we all underestimated witten - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

we all underestimated witten

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: we all underestimated witten

Postby My team is injured » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:19 pm

treat24 wrote:Who underestimated him? Most of the guys here ranked him the #1 TE before the year. He was the first TE off the board (usually 3rd round) in all our mocks and in our rankings section before the season he was above Gates.... :-) ;-D

He wasn't ranked that high overall from what I recall seeing as well as how he was drafted in my leagues.

(from an average of 4 mocks for PPR leagues from the cafe: http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/2008/player_rankings_12teamppradp.php)

Witten had an ADP of 48.25 and was the 46th player off the board on average in these 4 mocks. Probably slightly lower than he was valued in general. He went at picks 40 and 43 in 2 of my leagues (he was a keeper in the other). When I got him at pick 43 in my one league, I was pleased but wasn't thinking this was an absolute steal and would rather have had steve smith who had gone just beforehand.

None of this is indicative of his value being slotted as a 3rd round pick in a 10 or even 12 team league in drafts this year. In hindsight, he deserved to be picked as high as guys like Gonzo and Gates have gone in past years when they were the clear top TEs, projected to be well above the rest of the pack (early to mid 3rd round is where they often enough went).
Last edited by My team is injured on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kirby » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 pm

I got witten in the 5th round, pick 43 overall. The guy right after me was pissed cause he was going to draft him next.

I think he was a steal at that spot.
Kirby
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 71)

Postby Popcynical » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:10 pm

I traded Favre (who I picked up off the waivers after he 'retired') and my first round pick next year in a dynasty league for Witten. His value at the TE position is helping to make that pick a late one, most likely.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby shagworth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:05 pm

I don't think the topic starter meant we underestimated him as far as rank as TE...I think he meant his overall draft status as a whole (Only 4 WR ranked higher in my league).
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby biju » Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 pm

I'll be the first to say that even though I still drafted Witten in two leagues, I underestimated him. I read an article stating that only 3 TEs have ever had back-to-back 1,000 yard seasons and figured that while he'd have a good year and would probably be worthy of being the first TE off the board, he wouldn't repeat. It looks like I was wrong there.

I just wish I had been able to grab him in more leagues at this point.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Previous

Return to Football Talk