Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter?

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 am

I'm sure that most of you have been watching, and have noticed White's last couple of big performances in a row.

If you need reminding, they went something like this...
Catches Yards TD
Week 3 (KAN) 5 119 1
Week 4 (@CAR) 7 90 0
Week 5 (@GNB) 8 132 1

( http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1 )

Now KC is bad, really really bad, but Carolina is 3rd against the pass allowing 156 YPG and the packers are a middle of the road 13th allowing 201.8 YPG. I know with Al Harris out he wasn't seeing top end coverage but Woodson, even slightly hobbled, is no joke.

I haven't been able to see the games, unfortunately, but it seems to me that hes developing a rapport and chemistry with Ryan. Keeping in mind that the kid will be somewhat erratic (see week 2 against the Bucs, although White still had a serviceable 59 yards on 4 catches), are we starting to see the continuation of last season and White emerging as viable no. 2, and possibly even no 1 WR?
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:29 pm

He should continue to be a solid WR2. As long as Ryan keeps throwing bombs, White only needs to catch one to have a pretty good fantasy day.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:32 pm

I'd say he's been reliable for a little over a year now. Solid #2 WR IMO, I would like to see him find the endzone a bit more before I lable him a #1 WR. It would take a lot to pry him from me in a dynasty. He is a great talent and Ryan appears to be the real deal.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:34 pm

Thats the thing though, it looks to me by the stats and the receptions that hes more than just their deep threat. His TD yesterday was 22 yards and his long was 37, not exactly bombtastic. Still, he had 8 catches and a really solid 132 yards receiving. I'm starting to think that he should be a solid play week to week, not just when they hook up on a deep one.

Edit: Also I wasn't a huge fan of him last year due to his week to week inconsistencies, partially because of erratic (bad) QB play. Its too early to tell, but I'm beginning to wonder if that problem isn't going away.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:46 pm

What type of league are you in that he is "emerging as a reliable" starter? He was a top 12-18 WR off the board in most leagues, around guys like Holmes, Bowe and Roy Williams.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:51 pm

Good points Gnu. Ryan is determined to get White the ball, and unlike Bowe who is on a horrible offense, the Falcons offense is doing pretty good for what was expected for them before the year started. White should continue to do well.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:53 pm

I was able to snag him in the draft as my third WR and he been very consistent so far. Nothing great but always putting up solid numbers. As Ryan gets better so does his stats. Ryan has been targeting him often.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:55 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:What type of league are you in that he is "emerging as a reliable" starter? He was a top 12-18 WR off the board in most leagues, around guys like Holmes, Bowe and Roy Williams.

Thats simply untrue... he was ranked in the low 20s coming into this season (the Cafe had him at 21.3) , a flex/WR3 wide out or a low WR 2 in deeper leagues and a 6-7th round selection. Even then there were as many people that were bull on him as there were bear. Thats not even the point considering that we're talking about him as a high WR2, low-mid WR 1. Hes currently lying inside the top 10.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 pm

Gnu314 wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:What type of league are you in that he is "emerging as a reliable" starter? He was a top 12-18 WR off the board in most leagues, around guys like Holmes, Bowe and Roy Williams.

Thats simply untrue... he was ranked in the low 20s coming into this season (the Cafe had him at 21.3) , a flex/WR3 wide out or a low WR 2 in deeper leagues and a 6-7th round selection. Even then there were as many people that were bull on him as there were bear. Thats not even the point considering that we're talking about him as a high WR2, low-mid WR 1. Hes currently lying inside the top 10.

Well a low-mid WR1 isnt a "reliable fantasy starter". Thats a stud. To be fair, the 12-18 was more of a keeper range since he jumped guys like Marvin and Hines, but I just didn't like the terminology of "reliable"

White came into this season as a start every week guy in my book, not a matchups player. Considering he was a top 10 WR last year with his horrible QBs his performance this year is hardly a surprise
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:40 pm

Again... thats untrue.

He was the 15th ranked wide out based on my scoring last season (standard +.2 ppr).

If you look at the game log, http://www.nfl.com/players/roddywhite/g ... eason=2007 , its even more telling.

He was the epitome of a match up play last season, going low against Carolina, TB twice including an absolute stinker in the first week of the playoffs, and a moderate game against NO which was saved by a TD. But if you look at the reception totals and the long receptions he was getting used primarily as a deep threat... look at the string of 3-4 reception games broken up by a solid 8 catch performance and a so so 6 catch 57 yard performance. I'm not trying to say he was bad last season, he had some real gems going into the playoffs, but he just wasn't consistent or the centerpiece of the passing game.

Really what I would love to see out of him this season is a more even distribution of 1300 total yards and 8-10 TDs which would be ideal numbers for a WR2.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk