General strategy question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

General strategy question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:47 pm

Hass for the Tampa Bay D would be a great deal for whoever had the Tampa Bay D, so don't even think about trading Penny for ANY D. For Penny you should be able to get a good RB of some kind and I think that's where you need improvement. At 8-1 or whatever, you'r locked into the playoffs, so play without a D for a week if you must. But don't do anything silly like trading Penny for a D.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Wesley Walker » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:48 pm

And that's a pretty sweet lineup you've got, but think about a #2 RB. You can afford to get a good one with the QBs you've got.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Re: General strategy question

Postby ScreamingWeasel » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:57 pm

MadScott wrote:My question really is, in general, do you reach a point and time in the season where it becomes time to stand pat?

You've reached that time!
Dude. You're 8-1. If it ain't broke - don't fix it!
No WAY I trade Pennington for a 1-week defense.
Worst case? Take the hit and be 8-2.
Best case? You can do better than dropping a QB.
Try J. Smith if you have to.
Culpepper can break his leg this week - you NEVER know.

My 2 cents?
You're 8-1. Leave it alone.

~Da Wease
ScreamingWeasel
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ynot » Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:59 pm

Good opinions all, but I am inclined to disagree with the consensus.

In this situation I would trade Pennington for two reasons:

1)He is very hot right now and will probably get more for you than Hass will.

2)I would not want to be starting Penny come playoff time. The Jets schedule from here out is brutal. Whereas the Seattle schedule here out is an absolute cake-walk.

I would trade Penny for a top D. If your league is like mine then the Ds can be quite high scoring and can mean the difference between a win and a loss.

See if a team or two at the bottom of the ladder has one of the following Ds: Tennessee, St.Louis, Kansas City, Tampa, (not necessarily in that order)..

I would then consider carrying those two Ds throughout and play the matchups each week.

If you had a comfortable distance on the second place team I would say stand pat and go without a D this week, but it does not appear you have that luxury.

Good luck - with your team you shouldn't need it!! ;-D

ynot
ynot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Budman_ffc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:31 pm

I'd trade one of your QB's and RB for a Stud #2 RB. Then pick up best available D for the week and then kick them to the curb when you're done with them.
That's my two cents and it's worth every penny of it!

Semper Fi!
Budman_ffc
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby KingGhidra » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:38 am

I don't see why everyone is so concerned about his #2 RB. If Dom Davis keeps with his pace, he is more than set. If not, he has Taylor and Thomas to play matchup bingo with, then there's the Bennett X-factor. Oh btw, just drop NE for another DEF.
KingGhidra
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 07, 2003 9:24 am

ynot wrote:2)I would not want to be starting Penny come playoff time. The Jets schedule from here out is brutal. Whereas the Seattle schedule here out is an absolute cake-walk.

Exactly what I was looking at as well. By keeping Hass who got hot toward the end of last year and with that schedule, I figure I've got a solid 2nd QB.

I'd trade one of your QB's and RB for a Stud #2 RB. Then pick up best available D for the week and then kick them to the curb when you're done with them.

Believe me I've tried! I've put together multiple packages in hopes of pulling something off, to no avail. The guy who has Alexander is 1-8 with no QB and poor WRs and actually poor RBs. I've tried sending combos of Hass, Bruce, J. Smith, every RB except Green and he won't trade.

Oh btw, just drop NE for another DEF.

I don't know how your league is, but NE is the top ranked defense for points in our league. Right now it is ranked #23 overall, behind McAllister and ahead of Garcia. Not bad for a D if you ask me.

Friendliness: %

Postby ynot » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:15 am

Guest wrote:I don't know how your league is, but NE is the top ranked defense for points in our league. Right now it is ranked #23 overall, behind McAllister and ahead of Garcia. Not bad for a D if you ask me.

In many leagues Ds are devalued. I think many opinions here reflect that. But in a league like yours (and mine) Ds are very valuable but still overlooked.

I am in the middle of a trade for a defense myself right now. I have a very solid team but the lack of a great D has dropped me to 5th place while I have scored 150 points more than the next closest team!

ynot
ynot
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby MadScott » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:26 pm

Sorry that I didn't log in before ynot posted, but that was my response above.

I totally agree ynot about undervaluing defenses. Defenses have seem to put me over the top most weeks in tight games.
I like simple pleasures, like butter in my ass, lollipops in my mouth. That's just me.
MadScott
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Dude_ffc » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:54 pm

I think the bottom line here is that you can do waaay better than Penn for Giants D, way better. Keep trying or stand pat. At 8-1 you can afford a loss and keep working deals next week. Look at the big picture. Go for a good WR if you think you are set at #2 RB or go for a better TE or even maybe a Qb with better match-ups down the stretch.
"That rug really tied the room together."
The Dude_ffc
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk