Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:36 am

LS2throwed wrote:
moochman wrote:
People think this was a desperation move by Jerruh because:
The Cowboys were struggling
Pacman was taking the shine of the star
Jerruh loves him some Roy
Romo's pinky was taking the shine off the star
Jerruh gave up way more than Roy was worth
Jerruh traded for a commodity he didn't need while ignoring a D that is struggling.

Again, Jerry tried trading for Roy during the draft, and prior, so I think that cancels out 1, 2, and 3, if he wanted Roy before all those happened, and if the deal happened on draft day nobody would even bring those up at all.

As far as the defense, Jerry put talent all over that D, is he supposed to keep trading for defensive players after we don't perform? How about blaming the terrible Defensive coordinator, or lame duck Wade who was supposed to do wonders with this 3-4 but has yet to do so yet...Jerry signed Zach Thomas which was probably our best signing, re-signed Jay Ratliff who is arguably our best defensive player this year period, we tendered Canty on the other end who is going to be rich next summer, brought back Hamlin, drafted 2 great rookie corners, took a gamble with Pacman, why should he feel the need to go get anyone else on that side of the ball? We suck on defense, no way around it, but lets not say he "ignored" the D because that is completely false.

Jerry giving up too much? Maybe, I'm sure you feel that way, but if your in the Cowboys position, they were probably going to sign a FA WR soon, or move up in the draft, one or the other.

Now if your late in the 1st, want to move up to late teens, automatically it cost you a 3rd rd pick to get anywhere close, so whats the difference here? You don't think Roy was worth a 1st and a 3rd when he has produced an 80 catch/1300 yd/8 TD type season in Detroit, I think we'll gamble a 3rd on him over the next hyped WR that doesn't pan out or help out immediately...Now we overpaid I don't get it, but we got a sure thing, in the middle of his prime, capable of keeping Romo with a #1 target for his career even if TO gets hurt and we don't have to rely on a rookie WR developing into what we want, as far as picks next year:

2nd rd
3rd rd via Cleveland
4th rd
4th rd via Detroit
5th rd
5th rd via Tennessee(Pacman suspension)
6th rd pick via Miami
7th rd pick
7th rd pick via Detroit

So sorry if I don't see that as giving up too much, I can guarantee we would be moving up to make a play on Crabtree or something similiar, when your trying to win a super bowl in the next few years you can take risk like trading up for guys you want, they essentially did the same thing in trading for Roy, somebody who wanted to come here, and got a cheaper contract then what we would of had to sign him to in FA if a bidding war got started...You can argue we don't need him this year, and I would say the same, it was a long term move and one in the short term that they hope improves the ball club just the same.

We disagree. I think if the Cowpies would have offered a 1 and 3 the Lions would have taken it on D Day. I think that the crap that your season has turned to (by your hopes and standards) impeled Jerruh to make this happen. And Roy is not worth the value given up. His numbers aren't reflective of his play. He doesn't block, he doesn't run routes well or often, drops way too many easy passes, he doesn't play physical enough to be a stud. His character could totally change at home in Texas, but that is a stretch methinks.

I do think the D was showing cracks before this trade and that those picks would have been better served shoring up the D.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk