Tommy Bowden Fired - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Tommy Bowden Fired

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tommy Bowden Fired

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:49 am

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028

I think this is a bad move by Clemson. Before Bowden got to Clemson, they'd been to 11 bowl games. He has led them to 8 in his 10 years there. I'm sorry, but this is Clemson we're talking about, not Nebraska or Michigan. He hasn't won conference titles but the guy has probably been the best coach in Clemson football history and you fire him?

Seems like nobody is just willing to accept the fact that they're not the best team in the nation nowadays. Every team in America can't win the National Title every year...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tommy Bowden Fired

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:01 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028

I think this is a bad move by Clemson. Before Bowden got to Clemson, they'd been to 11 bowl games. He has led them to 8 in his 10 years there. I'm sorry, but this is Clemson we're talking about, not Nebraska or Michigan. He hasn't won conference titles but the guy has probably been the best coach in Clemson football history and you fire him?

Seems like nobody is just willing to accept the fact that they're not the best team in the nation nowadays. Every team in America can't win the National Title every year...

I talked with a couple Clemson fans on Saturday and asked them if they wanted Bowden fired and they all said no. They want the OC fired. They gave me a bunch of reasons why it is his fault and not Tommy's that they lost the Maryland game and the Wake game.

He will get a job somewhere else and build that program up. I think the reason they fired him was because they were over hyped by the media to start the season and they all really thought they had a NC contender because of where they were initially ranked. I think if there were no preseason polls and the fans and boosters didn't see them fall from top 10 to where they are now, he would still be the coach.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 pm

There is nothing like a coaching change to open up new avenues in recruiting. Hours after Clemson canned Tommy Bowden on Monday, four-star safety Devonte Holloman backed out of his pledge and told Rivals.com he'd like to hear more from Florida among other schools. Five-star safety Craig Loston has also reneged on his commitment.

May effect the recruiting
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Kiffen and Muschamp top candidates to replace Bowden. They could be real dangerous if Kiffen gets the job

Clemson's firing of Tommy Bowden is the first of what figures to be several coaching dismissals. But don't expect many more to happen during the season.

Now, the onus is on Clemson athletic director Terry Don Phillips to find a coach who can get Clemson over the hump. The program still hasn't won the ACC since 1991.

For now, Clemson assistant Dabo Swinney, who turns 39 in November, will serve as interim coach. If he excels, there's a chance he could assume full-time duties. But there may be too much pressure on Phillips to go outside to hire a coach.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... CID=862634
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby VaderFin » Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:32 am

Technically he resigned. :-b

It's kinda surprising they did this in the middle of the year. I'm guessing they think they will get the best chance at someone like Kiffin by getting a head start like FL did.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:15 am

deerayfan072 wrote:I think the reason they fired him was because they were over hyped by the media to start the season and they all really thought they had a NC contender because of where they were initially ranked. I think if there were no preseason polls and the fans and boosters didn't see them fall from top 10 to where they are now, he would still be the coach.

Bingo. There is nothing so damaging as unrealized expectations, whether those expectations were realistic in the first place or not. Jobs, marriages, relationships and friendships all end because of this as well.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 pm

knapplc wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:I think the reason they fired him was because they were over hyped by the media to start the season and they all really thought they had a NC contender because of where they were initially ranked. I think if there were no preseason polls and the fans and boosters didn't see them fall from top 10 to where they are now, he would still be the coach.

Bingo. There is nothing so damaging as unrealized expectations, whether those expectations were realistic in the first place or not. Jobs, marriages, relationships and friendships all end because of this as well.

Yeh, when we get married, the women hope us guys will change but we never do - and us guys hope the women will stay the same but they never do!
;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Return to College Football