Commish power trip? (epsn league) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commish power trip? (epsn league)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish power trip? (epsn league)

Postby ThePrez » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:22 am

Greetings -

Wanted to post a question for my friend who is in a espn $ league. I've never played in a espn league, but looked at his settings and did some research and have come up with this.

The league is suppose to have 24 hours for deals to be accepted/vetoed... if not all teams vote then obviously in 24 hrs it will occur.

Seems like espn references the commish as "LM" (League Manager). I've noticed a lot of trades allowed and vetoed "by LM". It is really interesting when the commish has personal deals go through "by LM". There are other deals that doesn't say "by LM", so there is a difference. I counted 14 deals either passed or vetoed by LM and just 6 that have gone the regular course.

The commish (actually there are 2 guys listed as LM in the settings) has been called out on this before, but he stated that he didn't know his "vote" would overrule the possible trade. Is this true? From the LM point of view, is there the standard button to approve/veto a trade (just like the regular team owners) or is it an obvious "accept/veto trade now".

I've looked at random posts for people starting espn leagues and notice a standard rule setting for "Votes Required to Veto Trade = LM Only Vetos"

This league is "Votes Required to Veto Trade = 5". So it seems to be set up that half the league can make the decision... but 14 of 20 deals/vetoes still show "by LM" next to them.

This is a league where easily $500+ could be made, so it seems that these 2 LM's have the power to allow/not allow deals, that other teams are offering and accepting.

Just looking for any insight.
ThePrez
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish power trip? (epsn league)

Postby dupree » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:45 pm

The LM can "Vote" OR Immediately Approve/Veto the trade. The two links to do one or the other are CLEARLY marked.

The first trade this season I used the "Express" method to Approve a trade ahead of the 48 Hour "review" period (basically I was curious as to how it worked) and quickly realized that this was unfair approach unless I intended to "fast track" every trade. As this can be seen as biased or unfair (fast tracking trade A to get in ahead of the start of games but not trade B (since i was out of town, could be taken as Favoritism though) depending on how it affects an owner.

I have since sat back and let trades sit for approval for the allotted 48hours so all trades are treated equal. Next season we will move to a Commish veto only and 24hour waiting period.

The only fast tracking a Commish should do is vetoing a trade that is a clear case of collusion.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:37 pm

dupree wrote:The LM can "Vote" OR Immediately Approve/Veto the trade. The two links to do one or the other are CLEARLY marked.

The first trade this season I used the "Express" method to Approve a trade ahead of the 48 Hour "review" period (basically I was curious as to how it worked) and quickly realized that this was unfair approach unless I intended to "fast track" every trade. As this can be seen as biased or unfair (fast tracking trade A to get in ahead of the start of games but not trade B (since i was out of town, could be taken as Favoritism though) depending on how it affects an owner.

I have since sat back and let trades sit for approval for the allotted 48hours so all trades are treated equal. Next season we will move to a Commish veto only and 24hour waiting period.

The only fast tracking a Commish should do is vetoing a trade that is a clear case of collusion.

You may want to look up "collusion".
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dupree » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:38 pm

Why? I am well aware of the definition of collusion.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner