Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Roddy White, emerging as a reliable fantasy starter?

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:44 pm

He's been reliable for well over a year now, I love Roddy and have been calling him legit for a long time time...I had him, Bowe, and Jennings bunched together in my dynasty rankings but each time I opted to take Roddy over all 3...People were questioning how he would perform this year saying he might drop off but Ryan HAD to be better then the revolving door he had at QB last year, and the running game would be there this time to open things up.

He's obviously the #1 guy and looks like he can start putting up Chad Johnson type numbers for some time, 90/1300/10 is the type of season I see him racking up a few times in the future...Him and Ryan both are still young and only going to get better so the future is bright...Jennings may probably be better and more productive I just always felt if ATL got a legit QB who could throw the deep ball he would flourish so I'm not the least bit surprised.

If you want consistency just look at last year, he had 50+ yds in 13 games, and had at least 6 catches in 13 as well, with the crap he had at QB...He's certainly no fluke.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Gnu314 wrote:Again... thats untrue.

He was the 15th ranked wide out based on my scoring last season (standard +.2 ppr).

If you look at the game log, http://www.nfl.com/players/roddywhite/g ... eason=2007 , its even more telling.

He was the epitome of a match up play last season, going low against Carolina, TB twice including an absolute stinker in the first week of the playoffs, and a moderate game against NO which was saved by a TD. But if you look at the reception totals and the long receptions he was getting used primarily as a deep threat... look at the string of 3-4 reception games broken up by a solid 8 catch performance and a so so 6 catch 57 yard performance. I'm not trying to say he was bad last season, he had some real gems going into the playoffs, but he just wasn't consistent or the centerpiece of the passing game.

Really what I would love to see out of him this season is a more even distribution of 1300 total yards and 8-10 TDs which would be ideal numbers for a WR2.

He was 8th in yardage. Sure, he had a couple bad games, but so does every elite WR, and he really only had 1 "bad" game. And dont forget he was dealing with QBs named Redman and Harrington.

Look at the log for Colston. Looks pretty similar doesnt it?
Outside a couple TDs the two players were awfully similar.
http://www.nfl.com/players/marquescolst ... eason=2007
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Gnu314 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:13 pm

Sorry but it doesn't look similar at all... the comparison is there in terms of yardage but Colston had more consistent yardage production across the 2nd half of the season (which is all I was really looking at), far more TDs and far more receptions, which was my whole point.

White's reception totals have been up game to game from the beginning of last season which, to me, is an indicator of increased importance to the offense. Hes currently on pace for the same number of catches but I think that is skewed by his week 1 performance and 90+ isn't unreasonable.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:35 pm

As I've watched every Falcons game this year I feel I got a pretty good take on this. White is definitely the real deal and Ryan is far better than most people think. Ryan looks to White early and often (I believe he had 2-3 catches for almost 60 yards on the first drive this week), he's got pretty good hands and he runs routes well. He's also got some speed. I actually think the Colston comparison is not bad except that Colston has a far better QB. Atlanta also runs the ball extremely well so they set up the pass nicely. Falcons also have a pretty easy schedule (their division is not great in terms of D except TBay). I'd say White is a definite top 15 WR with top 10 potential. Ryan has taken significant steps every week. 1400 yards and 7 TDs is not that much of a stretch.

And whoever said he's not a consistent yardage producer like Colston, he's had games of 54, 59, 119, 90, 132. If we assume the first two were due to Ryan's inexperience then White should average 70-80 yards per game at the lowest.

If you can still trade for this guy do it, he's still very underrated. He's definitely a reliable WR1. People laugh at me when I say he's a top 10 WR (even though he is). I was only able to get him cause somebody dropped him before the season even started. I mean COME ON :-D ;-D
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:33 pm

I thought Roddy was a sleeper before the draft. Unfortunately I didn't get to snag him in any drafts this year.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:10 pm

bobbing_headz wrote:As I've watched every Falcons game this year I feel I got a pretty good take on this.

thats a falcons logo....ive been looking at your pic for 2 years now and just now realized what that is. im retarded :*)
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Gnu314 wrote:Really what I would love to see out of him this season is a more even distribution of 1300 total yards and 8-10 TDs which would be ideal numbers for a WR2.

With all due respect, I have a hard time getting how those aren't WR1 numbers.

In 06, 4 guys had 1300 yards or better. Only 2 had more than 10 TDs. One of those, T.O. had less than 1200 yards.
In 07, 6 guys had 1300 yards or better. 5 of the top 10 yardage WRs from last season will not place in the top 10 this year. Roddy White is on target to end up there. 7 WRs had more than 10 TDs. 4 of those guys, due to crappy teams or injuries, will not come close to repeating those TD numbers.

1300 yards and 8-10 TDs is a stud WR1. It may not be the top WR out there, but it's a game-changing stud FF WR1.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Roddy White reminds me of Chad Johnson a few years back.

Solid WR#2, top15 guy for me now that I've seen Matt Ryan can throw the ball downfield. I do think he will have some down weeks though. Atlanta still has a ways to go.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby spodog » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:28 pm

Gnu314 wrote:I'm sure that most of you have been watching, and have noticed White's last couple of big performances in a row.

If you need reminding, they went something like this...
Catches Yards TD
Week 3 (KAN) 5 119 1
Week 4 (@CAR) 7 90 0
Week 5 (@GNB) 8 132 1

( http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-n=1 )

Now KC is bad, really really bad, but Carolina is 3rd against the pass allowing 156 YPG and the packers are a middle of the road 13th allowing 201.8 YPG. I know with Al Harris out he wasn't seeing top end coverage but Woodson, even slightly hobbled, is no joke.

I haven't been able to see the games, unfortunately, but it seems to me that hes developing a rapport and chemistry with Ryan. Keeping in mind that the kid will be somewhat erratic (see week 2 against the Bucs, although White still had a serviceable 59 yards on 4 catches), are we starting to see the continuation of last season and White emerging as viable no. 2, and possibly even no 1 WR?

emerging?

He has been a solid starter in almost all formats since about Week 12 of 2007.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby superslugger616 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:17 pm

I have alot of confidence in Roddy this year. Teams have to focus on the running game with the way Turner/Norwood are running, and Roddy is easily Ryan's favorite target when they have to pass. He's a great athlete and should finish a top 10 WR this year. One of the better value picks at WR so far...
superslugger616
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk