Megatron's Value Sans Roy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Megatron's Value Sans Roy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Megatron's Value Sans Roy

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:46 pm

I'm split on this issue. On the one hand, he is by far the best weapon on that offense, for a team that will likely be throwing the ball a lot in an effort to come from behind. But he is also dealing with a green QB in Orlovsky with the Stanton era possibly approaching. I don't trust either of those guys to resemble a competent QB for the rest of the year which makes Calvin's outlook a little murky.

So what are you guys doing. Selling? Buying? Holding? I am honestly torn on him when it comes to redrafts or small keeper leagues.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Megatron's Value Sans Roy

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:09 pm

Holding where I have him, not trying to buy if I don't. I see his situation being like Bowe's where he will put up stats due to sheer number of targets.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:22 pm

I'll buy on him if somebody in my league will sell, no doubt about it...Megatron managed to produce with the God-awful Reggie Ball at QB for all those years, somehow I feel like he can still dominate with whoever back there as long as they give him a chance to run with the ball...He's a little different then Moss for me, as Moss really needs a QB to get the ball deep and high and let him make a play, thats his game, with Calvin you can throw him a few screens and hitches and let him make the rest happen(ie the Green Bay game)...His stats will take a hit without Kitna, but I think he will still put up WR2 numbers.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby FatFoot » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:43 pm

IMO, by 4PM EST yesterday, it was too late to move Megatron. It may be a couple of weeks before it's too late to pick up Roy, depending on how Brad does... but he had a good preseason.

I am dealing with the reduced expectations... I traded (ironically) a package that sent Roy away and brought me Calvin. We were both laughing about Kitna going down, and how that was brutal for both of our teams... then Roy goes to Dallas, where Romo will be money for the playoffs, and Calvin is the main target and will be covered as such in Detroit... with a scrub QB. Looks like I got the short end of the stick.

Megatron will either play like a singular force of nature, or he'll be 50yds and an occasional TD from here on out. Next season, if the Lions can get a QB worth playing... Megatron should be back in action.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:10 pm

Orlovsky, though inexperienced is no worse than kitna so i wouldn't take any value from him just because of that. The big thing is that Calvin will see a lot more double teams than before, but I still think more balls will be thrown his way, particularly in the red zone. I would expect his value goes up a bit because of the trade. Another something to look out for if you are in a deeper league is Mike Furrey. Before Calvin was in Detroit Furrey put up great numbers as a possesion guy (something like 98 catches, don't feel like looking it up), so that might make for a valuable fantasy option.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby 2ksports » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:52 pm

Dwayne Bowe = Calvin Johnson now, cept most probably took Megatron 3 rounds earlier.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:14 pm

So you think Furrey > Mcdonald even with the return yardage?
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby 2ksports » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:24 pm

RWLongy4 wrote:Orlovsky, though inexperienced is no worse than kitna so i wouldn't take any value from him just because of that. The big thing is that Calvin will see a lot more double teams than before, but I still think more balls will be thrown his way, particularly in the red zone. I would expect his value goes up a bit because of the trade. Another something to look out for if you are in a deeper league is Mike Furrey. Before Calvin was in Detroit Furrey put up great numbers as a possesion guy (something like 98 catches, don't feel like looking it up), so that might make for a valuable fantasy option.

Kitna is not that good, but those 2 don't even belong in the same sentence. The Lions are like the Chiefs without a stud running back or any resemblance of a running game. In addition, Detroit has a horrendous defense that almost gaurantees them no chance of controlling TOP. Kitna going down means shorter drives and less possessions for the offense, and less stats all around. McDonald and Furrey are not worth anything other than a fill-in play for a bye week in a 12-teamer. I am fairly convinced that Calvin Johnson's value goes down with the fall of Kitna and Williams. The only type of league he can possibly gain value is a PPR.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Azrael » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:30 pm

We'll see what chucking the football to him brings I suppose.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:27 pm

I think his value goes down a bit. More doubles.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Football Talk