Incomplete Line-ups - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Incomplete Line-ups

Moderator: Football Moderators

Incomplete Line-ups

Postby GhostRider913 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:28 pm

Fellow Fantasy Football brethren...
Some team owners in our league would like our Commissioner to address the question about incomplete rosters which he refuses to do so as evidenced by his lack of statement on either our message board or email. Maybe it’s just that I am a rookie to FF and my commentary is not “heard”.

At least a couple of owners feel that if your weekly lineups consist of 9 total positions, 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1Flex, 1DST and 1PK, then, all owners need to submit a complete lineup. Incomplete lineups are unacceptable. I see it as lack of sportsmanship if an owner has several players on BYE, or IR, or whatever, and in order not to lose certain players thru the add / drop process, would rather throw away that game, take a loss if it be, by fielding a team with 3 or 4 open positions.

Furthermore, I feel Commissioners should address any and all issues brought forth by owners within 1 week. An oCommissioner could wait 3 or 4 or more weeks and then address issues based on circumstances at that moment. He still has not addressed a playoff issue and by addressing it weeks into the season it might affect certain owners in a different manner than if addressed early in the season. Doesn’t all this fall under the commissioner’s responsibilities and should it not be taken seriously and professionally?

Gentlemen,
thanks for your time
GhostRider913
GhostRider913
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Incomplete Line-ups

Postby grover99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:12 pm

That is the commish's duties. However, if it is a free league, there isn't much anybody can do. All of my money leagues have a fine, you can't start anybody on a bye or listed as out. If you do, then you start losing money.
12 Team 1/2 PPR Dynasty Auction League.
QB: Cutler, Hill
RB: Turner,Slaton,Benson,Mendenhall,Harrison,Robinson, Greene
WR: CJ2, Fitz, Smith(NYG), Brunce, Morgan,Bryant
TE: Carlson
grover99
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterTrivia Time Trial ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:35 pm

GhostRider913 wrote:Fellow Fantasy Football brethren...
Some team owners in our league would like our Commissioner to address the question about incomplete rosters which he refuses to do so as evidenced by his lack of statement on either our message board or email. Maybe it’s just that I am a rookie to FF and my commentary is not “heard”.

At least a couple of owners feel that if your weekly lineups consist of 9 total positions, 1QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1Flex, 1DST and 1PK, then, all owners need to submit a complete lineup. Incomplete lineups are unacceptable. I see it as lack of sportsmanship if an owner has several players on BYE, or IR, or whatever, and in order not to lose certain players thru the add / drop process, would rather throw away that game, take a loss if it be, by fielding a team with 3 or 4 open positions.

Furthermore, I feel Commissioners should address any and all issues brought forth by owners within 1 week. An oCommissioner could wait 3 or 4 or more weeks and then address issues based on circumstances at that moment. He still has not addressed a playoff issue and by addressing it weeks into the season it might affect certain owners in a different manner than if addressed early in the season. Doesn’t all this fall under the commissioner’s responsibilities and should it not be taken seriously and professionally?

Gentlemen,
thanks for your time
GhostRider913

Well, if a team is doing it once to prevent losing players to waivers then I wouldnt see a problem with it. I've used the "punt a bye week" strategy before by having 5-6 top players all with the same bye. It doesnt work, but Ive tried it.

Now, for IR starters or people not paying attention, thats a problem. BUT, unless your rules prohibit it then there is nothing a commish can do. He can't just take over someones team unless there are already rules in place allowing it. How would you like it if he took over the team you are playing and chose to start DeAngelo Williams over an injured McGahee last week and cost you the win while starting LJ against someone else?

Sadly, if you have teams who have already quit on the season your best option is to find new owners and leagues next year.

/Personally, in my leagues we NEVER see injured/bye week players started, because we are all so competitive that we check the rosters for other teams and if we see something we will email that player so they know about it. No one ever wants to win cheap.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:19 pm

This needs to be addressed in your league rules.

Some leagues require a full starting lineup every week, with an active player at every position.
Some leagues leave the option open that an owner can choose to leave a position vacant, for whatever reason.

Leagues with shallow benches put their owners in a position where they may opt to leave a spot open to avoid cutting players on BYE weeks.

Some leagues have scoring rules with negative scoring possible, and an owner may opt to leave that position open to avoid the possibility of incurring negative points.

Not something that should be addressed 6 weeks into the NFL season.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:46 pm

FWIW Yahoo! doesn't require people to have full rosters. You would have to make the rule yourself.

You don't have to start a player at every roster position, but fantasy points and statistics will only be accumulated by those players on your starting roster.
http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/football/rules/frules-14.html

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:40 pm

i dont have a problem with someone playing a player on a BYE or Injured if it's shallow rosters and they dont want to make a move that would cause them to lose a valuable backup

I DO have a problem with someone staring an injured/bye player out of sheer laziness

it's a fine line and tough to police...it really needs to be looked at on a case by case basis.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner