Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:19 am

LS2throwed wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:Detroit got an absolute haul here and their fans have to be thrilled with this deal.

No doubt about it, Detroit fans should be elated, ....


The only reason we would be happy is because we got anything at all.

I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here, but the Lions draft 3 straight WRs....in the top 10 of each draft....FIRST ROUND

So, three straight, first round, top 10 drafted WRs and we have this to show for it:
late 1st round 2009 pick
3rd round 2009 pick

Oh wait you say, we got a 6th rounder too...but we gave up a 7th, I would say that cancels out

--------------
Charles Rogers - out of football (36 career rec; 4 TDs)
Mike Williams - out of football (44 career rec)
Roy Williams(and a 7th round pick) - (late 1st round pick / 3rd round pick / 6th round pick)

I guess we should be thrilled and elated !+) :-/
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15316
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby Manja » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 pm

moochman wrote:
cobra333 wrote:Roy Williams is a top 10 WR who played on a HORRIBLE team.Yes he could get lazy and mess up his routes but who wouldn't playing on a team like the LIONS? Watch how effective he becomes with Dallas.


Roy wasn't even the best WR on his team. He has never put up top 10 production and is currently the 50th rated WR on standard Yahoo scoring system. 54th on PPR. Sure, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect to see his production increase in Dallas. But top ten. That's just crazy talk dude.


The way I see it.. Randy Moss turned to rust while he was stuck in Oakland. I know Roy Williams is no Randy Moss, but being on a decent team for once might make him play harder.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1736
Joined: 6 Jul 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Saying Roy wasn't the most talented WR on his own team isn't really saying much...CJ is more talented then what, 95% of Wr's in the league now? He was a top 2 pick arguably the best player in the entire draft, Roy was a top 10 pick, CJ should be more talented.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:56 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Saying Roy wasn't the most talented WR on his own team isn't really saying much...CJ is more talented then what, 95% of Wr's in the league now? He was a top 2 pick arguably the best player in the entire draft, Roy was a top 10 pick, CJ should be more talented.


Both you and Manja are right, Roy was second fiddle to a top flight WR. And he will surely be in a better place. But in Detroit he was needed and looked to much more than he will be in Dallas. He still is the #2 WR, plus now he has great RB and TE play to take looks from him. I could see his numbers getting better, but I have a hard time seeing top 20 numbers. Hey, I am wrong all the time. For Roy's sale I hope I am here.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby DraftDodger » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:08 am

moochman wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Saying Roy wasn't the most talented WR on his own team isn't really saying much...CJ is more talented then what, 95% of Wr's in the league now? He was a top 2 pick arguably the best player in the entire draft, Roy was a top 10 pick, CJ should be more talented.


Both you and Manja are right, Roy was second fiddle to a top flight WR. And he will surely be in a better place. But in Detroit he was needed and looked to much more than he will be in Dallas. He still is the #2 WR, plus now he has great RB and TE play to take looks from him. I could see his numbers getting better, but I have a hard time seeing top 20 numbers. Hey, I am wrong all the time. For Roy's sale I hope I am here.


Defenders have to cover T.O., Witten, the backs, etc. Roy will have a field day in Dallas. He'll be covered about as often as a hooker's ... legs.

It's just a matter of time before he's producing big in Dallas.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 1400
Joined: 24 Aug 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Cafe

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:57 am

DraftDodger wrote:
moochman wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Saying Roy wasn't the most talented WR on his own team isn't really saying much...CJ is more talented then what, 95% of Wr's in the league now? He was a top 2 pick arguably the best player in the entire draft, Roy was a top 10 pick, CJ should be more talented.


Both you and Manja are right, Roy was second fiddle to a top flight WR. And he will surely be in a better place. But in Detroit he was needed and looked to much more than he will be in Dallas. He still is the #2 WR, plus now he has great RB and TE play to take looks from him. I could see his numbers getting better, but I have a hard time seeing top 20 numbers. Hey, I am wrong all the time. For Roy's sale I hope I am here.


Defenders have to cover T.O., Witten, the backs, etc. Roy will have a field day in Dallas. He'll be covered about as often as a hooker's ... legs.

It's just a matter of time before he's producing big in Dallas.


I guess it's all about perspective. I see TO (right now)> Franchise Calvin Johnson, Witten >>>>>>pick a TE, Barber >>>>>>Smith & Johnson. So while you think that means they will get covered and Roy will be open, I think they are better because they do get open so there are more options for Romo to throw too. His production should tick upward, I just don't by the hype. He has never been a tough minded WR and TO, Barber and Witten are the epitome of tough minded. What does it mean?????
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby Kilroy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:03 am

It means sell high. ;-D
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby Retet » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:21 am

I think Roy will certainly be more productive in Dallas than he was the last couple years in Detroit. I'm not saying he will be the second-coming of Randy Moss. But I think the Moss comparison is a good one for this simple reason: he's a good receiver going to a team with a much better QB. In almost all WR moves, when a good WR goes to a team with a worse QB, they do worse. When the go to a team with a better QB, they perform better.

Again, while I think the Randy Moss comparison is valid, I do not think that Roy Williams will post Moss-esque numbers this year. But Roy should perform better.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1498
Joined: 23 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: A Northern Town

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Alright, for argument's sake, let's assume that Patrick Crayton is an equal talent to Roy Williams. Through five games, Crayton posted 291 yards and 2 TDs. With 11 games left, that would correlate to 640 yards and 4 TDs for the rest of the season. Since, we can all agree, Williams is more talented than Crayton, 640 yards and 4 TDs should be the minimum we, as fantasy owners, expect from him this season. That means, on a worst-case-scenario, we should expect WR35 numbers from Roy Williams. I know Brad Johnson will get brought up as will the fact that they play the Giants and Ravens in week 15 and 16, but Roy Williams owners should be happy. I'm not encouraging a trade for him until you see what he'll do in Dallas with a healthy Romo, but going from the Lions to the Cowboys should definitely make those who drafted Roy happy.

In regards to those who say that this is a dumb short-term deal for the Cowboys, I can't disagree with you more. The trade, in every way possible, makes the Cowboys better for this season. They gave up no talent from their roster and added a (potential) top 10 for their offense. Long-term, I think there is more of a question mark, but if the Cowboys can sign him to a long-term deal (which I assume they will), this is a good deal for the Cowboys in both the short and long-term.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1527
Joined: 22 Mar 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roy Williams Traded (OFFICIAL)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:16 pm

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:.....but if the Cowboys can sign him to a long-term deal (which I assume they will), .....


They did:
kffl wrote:Updating a previous report, ESPNews reports the Dallas Cowboys have signed WR Roy Williams to a five-year, $45 million contract.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15316
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigdog1218 and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 19:29 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact