when do we grab torain - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

when do we grab torain

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:40 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:Just a heads up to everyone thinking that he is a lock to become the starter in Denver, he was not that good when he played for ASU. He was a great cutback runner so he would probably do alright in Denvers zone blocking scheme (who doesn't) but really had no long speed at all in college. If I am remembering right, he ran a 4.6 at the combine.

I'd have to disagree with that entire statement on two fronts.

First, I think he was a tremendous runner at ASU. He is easily one of the best rushers in that school's history. He has 14 career starts, 19 career games, and about 2100 total yards over his career there. His senior year was cut short because of the fractured and dislocated foot he sustained.

That brings me to the second point - he did run a 4.64 at the combine, but at the time was still rehabbing his foot injury and can be attributed to that. Three weeks later at pro-day, he ran consistently between 4.49 and 4.51.

He's actually quite quick, is very explosive, and hits the hole extremely hard. I love the kid.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Azrael » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:52 pm

Not worth the pickup IMO. He's obviously way behind in blocking protection schemes and Denver is quite content (and doing quite well) rotating Hall, Young, and Pittman.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mr.Joshua » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:53 pm

i just took him, 12 team, 16 man roster. Pretty competetive league with nothing much left out there. it was either him or a kicker upgrade....definitely worth a shot
Wilson
Forte,Morris,Ivory,B.Brown,M.Christine,B.Bolden
Cobb,VJax,DeSean,M.Floyd,L.Moore
V.Davis
Posluszny
M.Bryant
Colts
Mr.Joshua
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 210)

Postby shagworth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:51 pm

If you're in a 12-14+ team league you could grab him. If you're in a 10 team or less I don't think he's worth a pickup. He won't see game action till at least Week 9. And he'll have to be a straight up beast for Shannihan to say, "Here ya go Rook', you take all the snaps."
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:01 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
TheDiplomats wrote:Just a heads up to everyone thinking that he is a lock to become the starter in Denver, he was not that good when he played for ASU. He was a great cutback runner so he would probably do alright in Denvers zone blocking scheme (who doesn't) but really had no long speed at all in college. If I am remembering right, he ran a 4.6 at the combine.

I'd have to disagree with that entire statement on two fronts.

First, I think he was a tremendous runner at ASU. He is easily one of the best rushers in that school's history. He has 14 career starts, 19 career games, and about 2100 total yards over his career there. His senior year was cut short because of the fractured and dislocated foot he sustained.

That brings me to the second point - he did run a 4.64 at the combine, but at the time was still rehabbing his foot injury and can be attributed to that. Three weeks later at pro-day, he ran consistently between 4.49 and 4.51.

He's actually quite quick, is very explosive, and hits the hole extremely hard. I love the kid.

I'm glad you do, but he still has no long speed and is a rookie. What he did in college is irrelevant. There have been outstanding college RBs who failed miserably in the NFL and there have been backup college RBs who have excelled. Anyone expecting him to come in this year and salvage their season will be in for a rude awakening. I think he is a great dynasty prospect, but nothing more. That also is not mentioning the shift Denver is making in their offense in terms of both OLine personnel and play calling.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LeBron James » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:07 pm

spodog wrote:we have a generous IR squad in our main $ league, so I picked up Torrain the day after the draft in August and stashed him there. Hoping it will pay off.

That's exactly what I did too, but I had to drop Bobby Engram to get Torain. :~(
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Fade2White12 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:14 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:I'm glad you do, but he still has no long speed and is a rookie. What he did in college is irrelevant. There have been outstanding college RBs who failed miserably in the NFL and there have been backup college RBs who have excelled. Anyone expecting him to come in this year and salvage their season may be in for a rude awakening. I think he is a great dynasty prospect, but nothing more.

Your previous post seemed to indicate that you were saying that he is not a lock to be a starter because Torain "was not that good when he played for ASU." Yet now what he did in college is irrelevant? Interesting. Plus, you seemed to base "long speed" or 40 times. Food for thought - Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, and Rashard Mendenhall have almost identical 40 times.
Fade2White12
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:46 pm

My expectations are limited, i picked him up in leagues where I could either use the RB help, or leagues where I didn't want someone else to scoop him, now is a fine time because he is expected to play in week 9 at least somewhat...He may end up not worthy of anything so it would be nothing to drop him but it doesn't hurt to see what comes of it, but I do know I have no intentions on riding him out, a big game or 2 and I'm shopping him elsewhere.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Flyn high again » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:47 pm

IMHO, you have to be either a gambler or desperate to play a Denver RB. 20 points one week... 0 points the next.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Maris09 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:27 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:That also is not mentioning the shift Denver is making in their offense in terms of both OLine personnel and play calling.

I think the playcalling we've seen in the late Summer here, will be quite different than the playcalling we see come the Winter months (ie Fantasy Playoffs).

Not to mention they haven't looked "great" offensively these past few weeks (scoring 19 & 16), so maybe a better mix with the playcalling will help.
Last edited by Maris09 on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk