when do we grab torain - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

when do we grab torain

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:08 pm

Fade2White12 wrote:
TheDiplomats wrote:I'm glad you do, but he still has no long speed and is a rookie. What he did in college is irrelevant. There have been outstanding college RBs who failed miserably in the NFL and there have been backup college RBs who have excelled. Anyone expecting him to come in this year and salvage their season may be in for a rude awakening. I think he is a great dynasty prospect, but nothing more.


Your previous post seemed to indicate that you were saying that he is not a lock to be a starter because Torain "was not that good when he played for ASU." Yet now what he did in college is irrelevant? Interesting. Plus, you seemed to base "long speed" or 40 times. Food for thought - Felix Jones, Jonathan Stewart, and Rashard Mendenhall have almost identical 40 times.

I am basing his long speed on what I saw from him in college and he really has none. That is not likely to suddenly change when he gets into the NFL. I never said he is going to be bad, I was simply saying that you need to temper your expectations on the guy. People are acting like this guy is a sure bet to be the next big thing at RB. If he was that good, he would have gone much sooner in the draft irregardless of injury. That is also not mentioning he is going into an extremely unfavorable short term situation IMO. There is no way he gets any 3rd down/goal line work with Pittman in the picture and he would probably split time with Selvin Young for 1st and 2nd downs.

This is all speculative and until he proves anything at the NFL level, people need to quit acting like this guy is the second coming of Terrell Davis. Like I said before, if you have the room to stash him..then I see no reason why you should not..but he is much more of a dynasty prospect then anything else. Just my 2 cents.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1942
Joined: 5 May 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:15 pm

TheDiplomats wrote:I was simply saying that you need to temper your expectations on the guy. People are acting like this guy is a sure bet to be the next big thing at RB. If he was that good, he would have gone much sooner in the draft irregardless of injury.



Who proclaimed he is a sure bet to be the next big thing, I'd love to know who made that assumption, I think thats going overboard on your end, the most praise he has gotten is that he has the "potential" to be the feature back by years end in a very good offense...This all goes back to the guy is likely a FA, so you pick him up and see what he amounts to, its not worth anything to drop him after the fact, but I have yet to see somebody act like he's the next best thing, if a potential starter is available then he's worth a roster spot...Besides that there have been numerous reports that speculate the team will start to run the ball more when Torain returns, who knows if its true, but it is certainly worth the gamble.


And the "if he was that good he would of gone sooner", that really doesn't matter for a Denver RB, because you don't need to be drafted to be a good Rb in that scheme as many before him have proven, and guys like Hightower lasted until the 5th and has been one of the more impressive rookies thus far, draft stock is hardly indictive of how good a guy will be, it really doesn't mean much...Benson was a top 5 pick, Forte was a 2nd rounder and has look better then Benson could ever dream.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby shagworth » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:34 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
TheDiplomats wrote:I was simply saying that you need to temper your expectations on the guy. People are acting like this guy is a sure bet to be the next big thing at RB. If he was that good, he would have gone much sooner in the draft irregardless of injury.



Who proclaimed he is a sure bet to be the next big thing, I'd love to know who made that assumption, I think thats going overboard on your end, the most praise he has gotten is that he has the "potential" to be the feature back by years end in a very good offense...This all goes back to the guy is likely a FA, so you pick him up and see what he amounts to, its not worth anything to drop him after the fact, but I have yet to see somebody act like he's the next best thing, if a potential starter is available then he's worth a roster spot...Besides that there have been numerous reports that speculate the team will start to run the ball more when Torain returns, who knows if its true, but it is certainly worth the gamble.


And the "if he was that good he would of gone sooner", that really doesn't matter for a Denver RB, because you don't need to be drafted to be a good Rb in that scheme as many before him have proven, and guys like Hightower lasted until the 5th and has been one of the more impressive rookies thus far, draft stock is hardly indictive of how good a guy will be, it really doesn't mean much...Benson was a top 5 pick, Forte was a 2nd rounder and has look better then Benson could ever dream.


You should write one of those draft commercials for ESPN...
Image
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 434
Joined: 12 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At The Computer...Duh

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby 2ksports » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:22 am

until mike shanahan says he's a starter, i won't go near him

if mike shanahan says he's a starter, then I will... oh wait

[I hate] mike shanahan

Mod Edit: The F word is off limits on the forums. Please do not post it again.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 1276
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 19 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:50 am

Those of you who like taking him...

Would you drop Ladell Betts (my handcuff to Portis) to pick him up?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guerilla Warfare (3-1-1)
10 Team, H2H

QB - Romo, Schaub
RBs - Portis, Parker, Forte, Betts
WRs - S. Holmes, Cotchery, Bowe, R. Brown, Walter
TE - Witten
DST/K - PHI, TEN
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:40 am

joejlitz wrote:Those of you who like taking him...

Would you drop Ladell Betts (my handcuff to Portis) to pick him up?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guerilla Warfare (3-1-1)
10 Team, H2H

QB - Romo, Schaub
RBs - Portis, Parker, Forte, Betts
WRs - S. Holmes, Cotchery, Bowe, R. Brown, Walter
TE - Witten
DST/K - PHI, TEN



Yes, because you still have a solid 3 man rotation, and your in a 10 team league meaning if you drop Betts he won't get added immediately, and if Torain looks to be nothing then you can drop him again for Betts, Torain might bring some trade value though, and that's why I think he's worth holding onto for a few weeks to see, it's going to be snowing pretty soon in Denver and alot of beat writers expect to see more of a running game.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby chchelse » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:35 am

LS2throwed wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Those of you who like taking him...

Would you drop Ladell Betts (my handcuff to Portis) to pick him up?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guerilla Warfare (3-1-1)
10 Team, H2H

QB - Romo, Schaub
RBs - Portis, Parker, Forte, Betts
WRs - S. Holmes, Cotchery, Bowe, R. Brown, Walter
TE - Witten
DST/K - PHI, TEN



Yes, because you still have a solid 3 man rotation, and your in a 10 team league meaning if you drop Betts he won't get added immediately, and if Torain looks to be nothing then you can drop him again for Betts, Torain might bring some trade value though, and that's why I think he's worth holding onto for a few weeks to see, it's going to be snowing pretty soon in Denver and alot of beat writers expect to see more of a running game.



Exactly, I don't think that Torain will ever bust into my starting RB rotation of Barber, R Grant, CJ4.24, and Felix Jones, but if he has a couple of good games, he will have a lot of value to a team struggling to make the playoffs who is weak at RB. It's not always about, "am I going to start this guy" a lot of times it's about "does this guy have value and can I trade him or package him with another player to upgrade at one of my positions".
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator


Posts: 730
Joined: 16 May 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Bethel

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:49 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
joejlitz wrote:Those of you who like taking him...

Would you drop Ladell Betts (my handcuff to Portis) to pick him up?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guerilla Warfare (3-1-1)
10 Team, H2H

QB - Romo, Schaub
RBs - Portis, Parker, Forte, Betts
WRs - S. Holmes, Cotchery, Bowe, R. Brown, Walter
TE - Witten
DST/K - PHI, TEN



Yes, because you still have a solid 3 man rotation, and your in a 10 team league meaning if you drop Betts he won't get added immediately, and if Torain looks to be nothing then you can drop him again for Betts, Torain might bring some trade value though, and that's why I think he's worth holding onto for a few weeks to see, it's going to be snowing pretty soon in Denver and alot of beat writers expect to see more of a running game.

Thank you for some of the better analysis I have seen in the cafe in a little while.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: when do we grab torain

Postby itsyourboyl » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:28 pm

would you drop pittman for torain??
10 player PPR league
Start- 1 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 WR/TE, 1 DEF
QB- warner, o'sullivan, palmer
RB- gore, forte, mcclain, slaton, pittman
WR- santa moss, lee evans, calvin johnson, t.j. housh, moore, vincent jackson
TE- witten
K- prater
DEF- vikings
itsyourboyl
Water Boy
Water Boy


Posts: 84
Joined: 11 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:31 hours
(and 39 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact