Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Should return TDs count in fantasy leagues?

Postby Amazinz » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:09 pm

shagworth wrote:What DOES special teams have to do with defense? It IS a seperate entity...In my opinon.

Special teams = field position and field position is critical to defense. Offense too. I agree it's best to think of it as a separate entity. But the idea that it has nothing to do with defense but something to do with offense (which is what you are saying when you attribute ST TDs to offensive IDPs) is wrong IMHO.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shagworth » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:52 pm

Amazinz wrote:
shagworth wrote:What DOES special teams have to do with defense? It IS a seperate entity...In my opinon.

Special teams = field position and field position is critical to defense. Offense too. I agree it's best to think of it as a separate entity. But the idea that it has nothing to do with defense but something to do with offense (which is what you are saying when you attribute ST TDs to offensive IDPs) is wrong IMHO.

I mean, if PacMan Jones runs one back he should get a touchdown also. You just have to be in a Defensive IDP league.

I think there is no right or wrong to this question. It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like D/ST leagues, some don't. Some like PPR leagues, some don't. Some like defensive IDP leagues...and so on. I do get your point though.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby 2ksports » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:06 pm

They should, which statwise means Reggie Bush the #1 fantasy player in the NFL right now.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:33 pm

Amazinz wrote:
Popcynical wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I like it scored for D/ST but not for individual players.

Could you explain your view of why it's not good to credit the player who actually scored please?

Sure but I wouldn't say it's not good though, just that it's my personal preference. Not all RB or WR are PR/KR so those results tend to skew the position. It allows certain players an opportunity to score that most others at the position don't have. I hate elite PR/KR-ing WRs. Just personal bias. ;-)

I don't like guys getting credit for return yardage, but they just have to get credit for the TDs. Usually the guys returning punts and kickoffs aren't in the top 20 at their position and even the very best of them get what? 4 TDs per year.

Some RBs never get to carry the ball near the goal line. Some WRs never get to return punts. I don't really see the difference. If my fantasy player scores a TD on a return, I better darn well get credit.
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:26 pm

I believe the IDP should get credit for those return TD's, I really don't like leagues that do not award pts for those...Why give those pts to the defense when alot of times its an offensive player who ran the kick back.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:15 am

I side with you guys who say it should count for the individual player, but not for DEF...

If your "defense/ST" on your fantasy team gets credit for special teams returns, then why dont they get credit for field goals too? Thats a special teams play.

The individual returner should certainly get points, because in the NFL you are more valuable as a player if you can return punts well. It should be the same in fantasy land.
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Amazinz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:21 am

Well we generally use a PK slot so FG for D/ST would be doubling up. WR that can play nickel in dime packages are also valuable but would people want to score a potential INT in that case? I know it's rare but it makes the point. When a WR/RB is returning kicks they are playing another position.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:42 am

Amazinz wrote:Well we generally use a PK slot so FG for D/ST would be doubling up. WR that can play nickel in dime packages are also valuable but would people want to score a potential INT in that case? I know it's rare but it makes the point. When a WR/RB is returning kicks they are playing another position.

TEs line up as recievers all the time. In some cases they line up in the backfield. Should they only get points when they are used as TEs? Certainly not.

I see your point of view, but IMO, a touchdown is a touchdown no matter how you slice it. When you draft a player, it would be nice to know that youre going to get credit for every big play he makes on the field. Return TDs are big plays, and they should be rewarded.
StudentOfTheGame
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Football Talk