Predicting AP's biggest game - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Predicting AP's biggest game

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Predicting AP's biggest game

Postby 2ksports » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:27 pm

I think the Saints showed how to stop the Vikings. The Vikings offense was just horrendous on Monday Night and had no business of winning that game.

Detroit however is not the Saints. They are without a good leader and without a GM. They are team in turmoil and they will get stomped on.

However, without a RUNNING threat at the QB position like Tavaris Jackson, the Vikes will have trouble moving the ball on the ground. With Jackson at QB, one defender on each side of the ball will always be watching for the bootleg (more discipline), leaving it open for Peterson to go up the middle. With Gus Ferrotte, those 2 defenders are now both keyed in on Peterson as Ferrote is not a bootleg threat. In passing situations, those 2 players would likely just go on a blitz and open up gaps in the middle for a LB or lineman to stunt and crush Ferrotte. The QB change has hurt the Minny offense.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:45 am

Spartan03 wrote:They didn't earn that win. The Saints gift-wrapped it for them.

2ksports wrote:I think the Saints showed how to stop the Vikings. The Vikings offense was just horrendous on Monday Night and had no business of winning that game.

Detroit however is not the Saints. They are without a good leader and without a GM. They are team in turmoil and they will get stomped on.

However, without a RUNNING threat at the QB position like Tavaris Jackson, the Vikes will have trouble moving the ball on the ground. With Jackson at QB, one defender on each side of the ball will always be watching for the bootleg (more discipline), leaving it open for Peterson to go up the middle. With Gus Ferrotte, those 2 defenders are now both keyed in on Peterson as Ferrote is not a bootleg threat. In passing situations, those 2 players would likely just go on a blitz and open up gaps in the middle for a LB or lineman to stunt and crush Ferrotte. The QB change has hurt the Minny offense.

They even showed on NFL Live that not only did the Saints have 8 in the box for nearly every snap, but occasionally brought 9 up. Spartan you are seriously taking away from the Vikes D. They caused many of those turnovers and held the Saints to 1 offensive TD which was on the first drive of the game. If 2ksports thought the Vikes Offense was horrendous I can't imagine the words he would use to describe the Saints offense which was much much much much much much worse than the vikings. Like they said on PTI... If it weren't for Bush running back two punts, the Saints had no business being in that game at all.

It's blatantly obvious that the Vikes need to fire Chilly. A part of me had hoped the Vikes would lose so we could fire Chilly. We need a QB and I hope this offseason we can find one. There's a certain starting QB in Arizona that is a FA after the year.

How much does it suck the Vikes passed on Brees a couple offseason's ago. 8-o
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:55 am

treat24 wrote:

2ksports wrote:I think the Saints showed how to stop the Vikings. The Vikings offense was just horrendous on Monday Night and had no business of winning that game.

They even showed on NFL Live that not only did the Saints have 8 in the box for nearly every snap, but occasionally brought 9 up. Spartan you are seriously taking away from the Vikes D. They caused many of those turnovers and held the Saints to 1 offensive TD on the first drive. If 2ksports thought the Vikes Offense was horrendous I can't imagine the words he would use to describe the Saints offense which was much much much much much much worse than the vikings. Like they said on PTI... If it weren't for Bush running back two punts, the Saints had no business being in that game at all.

It's blatantly obvious that the Vikes need to fire Chilly. A part of me had hoped the Vikes would lose so we could fire Chilly. We need a QB and I hope this offseason we can find one. There's a certain starting QB in Arizona that is a FA after the year.

maybe the Lions will trade you Kitna for a 7th rounder
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:57 am

I would do that deal in a heartbeat dan... let's make some calls. :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Spartan03 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:59 pm

I wasn't saying the Vikes don't have a good defense, but it's not like they were dominant at all in that game. Some of the Saints mistakes were caused by Minnesota's greatness (couldn't think of a better word here, sorry), but I can think of 2 that were not. The Bush fumble with the face mask shouldn't have ever happened. Another one is when Brees threw a catchable ball to Lance Moore and he bobbled it, then threw it up right into a Vikings defender's hands. The latter was still a legitimate turnover, but that was not really to the credit of the Vikings defense (except for being aware) but more to the detriment of Lance Moore.

The Saints shut down AD, but lose? I'm not a Vikings enthusiast, but how often does that happen? Minnesota came through at the end when it mattered, but overall it really looked like they got outplayed on both sides of the ball. That's why I said the Saints gift-wrapped it with their errors. Maybe I'm downplaying the Vikings' efforts, but I don't think so. Oh well.
Spartan03
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby 2ksports » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:45 pm

treat24 wrote:

They even showed on NFL Live that not only did the Saints have 8 in the box for nearly every snap, but occasionally brought 9 up. Spartan you are seriously taking away from the Vikes D. They caused many of those turnovers and held the Saints to 1 offensive TD which was on the first drive of the game. If 2ksports thought the Vikes Offense was horrendous I can't imagine the words he would use to describe the Saints offense which was much much much much much much worse than the vikings. Like they said on PTI... If it weren't for Bush running back two punts, the Saints had no business being in that game at all.

Regardless, my point is that Tavaris Jackson actually helps out Peterson alot because it causes hesitation for defenders and creates holes and pancake blocks. I think they should put him back in and keep handing it off to Peterson with occasional bootlegs and playaction-bootleg pass-option to Berrian. They will score over 20 ppg doing this and that's more than enough for the Minny D b/c that style of offense eats up clock like crazy.

Fantasy wise, it is good for Peterson too b/c he will get over 30 carries a game.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:20 am

I think I'll have to disagree with the Tav Jax premise. His ability to run the ball and inability to throw it would lead to the 8 man in the box strategy working better. Remember, the way to beat that D is to throw over it. TavJax has never shown the ability to do that with any measurable success.

If AD doesn't go for over 150yds vs the Marinellis (Lions) then I feel he will not break the 200 yard barrier this season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk