overtime - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

overtime

Moderator: Football Moderators

overtime

Postby DaKnife » Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:03 am

does anyyone besides me think they should go from a sudden death overtime to a full quarter of play?
I am tired of seeing games go to ot, just to find that the team that wins the toss, wins the game on the first posession, most of the time the team that loses the toss, doesn't ever touch the ball in ot....
QB- Manning,Carr,Roethlisberger
RB-C-Martin, M Pittman, Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams
WR-Antwan Randle El ,T.O., J Porter, Rod Smith, K McCardell
K-J Elam, O Mare
D- Den, Atl

Keeper/Cap league/ 10 teams
PLAY; 1 QB, 2 RB'S, 3 WR'S, 1 K, 1 D
DaKnife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Innovative Member
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Minnesota;...................... From No. Ca. coast (brrrrrrr)

Postby Arlo » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:40 pm

Unless we happen to be talking Atlanta vs. Pittsburgh. :-D

Seriously, though, I see your point. There have been lots of suggestions to improve this, but nothing that's stuck...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaKnife » Sun Nov 10, 2002 5:57 pm

The steelers game would not have mattered, nobody scored, I am saying what if steelers lost toss and falcs get a field goal on their first posession... steelers never get to touch the ball in ot !!! bull !!!

ot should play 1 full quarter....period
just think if the nba or mlb were sudden death.. !!
QB- Manning,Carr,Roethlisberger
RB-C-Martin, M Pittman, Cedric Benson, Ricky Williams
WR-Antwan Randle El ,T.O., J Porter, Rod Smith, K McCardell
K-J Elam, O Mare
D- Den, Atl

Keeper/Cap league/ 10 teams
PLAY; 1 QB, 2 RB'S, 3 WR'S, 1 K, 1 D
DaKnife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Innovative Member
Location: Minnesota;...................... From No. Ca. coast (brrrrrrr)

Postby Guttpuppy » Mon Nov 11, 2002 2:19 am

A full quarter of football in no way compares to an inning or period in ANY other sport.I feel a college type overtime could be more appropriate,giving equal opportunities to win the game.

TIES SUCK!!!What are the rules in the play-offs if this situation should arrise?A winner should be decided in every football game played.
Guttpuppy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:27 am

In the playoffs, I believe play continues in fifteen-minute quarters until a team scores. If the Steelers-Falcons game had been a playoff contest, it might have taken a while the way things were going in overtime... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kashikis » Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:00 pm

the only problrm with giving both sides a shot in OT is that if one team kicks a FG then the other team gets a chance to tie or win with a TD.... the second team can play 4 down ball which gives them a huge advantage because the first team would get a FG and to be able to use 4 downs to simply get into FG range isnt that difficult to do compared to the first team doing it with 3 downs

i just think it should stay the same. it might be more entertaining the other ways but in increases chances of injury to players... when they are fatigued they tend to get hurt easier. also its hard enough for players to bash it out for 4 quarters but five every OT game would kill them because if you think about it the bills had 3 OT games out of their first four or five and if had played 5 full quarters in all of those they would have nearly zero chance at winning the next few.

anyway plus fair is fair in my mind and a coin toss is as fair as it gets:
50-50 all the way
No really, I'm not having a bad day.

What the hell.... is goin' on.... in the NFL?!
kashikis
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby slowkidz » Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:35 pm

unless of course you're using a two headed coin! i wouldn't put it past those dirty refs....<grumble grumble>...I like the idea of putting the college OT rules into effect in the nfl. I would rather see both teams have a shot vs the luck of the toss...Let the best team win, not the luckiest!!!
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Return to General Talk