Value of Matt Forte - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Value of Matt Forte

Moderator: Football Moderators

Value of Matt Forte

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:11 pm

I'm curious what people think of Matt Forte. Ranked #6 by nfl.com, he had a 15 carries for 36 yards, a 2.4 average. He salvaged an otherwise unremarkable day, with a rushing TD to go with his 25 yards receiving and receiving TD. The problem was he was going against the Lions, the third most-generous rushing D in the league. Does this change anyon'es perception of him?
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Value of Matt Forte

Postby wurmz07 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:16 am

He's been worked pretty hard in the first 4 games, so after the Bears got a big lead I'm sure they wanted to give their rookie a well deserved break. Look for him to carry the load again in Atlanta. ;-D
wurmz07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ivesaidway2much » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:10 am

He scares me. I like him as a player, but I have a really hard time trusting a rookie that gets as many carries as he does to last the entire season. I'd almost be shocked if he didn't eventually hit the rookie wall like Peterson did last year.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:14 am

I know there's some people here who never really liked his pro prospects, but from a pure fantasy perspective, he's one of the top RBs right now. Won't get obscene yardage or score multiple TDs very often, but the Bears are feeding him the ball consistently and he doesn't really have a handcuff stealing many touches. With all the teams going towards committees, Forte is pretty valuable with his number of touches alone. His receptions are just gravy too for PPR leagues.

Still, there's been talk and worry in Chicago about overworking Forte so much so early. Nothing official from Lovie or the Bears though, of course.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Azrael » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:39 am

You just can't worry about a guy getting overworked. He's a good RB1 and should be played not traded by owners. Usually overworking a back shows up 2-3 years down the road and not necessarily that season. He's young and has a good build to him to make it through the year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:23 pm

beanoX3 wrote:I know there's some people here who never really liked his pro prospects, but from a pure fantasy perspective, he's one of the top RBs right now. Won't get obscene yardage or score multiple TDs very often, but the Bears are feeding him the ball consistently and he doesn't really have a handcuff stealing many touches. With all the teams going towards committees, Forte is pretty valuable with his number of touches alone. His receptions are just gravy too for PPR leagues.

Still, there's been talk and worry in Chicago about overworking Forte so much so early. Nothing official from Lovie or the Bears though, of course.

He is one of the top RBs (#6 in my money league), but I think I have to point out he had 19 touches last week, while Kevin Jones had 12. Forte somewhat compensated with his 4 looks. While Jones could have had so many carries because they wanted to reduce the wear and tear on Forte (which will affect Forte's performance throughout the rest of the season), he may have had so many because it was a blowout from the beginning.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:46 pm

Kareighuis wrote:I'm curious what people think of Matt Forte. Ranked #6 by nfl.com, he had a 15 carries for 36 yards, a 2.4 average. He salvaged an otherwise unremarkable day, with a rushing TD to go with his 25 yards receiving and receiving TD. The problem was he was going against the Lions, the third most-generous rushing D in the league. Does this change anyon'es perception of him?

They were planning on using him less in that game. They wanted KJ involved, and were using the run to set up the pass on one of the most generous pass D's in the league. I think the philosophy in the game was different than it had been in the last few weeks. They are aware of what Forte represents to the team, and are not going to LJ him into the ground and have to replace him in 2 years.

I would NOT be worried about Forte. I would consider him an RB2, who puts up way above average numbers for an RB2, and who was picked up in the late rounds or even off some wires... if you're worried about Forte, then you are viewing his position in your roster/draft out of perspective. He's almost certainly the steal of the 08 FF Draft.

I think you should expect him to continue to be a very solid RB2, maybe a spot start RB1 for the remainder of the year. He will always be used in the pass game, so even against tough rush D, he should still be worth starting.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:48 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
He is one of the top RBs (#6 in my money league), but I think I have to point out he had 19 touches last week, while Kevin Jones had 12. Forte somewhat compensated with his 4 looks. While Jones could have had so many carries because they wanted to reduce the wear and tear on Forte (which will affect Forte's performance throughout the rest of the season), he may have had so many because it was a blowout from the beginning.

It was stated before the game, they were trying to lighten the load for Forte in this game, and wanted to use KJ against his old team, to start seeing what he can do. I would expect them to continue to be careful with Forte, but knowing this team, he's still always going to have start-able looks and touches.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Oh, and for my record 3rd post in a row...

it's worth pointing out that Chris Williams is healthy enough to take part in full practice. He will almost certainly be a starter by year's end. The O-Line has overachieved, and it's only going to get better.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Thanks all. It seems, then, that I might be able trade for him, but there's not a real good chance.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk