Interesting Issue - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Interesting Issue

Moderator: Football Moderators

Interesting Issue

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:42 am

So I play in two hardcore dynasty leagues. A 12 man football and an 18 man baseball. 9 of the people in the football are in the baseball. This issue just came up and wanted to know what people thought about how to deal with it in the future.

Long story short, our playoffs came down to 2-start pitchers, and I got burned since I relied on closers more then starters all season. I decided that I wanted to add 3-5 premier starters going in to next season, ensuring me 3 guys with 2 starts most weeks.

I have had ongoing trade negotiations with a guy in my baseball league since July. He really wanted K-Rod then (K-Rod wound up as our top scoring player) and I refused to trade him. Instead we made another deal right before the deadline ( essentially Oswalt/J.Upton for Quentin/J.Johnson).

Now the season is over we revisited the issue. I regret trading Johnson, and would like him back, so we worked out a deal where I send K-Rod, Blanton, Furcal, Moustakous and my 1st for Sheets and J. Johnson. Now, on paper that deal definitely favors him, but I was dealing from strength (have Aviles, Lowrie and Ramirez to play SS) to help my strategy for next season, and needed to free up some spots to keep some minor leaguers..

Meanwhile, while we were talking talks drifted to football, where his RBs (Parker, Taylor, Smith) and TEs (Shockey,Heap) were absolutely decimated right now. We eventually worked out a football trade as well, sending him a couple picks, Jacobs, Lendale and Heath Miller for S-Jax. This was submitted Saturday night before Jackson's big game . Obviously Jax is the big name, but hes getting back a top 15 back, a solid flex play, a starting TE and some picks for a guy he was way down on.

So, the issue. The baseball trade goes through no problem Saturday morning. The commissioner of the football league decides Monday that we are "colluding" because the baseball trade was slanted for him and the football trade was slanted for me (in his opinion) and vetoes. I would obviously rather have the football deal now, but is there any way to explain that two people dealing in multiple leagues isn't collusion? I see the conflict, but since they are long-term dynasty leagues I would think common sense says we wouldnt be cheating.

*Quick note, due to some fairness issues we, as a league, instituted a rule saying deals submitted after 1PM on Saturday don't get put through till the following Monday . Too often deals would get approved Sunday morning and people didnt have a chance to fix their rosters, and would wind up with an illegal roster and a loss.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Interesting Issue

Postby iamgregg » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:10 am

I can understand the Commissioner's rationale, though I'm not sure it should have been applicable.

In any case, what I don't understand is a Commish who won't investigate a trade he's suspicious off, by interviewing the owners involved. To be honest, it is a pretty weak argument for colluding that you just happen to trade in two seperate leagues at similar times.

I would explain to the Commish that you traded in the Football league, because of what you said; topic of a football trade came up while you were negotiating a baseball trade. "Hey, speaking of trades, I see you're hurting at RB/TE". I think when judging trades, the Commish has to keep things self-contained within the league where it takes place. He has to judge whether or not you're colluding to gain an unfair advantage in THIS league, not others. Explain your rationale behind the trades so he can see how you both believe it benefits you.

I can't see how a rational and fair Commish would stick to his guns on this one.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby kaveman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:47 am

Look. The league has commissioner veto. That makes vetoing a trade up to the commissioner as he sees fit. The commish did nothing wrong in vetoing the trade that he thought was collusion.

It seems to me that you ARE whining and complaining about a dead issue at this point. Rebuild the trade and see if it goes through.
:-B

Honestly though, the commish should have asked the two of you for an explanation before vetoing. Don't know your scoring system, as K-Rod is your top scorer, so it's hard to judge the baseball trade. But the football trade is fair and there was no reason for it to be vetoed. If your commish is reasonable and knowledgeable you should be able to convince him. Best of luck.
kaveman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Graphics ExpertPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:36 am

iamgregg wrote:I can understand the Commissioner's rationale, though I'm not sure it should have been applicable.

In any case, what I don't understand is a Commish who won't investigate a trade he's suspicious off, by interviewing the owners involved. To be honest, it is a pretty weak argument for colluding that you just happen to trade in two seperate leagues at similar times.

I would explain to the Commish that you traded in the Football league, because of what you said; topic of a football trade came up while you were negotiating a baseball trade. "Hey, speaking of trades, I see you're hurting at RB/TE". I think when judging trades, the Commish has to keep things self-contained within the league where it takes place. He has to judge whether or not you're colluding to gain an unfair advantage in THIS league, not others. Explain your rationale behind the trades so he can see how you both believe it benefits you.

I can't see how a rational and fair Commish would stick to his guns on this one.

Very well put. ;-D
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner