drop him and possibly let one of the chief competitors in my league pick him up or control where he goes and get a fairly decent defense.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 9er Fan » Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:59 pm

MadScott wrote:Like I said, it was either drop him and possibly let one of the chief competitors in my league pick him up or control where he goes and get a fairly decent defense.

Going without a defense this week would have been another option, but if you traded him to a non-playoff team, I can't argue with your strategy.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby MadScott » Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:05 pm

9er Fan wrote:Going without a defense this week would have been another option, but if you traded him to a non-playoff team, I can't argue with your strategy.

That certainly was another thought, the trouble is I'm playing the #2 team with the same record as I this week, so I figured I need the points. I figure I'm going to learn a lot this year on the fly here.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:20 pm

LOL, at first when I read that I thought it said that YOU were 5 years old...
:-)
Anyway, I wouldn't trade Penny for a D. I would try to trade Hass for a D and a backup RB. I really think that Penny should be good for the rest of the year, and I haven't been impressed with Hass I have him, and he has been consistent, but not spectacular.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FFPlayinMoFo » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:39 pm

Trade Hass straight up for a D . You obviously don't need him .
Besides , I'm all for owning two defenses unless you have TB or this year's Chiefs . Even very good Ds can't be relied on on a weekly basis .
FFPlayinMoFo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Next

Return to Football Talk