Return to Detroit Lions

Daunte to the Lions?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Daunte to the Lions?

Postby Daddymike59 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:49 am

This is interesting....
DAUNTE HEADING TO DETROIT?
Posted by Mike Florio on October 10, 2008, 10:10 a.m. EDT

A media source in Motown tells us that there’s a “very unsubstantiated” rumor that retired quarterback Daunte Culpepper could be joining the Detroit Lions, as soon as today.

It’s just a rumor, but since this is a rumor mill we decided, “What the hell?”

We’ve sent an e-mail to Culpepper in order to determine whether it’s true. We’ve yet to hear back from him. (If we were “real” journalists, we would have deprived you of this potentially useless and inaccurate information until we received a response from him. Fortunately, we’re not “real” journalists.)

We corresponded with Daunte on several occasions in August and September, and he provided us with an open letter to the NFL stating his case for another chance with a new team. When that didn’t create an opportunity for him, Culpepper opted to retire.

Lions starting quarterback Jon Kitna has a back injury, and he is expected to miss Sunday’s game against the Vikings.

Even if there’s any truth to this rumor (and we have at this point no idea whether there is), how would signing with the Lions today make any difference come Sunday? It would seem to make more sense to go with Dan Orlovsky and Drew Stanton this week, and then bring Culpepper in on Monday.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/ ... o-detroit/

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Daunte to the Lions?

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:59 am

Grasping at straws, methinks. Though Daunte did play in Florida, it wasn't Tampa Bay. He would need too much time to learn the nuances of the complex Lions O scheme. (has anyone seen the sarcasm icon?)

Morons should just throw Stanton to the wolves. They are dumbing down the O anyway, so just put in Kid Injury and let him go.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:35 am

moochman wrote:Morons should just throw Stanton to the wolves. They are dumbing down the O anyway, so just put in Kid Injury and let him go.

Maybe that is what they are planning to do and when he gets hurt in the 2nd quarter, we have a QB to come in and save the day ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:59 am

moochman wrote:Grasping at straws, methinks. Though Daunte did play in Florida, it wasn't Tampa Bay. He would need too much time to learn the nuances of the complex Lions O scheme. (has anyone seen the sarcasm icon?)

Morons should just throw Stanton to the wolves. They are dumbing down the O anyway, so just put in Kid Injury and let him go.

i saw a quote in the paper today by Knuclehead Furrey that they feel comfortable with Danny (Orlovsky) because he's had a lot of time under this scheme...ummm...moron, he's had a new O-Scheme every year he's been here...just because he's been a career backup for 4 years doesnt mean he's an expert in the Lions ever changing scheme
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AngryLionsFAn » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:03 pm

At one point I would've said go for it and get Culpepper, but he's not going to make a difference anyway. Besides, if Oakland is any indication of what he's capable of on a crappy team with no no hope, then no thanks. We need to play Stanton and see what happens. Cut this "maybe we can turn this season around" optimism crap. IT'S OVER. DOA They should hope to God they win one or 2 games and consider that to be lucky. Colletto is so lost with trying to "simplify" Martz's Offense he seems like he's trying to take College Physics and he's a freshman in High School.
AngryLionsFAn
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
moochman wrote:Grasping at straws, methinks. Though Daunte did play in Florida, it wasn't Tampa Bay. He would need too much time to learn the nuances of the complex Lions O scheme. (has anyone seen the sarcasm icon?)

i saw a quote in the paper today by Knuclehead Furrey that they feel comfortable with Danny (Orlovsky) because he's had a lot of time under this scheme...ummm...moron, he's had a new O-Scheme every year he's been here...just because he's been a career backup for 4 years doesnt mean he's an expert in the Lions ever changing scheme

Furrey is such a suck-up. Always talking about how good something is. I wish they would make him play D again.

The Lions should sign Culpepper if he is dumb enough to be interested. He wants a chance to start, and you aren't going to find a better place than here. But he might also like some help instead of a moronic head coach, proven failure and unproven OC pairing and piss for an O-line.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:07 am

I wouldn't want to see Daunte come here. Just due to the fact I would feel bad for the guy. He has the ability to sign with a team and try again in the next couple of years. But, if he came to Detroit with an O-line as horrible as ours then he would probably suffer a career ending injury. And there's no worse place to do that than here. Think about it Daunte, it's not worth it. :-/
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Detroit Lions