Does Tampa's Cover 2 bode well for TE's? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does Tampa's Cover 2 bode well for TE's?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does Tampa's Cover 2 bode well for TE's?

Postby Maris09 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:47 pm

I though I remembered hearing how the Cover 2 is beatable over the middle and/or seam routes.

That would make for a good TE matchup right?

Thoughts?
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Does Tampa's Cover 2 bode well for TE's?

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:51 am

Maris09 wrote:I though I remembered hearing how the Cover 2 is beatable over the middle and/or seam routes.

That would make for a good TE matchup right?

Thoughts?

Yep. The Tampa 2 has always been susceptible to the TE because the MLB drops into deep coverage a lot.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:53 pm

Personally, I think Tampa Bay has one of the top LB units in the NFL. And that's even with senior citizen Derrick Brooks dropping back into coverage.

I really don't understand how Tampa Bay is a GOOD matchup for any position. It's not a shutdown defense, but it's also not a pushover in any aspect of the game.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:09 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Personally, I think Tampa Bay has one of the top LB units in the NFL. And that's even with senior citizen Derrick Brooks dropping back into coverage.

I really don't understand how Tampa Bay is a GOOD matchup for any position. It's not a shutdown defense, but it's also not a pushover in any aspect of the game.

They do have great LB. The SYSTEM is susceptible to the TE because of how it leaves the short middle open. It always has been. You still have to execute, but if you want to hit that spot it is open.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:27 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:Personally, I think Tampa Bay has one of the top LB units in the NFL. And that's even with senior citizen Derrick Brooks dropping back into coverage.

They do have great LB. The SYSTEM is susceptible to the TE because of how it leaves the short middle open. It always has been. You still have to execute, but if you want to hit that spot it is open.

Tampa Bay LBers have 3 INTS this season to the rest of the teams 3.

PS Tampa has been playing a LOT of man this year with their CBs as opposed to zone.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:50 pm

The Tampa Cover 2 scheme goes back to when Tony Dungy and Monte Kiffin were coaching there. Tampa Bay doesn't necessarily use it a lot now. But Deeray is right when saying that underneath/middle routes, as well as certain long routes can have success against Cover 2 schemes because of holes in certain parts of the zones.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:44 am

I don't think the T2 is that much different the C2, which has been around forever. I think the main difference is the use of the MLB deeper in order to shore up the C2 weakness which is specifically TE and slot receivers and the seam routes. This is a personnel-dependent adjustment and I don't watch TB enough to say this with authority but I am pretty sure Ruud is an excellent cover MLB and that they have been primarily playing T2.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Tampa Bay LBers have 3 INTS this season to the rest of the teams 3.

PS Tampa has been playing a LOT of man this year with their CBs as opposed to zone.

Yes I know, I have seen almost every snap of Buc football since the early nineties. Those 3 INTS by the LB -- one was Ruud running with Forte 40 yards downfield to pick it in the endzone, one was brandon jackson tiping it to brooks, and the third was another semi deep pass that Ruud was dropping to cover. My point is that they were not because they were playing great underneath coverage. The Bucs have great LB's, but the system lends itself to short and intermediate success. The goal of the Buc defense is to make you dink and dunk it under the coverage all the way down the field. Due to the holes being in the shirt yardage and intermediate lanes, they are susceptible to the TE or WR going underneath. It doesn't matter who runs the route, the underneath routes are there. Tight ends run a lot of those types of routes, which is why the could be susceptible to TE.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk