Best Keeper League site? Plus... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Best Keeper League site? Plus...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best Keeper League site? Plus...

Postby Alvarado13 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:52 pm

What are some of the "standard" settings for a keeper league. How many players are usually kept? My league has been around for 9 years and we've decide to become a keeper league for next season. I was thinking 1 of eaching of the following: QB, WR, RB, TE, K, DEF, and 1 reflex spot. Any recommendations?
Alvarado13
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best Keeper League site? Plus...

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:51 am

Alvarado13 wrote:What are some of the "standard" settings for a keeper league. How many players are usually kept? My league has been around for 9 years and we've decide to become a keeper league for next season. I was thinking 1 of eaching of the following: QB, WR, RB, TE, K, DEF, and 1 reflex spot. Any recommendations?

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

Most keeper leagues that I've been in keep 1, 2, or 3 players. IMO, once you start keeping more than 3 or 4 you might as well just make it a dynasty league and keep everyone. Some keeper leagues allow owners to keep players with no penalty at all. In some keeper leagues, you lose the draft pick for the round you drafted the player in. That adds a little more strategy to it and makes late round gems even more valuable. One of my keeper leagues (False Start Fantasy Football League here at the cafe) allows you to keep between 1-3 players. If you keep less than 3, you get supplemental picks before the actual draft starts. There are MANY different types of keeper leagues.

I've never seen a league that keeps 1 at each position like you were thinking. But that doesn't mean they don't exist, and if that's what the league wants to do...go for it! That's one of the many things I love about fantasy football. There are no rules when it comes to making up a league. I'm in a dynasty league (Flex-Factor here at the Cafe) that starts: QB, QB/RB, RB, RB/WR, WR, WR/TE, TE, K, DL, DL/LB, LB, LB/DB, DB. 8-o

I'd check out some of the leagues in the draft room. You'll get a lot of good ideas from looking at the keeper leagues in there. Some will have 'keeper' in the title or description of the league. Others wont and you'll have to go into the forum and look at the rules & settings to see what type of league it is.

Best pay site IMO is MFL (myfantasyleague.com). Works out to be about $6 per owner in 12 team leagues. Best free site IMO is fleaflicker.com.

I hope that helps a little. Good luck! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:00 am

Huge MFL fan. The sheer range of custom options is incredible.

My main league is a dynasty keeper.

20 man rosters, 4 man taxi squad
You can claim another teams taxi player for your lowest remaining draft pick OR by starting them for 2 weeks.
keep 18 from season to season

Starting 1 QB/1 K/1 Def
And either 2RB/3W/1T or 3/1/2 or 1/5/0

Scoring is pretty standard. 6 pt TDs. RB/WR get 1pt for 10yrds, TE get 1.5. QBs get 1 per 25 passing.

-2 for Int or lost fumbles.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:14 pm

both keeper leagues i play in allow 3 players to be kept, but no player can be kept for more than 3 years (regardless of if he is traded duing that time)

i agree MyFantasyLeague is excellent for keeper leagues, especially that it allows you to trade future draft picks
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:28 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote: no player can be kept for more than 3 years (regardless of if he is traded duing that time)
Hi Dan. Is that 3 years plus the original year he was picked up, or three years total?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by if he's traded.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:57 am

MFL is the way to go IMO ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 am

TomBrooklyn wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote: no player can be kept for more than 3 years (regardless of if he is traded duing that time)
Hi Dan. Is that 3 years plus the original year he was picked up, or three years total?

Also, I don't understand what you mean by if he's traded.

includes the year he is drafted. so if i draft someone this year, i can keep him next year and the year after that

about the trade part, if i trade him to another owner his 3 years are still from when i drafted him, not when that owner acquires him
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:09 am

I am currently in two keeper leagues.

One keeps 4 players with no more than 2 at the same position and you lose the draft pick in the round before where each keeper was originally taken. Each year you keep the same player you must give up one earlier draft pick than the year before. Once you give up a first round pick for a keeper, you cannot keep him the following year.

The other one keeps 3 players with no more than 2 at the same position and you can only keep a player for 3 years.

I am in leagues in MFL, ESPN, RTSports, Flea and Yahoo and although you have to pay for live scoring, I still think Yahoo is best overall and definately the easiest to use.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Commissioner's Corner