Giants RBs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Giants RBs

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:48 pm

Week 6 numbers:
Brandon Jacobs- 15 rush, 136 yds, 2 TDs, 1 rec., 9 yds
Derrick Ward- 7 rush, 40 yds, 2 rec. 10 yds
Ahmad Bradshaw- 11 rush, 65 yds

Looks like Bradshaw might end up being a thorn in the side of Ward owners, but I still think Ward makes a decent flex play week 6 @ CLE.

The most important development I saw in today's game was that Jacobs replaced Ward at 1st and GL on the 1 yard line. Until this week, Coughlin had left Ward in at the goal line when it was his drive. Hopefully this means that Jacobs will be getting a bigger majority of the goal line carries going forward. Jacobs stock went up today.

Who do you think will be a better flex play down the stretch? Ward or Bradshaw?
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Giants RBs

Postby dgan » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:09 pm

I like Ward. He seems to be more versatile and is able to carry more of the load whenever Jacobs misses his typical two games due to injury.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:13 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Week 6 numbers:

Looks like Bradshaw might end up being a thorn in the side of Ward owners, but I still think Ward makes a decent flex play week 6 @ CLE.

The most important development I saw in today's game was that Jacobs replaced Ward at 1st and GL on the 1 yard line. Until this week, Coughlin had left Ward in at the goal line when it was his drive. Hopefully this means that Jacobs will be getting a bigger majority of the goal line carries going forward. Jacobs stock went up today.

Todays numbers a meaningless. That was an imaginary defense. Bradshaw got his carries/yards mainly at the end of the game in garbage time. I would say, if anything, this makes Bradshaw look like a lesser option.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:42 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Week 6 numbers:

Todays numbers a meaningless. That was an imaginary defense. Bradshaw got his carries/yards mainly at the end of the game in garbage time. I would say, if anything, this makes Bradshaw look like a lesser option.

I don't see how it could make him look like a lesser option. I do still think that Ward is the primary backup, however -- but if/when Jacobs sprains his lady parts and goes down, both Ward and Bradshaw could become valuable.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)

Postby mikus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:44 am

Yes, if Jacobs gets hurt then Bradshaw's value goes up. But right now, he is only seeing action in garbage time of blowouts. Ward is the primary backup splitting time with Jacobs, and Bradshaw has been an afterthought in closer games.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:The most important development I saw in today's game was that Jacobs replaced Ward at 1st and GL on the 1 yard line. Until this week, Coughlin had left Ward in at the goal line when it was his drive.

Isn't there only one instance of that, the CIN game? I think that was a matter of circumstance since Ward was really the most effective runner that day.

If Jacobs gets hurt both Ward and A.B. will get plenty of touches but I still believe that A.B. will be more effective putting up fantasy points.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby GridIronGreat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 am

Does anyone have any insight on what the Giants long-term plans are? I think Jacobs and Ward are both Free Agents after this year. Will they resign one or both? Any info would be appreciated.
GridIronGreat
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Amazinz » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 am

No insight. It's constantly talked about on Giants forums. Giants are reportedly working on Eli's new deal. We'll probably know more after that. The Giants will have some tough decisions to make going into next year. My hunch is that Jacobs will be resigned and Ward will be gone. A.B. can replace Ward in my mind. I guess the big question with Jacobs is still his long term health and the fact that the Giants probably need a Ward/Bradshaw-type to compliment him. On the plus side, he has developed into one of the best pass-blocking RBs in the league.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby comm1680 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 pm

I drafted Bradshaw in a late round, but actually dropped him for Ward after watching a few games. Ward and Jacobs were alternating series last week. I think Ward would be the primary if Jacobs got injured.

Bradshaw looks to be in the plans for next year. He only seems to get into games late when the Giants are up and the opposing defense is tired. I agree with Ward probably moving on after this year.
comm1680
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:28 pm

I'm a Jacobs owner in one league and I just traded Anthony Gonzalez to pickup Derrick Ward.

I think if Jacobs goes down, Ward comes in and doesn't miss a beat.

Bradshaw to me is the mopup/COP only.
--

As for next season, I'm getting this gut feeling that NY let's Jacobs walk. I think Ward can still be signed for below market value and with Bradshaw in place there I don't think they would be too worried about rolling with a Ward/Bradshaw/rookie or unknown combo at RB in 2009.

Jacobs seems to be a little bit of a head case, he doesn't have the top gear that the great RBs all have, and he will probably want more money than he is worth.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Return to Football Talk