we all underestimated witten - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

we all underestimated witten

Moderator: Football Moderators

we all underestimated witten

Postby centuryjaguars » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:01 pm

I was lucky enough to grab him in one of my 2 leagues.

48 targets 35 receps 442 yards 54 fantasy points

witten, at least in my league is the equivalent of a top ten wideout point wise.

out of the leagues wideouts, he'd be 4th in targets, 1st in receptions, 4th in yards, 9th in points.

this guy is scoring more then the most of these recievers. crazy.
centuryjaguars
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: we all underestimated witten

Postby treat24 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Who underestimated him? Most of the guys here ranked him the #1 TE before the year. He was the first TE off the board (usually 3rd round) in all our mocks and in our rankings section before the season he was above Gates.... :-) ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:17 pm

Yeh really, who would underestimate a guy who had 96 receptions for 1,145 yds and 7 TD's in 2007!!!
:-? :-S
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:16 pm

It's true he is doing very well, having him score the equivalent of a top 10 WR is definitely a nice surprise, but he was considered the #1 TE by many people pre-draft.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby 2ksports » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:37 pm

A healthy gates would give him a run for his money. Gates is still the most feared by defenders and the only TE that is the #1 receiving option of his team in the redzone. I think in the last 8 games once Gates full recovers form injury, Witten will be #2 after Gates.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Finatical » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:39 pm

You obviously underestimated our estimations of Witten. :-?
Finatical
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:42 pm

treat24 wrote:Who underestimated him? Most of the guys here ranked him the #1 TE before the year.

;-D
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby My team is injured » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:52 pm

I actually somewhat agree with the original poster, and I had him ranked as the #1 TE.

The thing is, he probably should have been higher on overall draft boards (at least in PPR leagues), not only based on the great numbers he's putting up, but also largely based on the mediocre to poor #s the rest of the TEs are putting up.

IMO, there aren't even 10 startable TEs when they're all healthy, and a number of the startable ones like Dallas Clark, Shockey, and now Sheffler are missing games due to injury. The only two I thought were worth mentioning with Witten coming into the season (Gates and Winslow) have both under-performed with one battling a lingering injury and the other on a questionable offense. And of course there are the black-hole busts like Vernon and Heap (though he's at least shown something). Others like Cooley, T-gonz, and Owen Daniels are all respectable enough but are getting outscored by a huge margin by Witten, and I'd expect that to stay the same going forward barring injuries.

Without crunching numbers, Witten might have merited being drafted as high as 20 in a PPR redraft, and I'd think surely at least by pick 30. To be honest, if I received a trade offer of say Wayne for Witten straight up, I might not pull the trigger as the drop-off with a replacement TE might end up being starker than a replacement WR. In these respects, he was indeed under-estimated.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby 2ksports » Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:19 pm

That is true, I would not trade Witten or Gates for ANY receiver straight up, even Larry Fitzgerald. In fact I gave up both Hines Ward and Dwayne Bowe after week 1 when they both scored TDs to acquire Gates b/c the point differential for TEs is pretty high.

This also means (in my mind) that Anthony Fasano is worth more than any tier 2 receiver.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:29 am

Who is this Witten fella?

I noticed last season that stud TEs were undervalued in many leagues. Sadly in all but one of my leagues I didn't pull the Witten trigger soon enough. I had underestimated my leauges savy on this unknown TE :-b . Last season in PPR leagues (I think) there were 4 TE in the top 20 receivers.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk