All but over for LT id say - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

All but over for LT id say

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: All but over for LT id say

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 am

A cautionary thought. What if the Bolts continue to suck and the Broncos continue to excel? If the Bolts are eliminated from the playoffs by week 14 or 15, what is the likelyhood that LT would be sat out to heal his toe and the rest of his bod? At the very least it wouldn't seem unreasonable to see him use much less, no?

Man, heroes die fast in this league.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Anything is possible, just in varying degrees. San Diego, playing horrendously, is still 2-3 and a 1/2 game out a of a wildcard.

As thrown out for the LT2 stats, San Diego last year was 2-3 as well. Went 9-2 in their last 11. I don't think they will do that again, but 8-3 or 7-4 is a reality.

I have made several offers for LT2, hopefully someone bites.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Azrael » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:11 pm

spodog wrote:
shagworth wrote:Our first LT is finished thread of 2008..awesome, I figured it was about that time.

Lets take a trip down memory lane Cafe...

2007 through first 5 games LT had

329 yards rushing
194 receiving
3 TD's

How about 2006? Lets see first 5 game stats...
396 yards rushing
83 receiving
3 TD's

Now Lets look at 2008 through 5 games.
331 yards rushing
80 yards receiving
4 TD's

You act like his stats are off the mark for this time of year....Heck, his TD's are actually up. But he's done with right...
Lets dig a hole for him...

I just dug these stats out myself the other day to remind me not to toss him on the junk heap. Thanks for posting them, you probably saved a number of others from trading him for way too little.

But again, he did not have this turf toe problem slowing him down. His schedule is favorable but the toe is going to be an issue all year. I would expect that he would still get his share of TDs but I don't expect the yards out of him as in the past.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby 2ksports » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:40 pm

stats are nice, but he actually looks worse than in the past. that turf toe is hurting him.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby climbmda71 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:40 pm

I don't think it's over, and I am counting on him returning to very legit RB1 form, if not top 5 form. However, this week he is benched for Forte and Jacobs in sweet matchups. I will play matchups with those 3 backs until LT performs at an ASYS level.
Some people are like slinkies... They don't really do anything, yet you can't help but smile when they tumble down the stairs.
climbmda71
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby TheMaizeAndBlue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:25 pm

Now, I'm not saying that LT will just shrug off his turf toe and retake his mantle of unquestioned #1 RB, but how low do you expect him to drop due to the toe? favorable schedule+goal line carries+potent offense= good fantasy RB. Even an 80% LT can perform like a top 15 RB, and that's the bottom for him IMO, barring further injury. If he's healthy, obviously he's a top 5 lock. I just think that the over reactions about how LT is done are a bit much.
TheMaizeAndBlue
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Azrael » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:17 pm

TheMaizeAndBlue wrote:Now, I'm not saying that LT will just shrug off his turf toe and retake his mantle of unquestioned #1 RB, but how low do you expect him to drop due to the toe? favorable schedule+goal line carries+potent offense= good fantasy RB. Even an 80% LT can perform like a top 15 RB, and that's the bottom for him IMO, barring further injury. If he's healthy, obviously he's a top 5 lock. I just think that the over reactions about how LT is done are a bit much.

Why would I not expect him to drop due to the toe? Do you realize how important a big toe is to a RB being explosive? He can't push off and he can't cut and juke on it. He can't jump over the pile to get in the endzone. Everyone is describing his play as slow and plodding. Turf toe is a painful debilitating injury that does not go away unless you rest a long time. I don't care if you are LT or whoever. I remember having Chris Brown in 2004 and he was a monster until he developed turf toe. Then for awhile he'd play until halftime and couldn't go anymore. Finally they shut him down. McFadden has turf toe. In the first 2 games he was ripping it up. But the last 2 he's been hampered by the injury. The difference between ripping off huge runs and getting tackled for a loss is often just a fraction of a second.

The part that bothers me is how he kept talking about it "getting there, getting better" when really it wasn't and he came out and said that after this last game. At this point Sproles is a better option than LT because he's healthy. Health is so huge. I wouldn't even call LT 80%, because he sure as hell isn't playing like it. But he will play because he's LT. What they should do is suck it up and sit him for a month and work Sproles and Hester until he's healthy. Otherwise it's probably going to be more of the same all year. His schedule really isn't that easy until he hits a 4 game stretch from weeks 12-15. He'll have his big games against crappy KC but NE, @Buf, @NO, Pit, and @Tam are going to be tough.

Don't get me wrong, he's not going to be crap. I'd still expect him to score 12+TDs. I just don't think his yardage is going to be that huge because he doesn't have that explosiveness and escapability we're accustomed to.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby TheMaizeAndBlue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:34 pm

I'm aware how important the big toe is, and that comment wasn't directed at you, but more as a general comment for those who are saying LT is done, LT is one the waiver wire and I'm not sure if he's worth a pick up etc. I also didnt say don't expect him to drop, I said don't expect him to drop out of the top 15. 12 TDs (which is what you're predicting) and around 60 yards a game from here on out, which I think we can all agree would NOT be up to LT standards, and therefore would be an example of him dropping, would put him at close to 1000 yards rushing, and 12 TDs. Those stats are very comparable to Marion Barber last year (975 yards rushing, 12 total TDs). Marion Barber was a top 10 RB, #7 IIRC. Unless you are changing your TD prediction, or expect him to average under 50 yards rushing a game from here on out, I don't think there's anything unreasonable about saying LT will remain a top 15 back.
TheMaizeAndBlue
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:14 pm

I think we can agree that the days of LT outright dominating every other RB are over, at least for this year while he has the toe injury. I don't think me or most people here are expecting LT to totally fall off like Shaun Alexander, but more that he will just be a solid RB1 option rather than the monster he has been unless his toe has a miraculous recovery.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheMaizeAndBlue » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:21 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:I think we can agree that the days of LT outright dominating every other RB are over, at least for this year while he has the toe injury. I don't think me or most people here are expecting LT to totally fall off like Shaun Alexander, but more that he will just be a solid RB1 option rather than the monster he has been unless his toe has a miraculous recovery.

I'd agree with that statement.
TheMaizeAndBlue
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk