You drafted him. You expected greatnes. He bombed. Now What? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

You drafted him. You expected greatnes. He bombed. Now What?

Moderator: Football Moderators

You drafted him. You expected greatnes. He bombed. Now What?

Postby JrcWy » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:19 pm

Yeah, so this title describes a lot of guys but I have seen very little posted in here about Drew Bledsoe. I was thrilled to get this guy on my team in a fairly late round and I know some others out there were too. Now I am starting David Carr as of lately. Bills fans, fellow Bledsoe victims, lucky non-Bledsoe owners...will he be a good starter again this year or should I start moving some of my depth out to get another QB? I have Brady and Carr for now, hoping Bledsoe will come back, but is it just a pipe dream?
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby spydr31 » Thu Nov 06, 2003 9:24 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. Bledsoe was (I repeat WAS) my starting QB in one of my leagues. I dropped him for Kitna after too many frustrating weeks.
In another league I picked Bledsoe up as trade bait when someone dropped him (I already have Manning and Bulger). I was hoping his play would pick up and I could bulk up my receiving corps in a trade. I flat out dropped him last week.
The life of a fantasy sports fanatic can definitely be a frustrating one. :~(
spydr31

Friendliness: %

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Thu Nov 06, 2003 11:20 pm

Bledoe hasn't been anywhere near the bust K-Rob has been. The only positive thing I can say about him is that he is consistent....3-5 pts every week...
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:43 am

It's a rare draft when NO player bombs out on your team.

I took Marshall Faulk with my first rounder. BUST!
I took Kurt Warner in the 5th round. BUST!
I took Jerry Porter in the 6th round. BUST!
I took Onterrio Smith in round 7. BUST!
I took Olandis Gary in round 8. BUST!
I took the injured Mike Vick in the 9th round. BUST!

So how is my team doing? I'm the top scoring team in the league, in first in the division, and getting stronger. I was lucky enough to grab Holt in the 3rd, Ward in the 4th, Chad in the 10th (WTF?!?!).

Warner going down was the best thing that could have happenned to my team, but I was a little crushed at the time. I feared a QBBC with my new pick-up Bulger.

It's all in the recovery, being quick AND smart on the wavier wire. You're going to draft guys that bust. 6 of my first 9 picks were busts. Fred Taylor is one of the non-bust picks, and he isn't doing all that much either.
The meek ain't gonna inherit $#!%....'cuz I'll TAKE IT!
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JrcWy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 2:52 am

That is some bad luck but still you need to consider.

Marshall Faulk was an injury RISK anyway.
Kurt Warner was questionable coming into the year but I will admit he's a bust.
Jerry Porter has been a bust but was not going to be huge anyway.
Onterrio Smith was drafted into a team set with a great back and a godd backup already, I never bit on that whole deal.
Olandis Gary was an attempted quickfix behind a terrible line on a new team. But I will still say a bust, but rarely is an 8th round pick going to be fantastic.
Taking Mike Vick as injured that late was prbably a steal but also a big risk.

So yeah you had some bad luck, but I would have questioned your team from the very beginning. Bledsoe had no reason to flop like the way he did, most of yours everyone saw coming.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:47 am

Hmmm, I seem to re-call Bledsoe SUCKING in NE and Brady stealing his job away.

they lose Price, and Moulds has never really been that great of a WR anyway. He's had ONE multi TD game in his career. He just isn't a dependable #1 week in and week out. The Bills were also going to be running the ball more this year.

I could see a Bledsoe flop.
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Bukoski77 » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:16 am

dgroundhog wrote:Hmmm, I seem to re-call Bledsoe SUCKING in NE and Brady stealing his job away.

I wont argue that he was sucking, but he lost his job due to injury, not performance. The same circumstances that led to Lou setting some kind of baseball record. New England just stuck with the hot hand after Brady took over, and to Bledsoe's credit he came back and had a pretty damn good fantasy season last year even though he faded down the stretch.
"At 60 yards it wont be a record FG distance, It will however set a record for longest post field goal celebration if Gramatica makes it."

Al Michaels, in reference to a Gramatica 60YRD field goal attempt week 5(2003 season) of Monday Night Football.
Bukoski77
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgroundhog_ffc » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:40 am

Still, he was far from a lock as an elite QB, I doubt he was taken in the first 4 rounds, and QB is a fairly easy position to fill.

My main point: having one player struggle, especially one at a plentiful position, shouldn't be the death of your fantasy season. I've gotten nothing from several of my top picks, yet my team is strong.
dgroundhog_ffc
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JrcWy » Fri Nov 07, 2003 10:50 am

I'm in first place and like I said, Carr is carrying my team this week while, Ironically, Bledsoe was edged out again this year on my roster by Brady. I went very runningback heavy and drafted Bledsoe 6th round. I know some other people are in the same boat and just wanted their thoughts.
JrcWy
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:11 am

This guy in my league's draft went:
1st actualy a good pick, Alexander, traded for Deuce
2nd Edge
3rd Warner
4th Boston
5th traded him for Dillon
6th Mason, actually been alright
7th Stallworth
8th Candidate
9th Morgan
10th traded him for Booker
11th traded for Price
12th James Stewart

These all may not be in order, but he had at one point all of these players. Now does anybody have a team like that? This guy has been jinxed from day one. Not only has anybody he drafted get hurt, he also got Penny. He picked up Carr, then he got hurt, he picked up Plummer, then he got hurt, he got Betts, he stunk so he traded for nothing basically. He got Fiedler, he got replaced and hurt. He got Tai Streets, he hurt his groin. I can't believe how this guy has manage to be 4-5 and get this current team:
QB Penny, Greise, Carter
RB McAllister, Edge, Dillon
WR Horn, Mason, SMoss, SSmith, Streets, Boston
PK Kasay
D Indy, even they have started to stink since he traded for them.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk