Wasn't the TE position supposed to be deep this season? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Wasn't the TE position supposed to be deep this season?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Wasn't the TE position supposed to be deep this season?

Postby SmokyMcNasty » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:15 am

Holy crap, you can't find a reliable TE to save your life. Even Gates and Winslow can't get it going. Jason Witten has been the only consistent TE in the whole league all season. I've been starting a different TE every week..
SmokyMcNasty
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Wasn't the TE position supposed to be deep this season?

Postby wurmz07 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:07 pm

Witten has been an animal. Both San Diego and Cleavland have been struggling, but I expect both teams to turn it around, somewhat. I've been happy with Cooley,though
wurmz07
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby IHaveHumanPlayers » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:33 pm

I've stuck with Heath Miller all year and he FINALLY found the endzone.
The J.J. Brown Remix: 7-4-0
AD! Three years in a row, baby!
IHaveHumanPlayers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby PMax » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:51 pm

TE is never deep. RB's are thinner than ever... Fantasy Football is definitely changing.
PMax
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby BigBlue2005 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:53 am

This year anyone who spent the first 3 picks taking WR's is probably in the top 3 in their leagues. People are still drafting with the old system but RB's aren't what they used to be.

I was looking at an old fantasy football magazine from 02 I think it was and it was amazing how many RB's were putting up 1300 yards and 15 tds. It was like the top 9 rbs that year all had over 1200 yards and 13 tds.

Now it's like there are about 5 top rbs and even those arent performing right and the rest are up and down each week sharing carries.

Top WR's have become the most stable position you can grab. In my 10 team league I nabbed Owens Fitzgerald, and Buress got Forte in the 5th round and made a trade for ronnie brown and calvin johnson last week. When I look at other teams in my league, I see 1 No.1 WR at best on each team and most have only No.2's and 3's and when you compare their running backs, forte and brown are pretty much equal to most of them. The real advantage is having elite WRs

RB's are so unstable now.
BigBlue2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FFslacker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:34 am

Yeah, I essentially went into the draft to get wr's first. Ofc #1 was Brady and that didn't work out so well but Wayne, Jennings, and Cotchery are helping me be the only undefeated team left in my league.
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby sirchadwick1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:40 am

BigBlue2005 wrote:This year anyone who spent the first 3 picks taking WR's is probably in the top 3 in their leagues. People are still drafting with the old system but RB's aren't what they used to be.

Unless you went Moss, Edwards, and Welker as your first 3 picks... lol.

It's not all about WR's, trust me many are still burnt.

FF drafting is becoming more strategic and unpredictable now.
2010 12-team .5PPR
QB - Ryan, Vick
RB - S. Greene, Forte, Stewart, F. Jones, Sproles
WR - Moss, Megatron, NYG Smith, Floyd, M. Williams (TB)
TE - Cooley
D - CIN (week to week)
K - Bironas
sirchadwick1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bomb Squad » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Guys in my league have been crying for the TE to be added to our roster for years. Finally, this year they had enough votes to pass the rule, and the only one that is worth a crap is Whitten. What a wasted roster spot the TE is in '08!
Bomb Squad
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BigBlue2005 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:02 pm

sirchadwick1 wrote:
BigBlue2005 wrote:This year anyone who spent the first 3 picks taking WR's is probably in the top 3 in their leagues. People are still drafting with the old system but RB's aren't what they used to be.

Unless you went Moss, Edwards, and Welker as your first 3 picks... lol.

It's not all about WR's, trust me many are still burnt.

FF drafting is becoming more strategic and unpredictable now.

I guess it's a little bit of luck and a little bit of skill. But with the research I did before our leagues draft something told me to avoid all 3 of those WR's. I took Owens in round 1 while moss was still available and I took Fitzgerald in round 2 over Edwards.

For me, whenever I draft, there are red flag players. These include WR's who are up and down like Moss who has one great season then one crap season, or WR's who have only done great 1 year (Braylon Edwards, Colston). I avoided all of those guys and instead went with Owens who year in and year out is consistently amongst the top 10, Fitzgerald who is another one of the most stable WR's you can have, and Burress (who aside from his suspension has had 2 good weeks and 1 bad week).

If you get stuck in this new fantasy world with WR's who are #2 or 3 as your only starting WR's you are going to see production that goes 20 points one week 1 point the next. Instability in points is one of the ways a team doesn't end up becoming elite.

If you can get yourself 2 or 3 top WR's who are consistent and a couple of sleeper or rookie rbs that fall to rounds 4-6, you will have more stability than a guy who has people like frank gore and westbrook but who also has WR's like Santonio Homlmes, Lavernous Coles.

Larry Fitzgerald and Marion Barber are currently averaging the same amount of points per week. The difference is the guy who had Barber got 3 weeks of 20 points and 2 weeks of 3 points while the guy with Fitzgerald got 5 weeks of 12-17 points. I guarantee the guy who has more players with the kind of consistancy that Fitzgerald has, is winning his league and has a better overall record than the guy who has a bunch of boom or bust players like Marion Barber or Marshawn Lynch.
BigBlue2005
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:11 pm

Definately seemed deep before the season. They are so unpredictable now. I was happy with Scheff, but now he is hurt and I'm scrambling.

My other league I have Cooley. He has under performed until last week.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting