Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues?

Postby Popcynical » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:49 pm

I'm in a couple leagues this year. One counts TD returns for 4 points (I'm commish of that league) and the other one does not.

My argument is that a punt return for a TD can be game changing and should be rewarded with points in FF. How is a guy (in a PPR league) catch the ball for a loss of two and get more points than a guy who ran back a 60 yard punt return?

Your opinions?
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues?

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:53 pm

I like it scored for D/ST but not for individual players.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Popcynical » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:57 pm

Amazinz wrote:I like it scored for D/ST but not for individual players.

Could you explain your view of why it's not good to credit the player who actually scored please?

I'm trying to see if people have mixed views or a general consensus.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wurmz07 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:02 pm

All of the leagues I'm in count return TDs for both the DS/T and the player returning the kick.

I'd tends to over-value a few players, but overall makes it a little bit more exciting. I played in a league that counted return yards last year, Ted Ginn and Hester were the first two off the board, THAT was no fun. :-t
wurmz07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby shagworth » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:07 pm

Similar question in other thread...good answer posted by matt over there

I've never thought that special teams should be included in team defense. They really have absolutely nothing to do with each other. I think the yardage and TDs should go to the individual player (when offensive unless your league uses IDPs) and the kicking goes to the kicker which covers all of the special teams. You don't need to add it into defense because many times they are counterproductive. A poor defense will be scored on plenty thus getting more opportunities for kick returns and possible points.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:17 pm

Popcynical wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I like it scored for D/ST but not for individual players.

Could you explain your view of why it's not good to credit the player who actually scored please?

Sure but I wouldn't say it's not good though, just that it's my personal preference. Not all RB or WR are PR/KR so those results tend to skew the position. It allows certain players an opportunity to score that most others at the position don't have. I hate elite PR/KR-ing WRs. Just personal bias. ;-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:22 pm

shagworth wrote:Similar question in other thread...good answer posted by matt over there

I've never thought that special teams should be included in team defense. They really have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I think they have a lot do with each other and I don't think you can make the argument that ST has nothing to do with DEF and then the argument that it has something to do with OFF. I guess you could score ST as a separate entity but I don't think is a good reason to score ST for individual players (not that you need one if you enjoy it).
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Goody » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:29 pm

In EVERY league I play/played in, return TDs count for the individual and to the D/ST. I don't play in return yard leagues, becuase as previously stated by others, it skews the scoring and provides opportunities for certain RB/WR that are unavailable to others. It doesn't really portray performance as the team with the worst defense gets the most opportunities to return kicks.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shagworth » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Amazinz wrote:
shagworth wrote:Similar question in other thread...good answer posted by matt over there

I've never thought that special teams should be included in team defense. They really have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

I think they have a lot do with each other and I don't think you can make the argument that ST has nothing to do with DEF and then the argument that it has something to do with OFF. I guess you could score ST as a separate entity but I don't think is a good reason to score ST for individual players (not that you need one if you enjoy it).

What DOES special teams have to do with defense? It IS a seperate entity...In my opinon.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 pm

Our leagues count the TDs for the individual player, but NOT for the DEF (we believe in just defensive stats, not special team stats). And no points for return yards for anyone (NO SOUP FOR YOU!)

I believe that every TD scored in a game should be credited to someone, so I believe it's ludicrous to not give fantasy points to a player that scored a TD, regardless of how the TD was achieved.
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Football Talk