Gonzo gone? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gonzo gone?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gonzo gone?

Postby SLAMLLC » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:44 pm

Word on the streets is Tony Gonzo could be traded by Tuesday. Anyone know or hear anything about it? Rumor is the Giants might be interested.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Gonzo gone?

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:51 pm

yahoo.com wrote:Chiefs’ Tony Gonzalez on trade block

By DOUG TUCKER, AP Sports Writer 2 hours, 24 minutes ago

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—Tony Gonzalez, the most productive tight end in NFL history, will be traded to a contender if the Kansas City Chiefs get the right price.

Three people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity that the nine-time Pro Bowl player could be dealt before the Tuesday trade deadline. The three didn’t want to be identified because a deal hasn’t been struck.

Gonzalez, who holds the NFL tight end record for receptions, touchdown catches and yards receiving, is active in civic and charitable affairs and enjoys great popularity in Kansas City. He has always said he would like to end his career with the Chiefs, who drafted him in the first round out of California in 1997.

But the Chiefs (1-4) are rebuilding from the bottom up and not likely to contend for the Super Bowl any time soon. In spite of all his personal accomplishments, Gonzalez, 32, has never even won a postseason game.

He would like an opportunity to play in a Super Bowl and the rebuilding Chiefs would like to acquire extra draft picks.

Two people involved in the situation said there had been discussion with the New York Giants, but that talks had not been productive.

The Giants traded tight end Jeremy Shockey to New Orleans last summer for Nos. 2 and 5 drafts pick in 2009. Shockey’s replacement, Kevin Boss, has been a disappointment even though the defending Super Bowl champs are undefeated.

Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson is a notoriously tough negotiator and would probably demand at least a second-round pick for the man many Chiefs fans believe is the greatest offensive player in team history.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby pfwygalways » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:13 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/836918.html

Says giants, green bay and buffalo interested. I've also reade the Eagles. Quite frankly, I'd like him to end up anywhere other than K.C. as a Gonzo owner.
12 team/6pts TD/1pt 25yds pass/1pt 10yd r/r
08-09 Champ: Defending my title
QB Cutler
WR R. White, Welker, S. Holmes, D. Hester
RB M. Turner, S. Slaton, D. Brown, L Betts, L Maroney
M. Bush
TE Shockey
K Gotskowski
Def: Dal. (platoon likely)
pfwygalways
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby krazyjoe8 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:31 am

i hope he comes to philly thatd be a nice big boost over lj smith

HOLLA IF YA NEED A SIG.
Go Eagles. Go Sixers. Go Phillies.
krazyjoe8
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby SLAMLLC » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:09 am

Does his value drop or rise this season if he gets traded soon? He would have to learn a new system and the season would be half over.

For a seasonal owner, should one look to sell on him right now, to someone who would hope for a better situation for him? Or would you reccommend to hold him expecting his production to increase if he gets traded, even having to learn a new system mid year?

I am torn on what to do or what this story line does to his value.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:31 pm

SLAMLLC wrote:Does his value drop or rise this season if he gets traded soon? He would have to learn a new system and the season would be half over.

For a seasonal owner, should one look to sell on him right now, to someone who would hope for a better situation for him? Or would you reccommend to hold him expecting his production to increase if he gets traded, even having to learn a new system mid year?

I am torn on what to do or what this story line does to his value.

They are trading him to a contender. The contender wants him for a reason. I expect numbers.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Flyn high again » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:32 pm

Gonzo's owner amazingly put him on the waiver wire today. My waiver bid will be in soon. I'm #7 but three of the guys ahead of me have Gates, Witten and Cooley and probably won't go for him. His ex owner also can't take him back before he clears waivers so that' 4 out of 6 who won't/can't try for him. Maybe I'll drop Fasano just to confuse things more and give the other two owners who have waiver priority another option.

Gonzo with McNabb, Rodgers or Ely throwing to him could be a scoring machine by playoff time.
Go Bears!
Flyn high again
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Football Talk