Week 5 GC: Minnesota @ New Orleans - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 5 GC: Minnesota @ New Orleans

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 5 GC: Minnesota @ New Orleans

Postby dgan » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:04 am

mikus wrote:I need to vent.

So pissed off right now. First off, the refs -- Hochuli's crew -- were terrible tonight. A HUGE blown call on the Reggie Bush fumble where there clearly was a face-mask. Costs the Saints field position, at least a FG try by Gramatica. No guarantee that he would have made it, but still ...

And that brings me to my second point. Gramatica! Geez how terrible he was tonight. He makes a kick that no one expected, and shanks two others. Pissed off at his goofy butt right now.

I am so mad!!!

The missed facemask was not as blatant at full speed as it was in slow motion. The guy had it for a split second and then let go (to knock the ball out). Definately a missed call, but I've been seeing one of these a game it seems...not sure why. I initially thought the AP fumble/non-fumble should have been a fumble, but after Hochuli said it was still in his hand, I did notice he appeared to still have a firm grip on it until his knee hit the ground and jarred the ball loose. I think that was the right call after replay.

So aside from the one really costly missed call, I don't think you can say the refs had a bad game. If anything, NO was wearing out their flags. It was penalties and dropped passes that hurt NO more than anything. And missed field goals...too bad because their defense looked great considering Minnesota's big plays on offense both looked like an accident.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Week 5 GC: Minnesota @ New Orleans

Postby moochman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:59 am

dgan wrote:
mikus wrote:I need to vent.

So pissed off right now. First off, the refs -- Hochuli's crew -- were terrible tonight. A HUGE blown call on the Reggie Bush fumble where there clearly was a face-mask. Costs the Saints field position, at least a FG try by Gramatica. No guarantee that he would have made it, but still ...

And that brings me to my second point. Gramatica! Geez how terrible he was tonight. He makes a kick that no one expected, and shanks two others. Pissed off at his goofy butt right now.

I am so mad!!!

The missed facemask was not as blatant at full speed as it was in slow motion. The guy had it for a split second and then let go (to knock the ball out). Definately a missed call, but I've been seeing one of these a game it seems...not sure why. I initially thought the AP fumble/non-fumble should have been a fumble, but after Hochuli said it was still in his hand, I did notice he appeared to still have a firm grip on it until his knee hit the ground and jarred the ball loose. I think that was the right call after replay.

So aside from the one really costly missed call, I don't think you can say the refs had a bad game. If anything, NO was wearing out their flags. It was penalties and dropped passes that hurt NO more than anything. And missed field goals...too bad because their defense looked great considering Minnesota's big plays on offense both looked like an accident.

Even at speed that tackle looked fishy. I think maybe the NFL needs to review personal fouls like the horse collar tackle and face masking. Unlike a holding call, which can almost be called every other play, a face mask or horse collar is obvious on review. When it can impact the game and risk injuring players so much I dont' see any reason that a play like last night should not have ended up with a personal foul, no fumble, Saints 1st down. Especially given that were there no face mask there would have been no fumble or even tackle at that point.

Oh, and Adrianna Peterson better wake up soon. Club Chilly and tell Ferrotte to give you the damn ball!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting