ESPN league question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

ESPN league question

Moderator: Football Moderators

ESPN league question

Postby HunglikeChampions » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:43 am

I am the commish in a Private free ESPN league that is hopefully going to be the starting of a good Keeper league with some friends. When I set the league up, I noticed you could set up divisions, which I was pretty excited about. Thought it would add another facet to the league. I set up two divisions of 6 teams. I also intended to have the top 3 teams from each division make the playoffs. However, after looking at the projected playoff match ups as of now, it appears that its the top 6 teams period and not the top 3 from each division. My question is, if there is any way to change that. My intention is to have it be top 3 from each division and that's what everybody was told, so there is not a matter of changing settings after the season has started.

If you cant have top whatever from each division, what exactly is the point of having divisions? It would just end up making it more/less fair to everybody else depending if they got in what turns out to be a really competitive division or a slack division that year. Thanks for any help.
HunglikeChampions
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: ESPN league question

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:14 am

I haven't done this for football, but was in a league this past year with divisions for baseball. We had it setup in 3 divisions of 4, and the top 2 teams from each division made it to the playoffs. This was an ESPN league also - and our commissioner was able to set it up that way. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with it in football, but if we could do it in baseball, I am sure there is a way to do it in football.

If you still can't figure it out, I would try their help page - Click me!. If the information is not there, go ahead and click the "Contact Us" link and directly ask them the question.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Goody » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:46 am

The purpose of the 2 divisions is to have each division winner receive a first round bye in the playoffs. It then takes the next 4 teams with the best records (regardless of division) and adds them to the playoffs. This is the better way to have it set up and that is how ESPN defaults it. That way if one division is much stronger than the other, they don't get penalized for having better records but not making it in simply because there can only be 3 from each division that can make it in. That is the reason it is set up this way and makes performance throughout the season mean more, not what division you happen to be in.

After the season starts, I do not believe you can change what is set.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby milo » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:05 pm

I'm not the commish of my league so I dont know how to do it but I know my commish does it. We have two divisions and he manually sets the matchups for the play offs. Div 1a vs Div 2b and Div 1b vs Div 2a for example. Overrides the ESPN setting essentially. You will have some frustrated people though thinking they made the playoffs only to have you change the teams based on what your rules are. Our tiebreakers are different than ESPN default as well so he has to figure those out on his own also. I like the way ESPN defaults personally. Top teams regardless of div for wild cards and total points tie breaker.
milo
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:04 am

HunglikeChampions wrote:I am the commish in a Private free ESPN league that is hopefully going to be the starting of a good Keeper league with some friends. When I set the league up, I noticed you could set up divisions, which I was pretty excited about. Thought it would add another facet to the league. I set up two divisions of 6 teams. I also intended to have the top 3 teams from each division make the playoffs. However, after looking at the projected playoff match ups as of now, it appears that its the top 6 teams period and not the top 3 from each division. My question is, if there is any way to change that. My intention is to have it be top 3 from each division and that's what everybody was told, so there is not a matter of changing settings after the season has started.

If you cant have top whatever from each division, what exactly is the point of having divisions? It would just end up making it more/less fair to everybody else depending if they got in what turns out to be a really competitive division or a slack division that year. Thanks for any help.

I've never played on ESPN so unfortunately I can't help you there. My question is: why would you want it to be the top 3 teams from each division? That doesn't make much sense to me. Every league I'm in that has divisions takes the division winners, and then the teams with the next best records (just like the NFL). The way you want to do it, you could have 3 teams missing the playoffs from 1 division...with better records than the 3 teams that made the playoffs from the other division. I know that's unlikely, but it's still possible. I don't understand why you would want to do this. :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 86)

Postby dupree » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:48 pm

I have played in private ESPN leagues for 3 years. Once the playoffs start the commish can adjust the playoff schedule as he/she sees fit. It is VERY important, of course, in this situation to have the playoff seeding rules CLEARLY stated at the start of the season and posted for EVERYONES viewing pleasure. Once you take it out of the hands of the "System" then you have to be crystal clear with the owners of what is going to happen...

Here are our rules:
Code: Select all
12 Teams
3 Divisions of 4 teams each

The regular season runs from weeks 1-13

Each team will face divisional foes twice along with 7 of the remaining 8 teams.

Playoffs:
At the end of the regular season the league will be split in half between the Championship bracket and the Consolation Bracket.

The following six teams will make it into the Championship bracket:
3 Division Winners
2 Wild Cards - 2 remaining teams with the best record regardless of division.
1 At Large bid for the team which has accumulated the most points over the course of the regular season.

Round 1 - Week 14
Top 2 teams (Based on records) will receive a bye
#3 will play #6
#4 will play #5

Round 2 - Week 15
#1 will play the winner of #3 v #6 Game
#2 will play the winner of #4 v #5 Game

Round 3 - Week 16
Championship game between the winning teams from round 2
3rd place game for two losing teams

Consolation Bracket:
Remaining teams will be ranked based on their standings at the end of the season.

Round 1 - Week 14
#7 and #8 Teams get a bye
#9 plays #12
#10 plays #11

Round 2 - Week 15
#7 plays winner of #9 v #12
#8 plays winner of #10 v #11
2 losers from round 1 play for the 5th and 6th pick of next years draft.

Round 3 - Week 16
Winning teams play for 1st and 2nd pick of next years draft
Losing teams play for 3rd and 4th pick of next years draft

Based on a post here we also have an Aloha bowl in week 17 where the team scoring the highest total points gets there entrance fee refunded.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner