Remember when.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Remember when....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Remember when....

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:15 pm

....When Dick Jauron was a bum?
He's looking at signing a new extension to his contract, and is leading the Bills to one of their best seasons since Jim Kelly and 1992.

....When the firing of Wayne Fontes was a welcome and overdue thought.
Making the playoffs seems like an impossibility, nevermind 3 consecutive years (93 - 95).

....When Scotty Mitchell was a lousy QB?

....When 8-8 wasn't good enough?

....When a Draft still produced talent past the 1st round?

....When we could win on the Road?

....When it seemed like a good idea to bring in a hard nosed disciplined coach like Bobby Ross?

...When we could get a turnover?

....When we could get an INT?

...When one of our WRs was not just talented, but could own the single season reception record?

...When we COULD RUN THE BALL!?!

....When it was exciting to watch a Lions game.

sigh. Nothing like sinking to new lows to make a mediocre past look good.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Remember when....

Postby Santacruzer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:06 pm

He he. Just one day later....here's an article from http://www.detnews.com
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Rob Parker

Fontes era looking pretty good now

If anybody knows anything about bad football, it's former Lions who played in the Wayne Fontes Era.

Those teams, or so we thought, were some of the most underachieving squads the NFL has seen. The schedule would usually dictate how they would finish each year.

If they had a soft schedule, it meant they would go to the playoffs. A tough schedule and the Lions would be 5-11 and be on the outside looking in.

But sometimes you don't appreciate a team until later on, when you can compare it to something else. And as bad as some of those Lions teams were -- and some were, indeed, horrid -- they were still 100 times better than what we have seen the past eight years.

The current Lions, 0-4 and losers of 11 of their last 12 games, leave a lot to be desired.

"I'm very surprised," former safety Ron Rice said on Tuesday. "It seemed like a lot of the pieces of the puzzle were actually coming together."

Rice, who played for his hometown team from 1995-'01, spent time as a front-office intern this past training camp. He was on the scene and got to watch the team prepare up close. He was most impressed with the offense.

"I'm shocked to see that four games in, that they're losing every game by an average of 20 points," Rice said.

Lomas Brown, a former offensive lineman and current "ESPN First Take" football analyst, agrees with Rice.

Brown didn't think the Lions deserved all the preseason publicity they got by some experts after going 4-0.

Still, he never imagined what has taken place thus far.

"It's shocking," said Brown, who played in Motown from 1985 to 1995. "It really is.

"I heard all the preseason talk, all the optimism. This is just the last thing expected. Not only are they playing bad, they're playing uninspired and they really look like they don't know what they're doing out there."
Modicum of success

Some thought the same thing when Fontes was in charge from 1988-96. Fontes is both the winningest and losingest coach in team history with a career 67-71 record in eight-plus seasons.

Fontes' Lions, like them or not, are the only Lions team to win a postseason game in the last 50 years. The 1991 Lions beat the Cowboys 38-6 to advance into the NFC championship game against the Redskins.

It was after that victory that broadcaster John Madden proclaimed that, "You're seeing the two teams of the 90s -- the Lions and Cowboys.

"You'll be seeing a lot of them."

The Cowboys went on to win three Super Bowls. The Lions ... well ... nada.

"The fans would love to have those teams back," Rice said. "You thought it was bad then."

And while there were some lean times, including back-to-back four-win seasons in 1987 and '88, Brown can't remember anything that looks like the present day Lions, who are 31-85 since 2001 and haven't sniffed the playoffs.

"This is the lowest I've ever sense it since being associated with the Lions since 1985," Brown said.
Newly appreciated

Brown said fans have a newfound fondness to guys he played with. They now appreciate those years with Barry Sanders at the Silverdome.

"When I run across fans in Detroit, they relate to us guys and the guys that played in the Wayne Fontes Era more than the guys who are presently playing right now," said Brown, who later won a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. "They say they wish they had those days again.

"Now, they appreciate what we did back then. Going to the playoffs, five times in the 90s, was pretty good. It's just the complete oppose here."

Enough to make even underachieving former Lions cringe.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 am

Funny when you actually look at history you can see how historically inept this team has become. And it baffles you to think that this ownership has allowed this to happen for so long....and that they may feel Mayhew and Lewand are any more capable to restore any semblance of pride in this organization.

The Lions of the 2-oughts will go down as the worst team in the history of organized sport.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:37 am

moochman wrote:Funny when you actually look at history you can see how historically inept this team has become. And it baffles you to think that this ownership has allowed this to happen for so long....and that they may feel Mayhew and Lewand are any more capable to restore any semblance of pride in this organization.

The Lions of the 2-oughts will go down as the worst team in the history of organized sport.

i came to the conclusion today that if we actually had the personell/coaches for the scheme we are trying to run we could be the Arizona Cardinals...it's a sad day when you'd trade teams with the Cardinals
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Lions