Illegal Lineups in Salary Cap League.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Illegal Lineups in Salary Cap League....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Illegal Lineups in Salary Cap League....

Postby THEOT » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:16 am

I'm commish of a first year Dynasty league, its a Salary Cap league too. We use Blind Bid Waivers, 12 teams, 11 starting positions with 6 bench positions and 2 taxi squad spots that don't count against the cap. We have a system where if you cut a player with a salary over a certain amount you incur a 25% cap penalty.

Because of byes this past week, we had the owner of our worst team, who is now 1-5, not start a Defense or Kicker. This drew attention from our squeaky wheel who is a hard core guy but had a good point too. He thinks its BS to not require all starting positions to have an active player in them every week and if you don't have them full you get 0 points for the week. We also allow negative points so this could be used as a way to circumvent the chance of taking negative points too. I guess the big issue is, from a competition standpoint, nobody wants the gimme win.

So, thinking on monday this was a valid point, I changed it so that you have to have active players in all 11 spots to have a legal lineup and get points. They system will not let you submit now unless you do this. The more I think about it, the more I think this was a bad idea now and I was a bit hasty in doing it. I'm now thinking to support this properly we need extra Taxi squad spots and maybe a bigger bench to because its going to force some to drop guys with bigger salaries that incur a cap hit. This has forced me to trade away 2 guys I didn't really want to trade, but I had 4 of my 5 WR's on bye. I'm not dissapointed with my trades, but now I also still need to drop my 2nd defense which will incur a pretty healthy cap hit to pick up another guy to be able to fill the roster requirement for the week.

Is this a valid thing to have? Should I have changed it now? If now, now that I did should I change it back or is that an even worse idea? Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
THEOT
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Illegal Lineups in Salary Cap League....

Postby ABA316 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:08 pm

I did this in a keeper league to address the benching issue on Mondays..

If you have only one player at a position (say, DEF) you can elect to leave them in on a bye and incur a zero at that spot. If you have two DEF and one is not active that week but the other is, you MUST play the active one.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ttwarrior1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:17 pm

i have turner for 3 bucks in a cap league and im keeping him in this week, let the guy do what he wants, or make sure he is active
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:08 pm

If you are going to limit, via a cap, the money people can spend on players then you CANT have a rule forcing full rosters.

Say someone spent all their money already, and has Romo and McNabb. Are you really going to force them to cut a player and trade for a QB?

Cant change that rule midseason.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby THEOT » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:54 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:If you are going to limit, via a cap, the money people can spend on players then you CANT have a rule forcing full rosters.

Say someone spent all their money already, and has Romo and McNabb. Are you really going to force them to cut a player and trade for a QB?

Cant change that rule midseason.

There's a cap, no spending limit, just a cap. The problem is I already changed it and now waivers have gone through and I don't wanna flip flop on it. So yeah, I was probably wrong to change it but I guess I don't feel like I can undo it.
THEOT
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner