Rule change to I.R. in-season in first year keeper league - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Rule change to I.R. in-season in first year keeper league

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rule change to I.R. in-season in first year keeper league

Postby DTownDave22 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:20 pm

Now, this is the second time I've had a problem with the commish making a rule change that seem to be to his benefit, but most importantly, without conferring with the rest of the league.

Here is a message he posted a while back, explaining the I.R. rule that would be in place for the season. It's to prevent losing a prospective keeper player to injury by dropping him and keeping the leage more competetive (since it's also a smaller league).

'Another thing i just wanted to remind everyone about was the keeper situtation. The rule is you can keep 2 players without any penalties. A 3rd keeper will cost you the first round pick in next years draft. You can only keep 2 players at a position (flex doesnt count).

Also, since it is a keeper I am going to give each team one IR spot. This spot can be used on only one player. Since its not a setting on here, just tell me and i will take care of it. Basically how it will work is say Steven Jackson goes out with an injury and hes done for the year. I would place him on IR (post it on the message board). Now he would be unavailible for everyone (including myself) for the rest of the year. He would then come off your roster to clear up the spot. Then at the end of the year you can have him back to consider as one of your keepers. The IR spot is for ONE PLAYER ONLY, and once you use it you cant switch players. So say i have Romo on IR and Jackson goes down, i cannot switch them. I would either have to suck it up and keep Romo on my roster all year if I wanted to keep him, or release him.'

I made a comment about something he did that went against this rule, on our league message board, once it hit me after looking at his team what he had done. He had Bobby Engram on the I.R. I noticed that earlier--no problem. But then Engram was off I.R. and now eligible to play, on his regular roster. As if that wasn't bad, Burress was on I.R. just last week, and now he's back on his regular roster.

My problem is this: don't call it IR and say the league will use it as one way and then turn around and use it a different way for yourself. How would any of us know we'd be able to do this anyways? Only he has capability as commish to put players on I.R., as he stated in the message above. That's the part that gets me with this guy. He not only changes rules, but does so without telling us.

Here are his responses--can anyone comprehend this?

"well that's how I thought re I'd spot works. Aparently it doesn't work that way and can be used on players who are out.

I setup the rules on how I thought it worked basically to inform people onhow I thought it worked. My bad if you guys want it to work that way from here on out so be it. But I know other people have used it as well. So basically the rule is if a guy is availible to be put on it go ahead. Were gonna go with the fleaflicker rules on this one. That's it.

Andyou can say that you arenttrying to make a big deal. But I've noticed that you take every little opportunity to call me andonly me out. And I would apreciate if that stopped."

Yeah..I'd appreciate if HE stopped making rule changes to benefit HIMSELF. I'm in first place in this league, but I've just about had it with this guy. I don't know who he is referring to when he says "other people". He's the only person in ths league that has used the IR this way. He must be referring to other leagues. Horrible commissioner. Fantasy football isn't THAT important to me, but I enjoy it--but I don't want to waste my time with a league like this. Lastly, the only reason I'm calling him and only him out is because he's the only one doing anything wrong, and if he wasn't, I wouldn't have anything to worry about. What a concept! ;-D
DTownDave22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rule change to I.R. in-season in first year keeper league

Postby Motown Blues » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:30 pm

This guy can't string a coherent sentence together. Whatever. It's clearly bogus and he shouldn't be a commissioner, as he is abusing his position. i would let it go, win the league and find a different one for next year. I always love when these kind of guys are called out and their defense is to claim that the complainant is "whining" and "making a big deal." Screw off, stop being a cheat.
Motown Blues
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DTownDave22 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:42 pm

Motown Blues wrote:This guy can't string a coherent sentence together. Whatever. It's clearly bogus and he shouldn't be a commissioner, as he is abusing his position. i would let it go, win the league and find a different one for next year. I always love when these kind of guys are called out and their defense is to claim that the complainant is "whining" and "making a big deal." Screw off, stop being a cheat.

I'm willing to let it go, but I think the first player he put on I.R., should be put back on it. It just irks me a bit that no one else says anything, so that's why I came on here. It's hard for me to really say how big of an impact this had on the league-he of course is blowing it off like you said, but I'd really have to sit down and look at it. Rosters change somewhat in this league and he's had some instability on his roster with injuries and underpeformances, so say looking back at some results of games and seeing who was on his team and how those moves made a difference, what players he added after putting those two aforementioned in Burress and Engram on his team, impacted results.

To me, what the bigger issue here is, is a matter of simple principles; simple principles of mutual trust and respect, and he doesn't seem to understand this or even care (and neither are good signs).

Oh, and he is on this forum. He'll probably come on here and post. I welcome him to--maybe he'll have to answer to more than just me.
DTownDave22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby joejlitz » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:19 am

1st year league, maybe 1st time commish - there's bound to be some issues. This one is not as bad as some of the others, though.

Interesting that he said this in the rules, though:
"Now he would be unavailible for everyone (including myself) for the rest of the year."

Why he would say "including myself" is beyond me and suggests a little bit of a power trip. But that is just speculation.

I say encourage him to put Engram back on the IR. If he doesn't chalk it up to the bumps of a first year league. If he truly is abusing his power, then get rally the rest of the league to confront him about it. One man crusades against the commish won't work. If he feels the pressure from 3 or more owners, he will likely change or quit.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DTownDave22 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 pm

joejlitz wrote:1st year league, maybe 1st time commish - there's bound to be some issues. This one is not as bad as some of the others, though.

Interesting that he said this in the rules, though:
"Now he would be unavailible for everyone (including myself) for the rest of the year."

Why he would say "including myself" is beyond me and suggests a little bit of a power trip. But that is just speculation.

I say encourage him to put Engram back on the IR. If he doesn't chalk it up to the bumps of a first year league. If he truly is abusing his power, then get rally the rest of the league to confront him about it. One man crusades against the commish won't work. If he feels the pressure from 3 or more owners, he will likely change or quit.

Yeah, why wouldn't the player be unavailable for everyone, including him?

He doesn't plan on putting Engram back on I.R. He's not that type of commissioner. And I'm sure there are worse commissioners. There are more important things to worry about in life though. He said the rule for I.R.'s, the one he failed to originally tell us about, will stick for the rest of the season--really not necessary, because it's a small league, only eight teams.
DTownDave22
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Commissioner's Corner