Watcha watching on the boob tube? (talk about tv shows) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Watcha watching on the boob tube? (talk about tv shows)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Watcha watching on the boob tube?

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:Top Chef is teh awesome ;-D

Do you like burritos :-b

I have a culinary boner! :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:21 pm

treat24 wrote:scott: my dvrs hold somewhere between 80-100 hours of HD it seems. I've never gotten over 70% and have had upwards of 50 shows. I almost always record in HD. I can not begin to comprehend how much regular tv that is. I think you need to ask your cable company for a new DVR. My old one from a few years ago barely held 20 shows like yours does now. DVRs have gotten much better and bigger in the last couple years.

This box is only a couple months old. They die so frequently they have to replace them twice a year or so (which sucks because that means I lose everything recorded on it). Comcast always tells me it's their current tech, but that makes me think their tech is out of date. Which doesn't surprise me much.

I believe that an hour of HD is roughly 4x the space of low def.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:27 pm

knapplc wrote:You people clearly have no children. You wouldn't have nearly enough time to watch that much TV if you did, and even if somehow you did, your DVR would be full of kid's shows.

I have a child. He's furry and whines a lot. Oh and he LOVES K9 Cops on Animal Planet... It follows the St.Paul Elite K9 team supposedly ranked the #1 K9 unit in the country.

ImageImageImageImageImage
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:29 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
treat24 wrote:scott: my dvrs hold somewhere between 80-100 hours of HD it seems. I've never gotten over 70% and have had upwards of 50 shows. I almost always record in HD. I can not begin to comprehend how much regular tv that is. I think you need to ask your cable company for a new DVR. My old one from a few years ago barely held 20 shows like yours does now. DVRs have gotten much better and bigger in the last couple years.

This box is only a couple months old. They die so frequently they have to replace them twice a year or so (which sucks because that means I lose everything recorded on it). Comcast always tells me it's their current tech, but that makes me think their tech is out of date. Which doesn't surprise me much.

I believe that an hour of HD is roughly 4x the space of low def.

I have comcast as well, so they are BSing you on the tech if that's all you are able to store. Or maybe they just don't have the bigger hard drives at their office near you... or maybe I got lucky... but the 4x is probably right.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 pm

stormchasers premier is sunday night on discovery channel ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:56 pm

treat24 wrote:stormchasers premier is sunday night on discovery channel ;-D
20's

That's a cool show. I hope I never see anything like what they air on the show in real life. Apparently, some chasers allow ride-alongs. People actually pay money to be put in harm's way. I think I'm just too old to agree with that kind of thrill seeking. I'd of probably jumped at the chance in my 20's. Nor would you ever get me on one of those hurricane planes!! :-{
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guru13 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:11 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
treat24 wrote:stormchasers premier is sunday night on discovery channel ;-D
20's

That's a cool show. I hope I never see anything like what they air on the show in real life. Apparently, some chasers allow ride-alongs. People actually pay money to be put in harm's way. I think I'm just too old to agree with that kind of thrill seeking. I'd of probably jumped at the chance in my 20's. Nor would you ever get me on one of those hurricane planes!! :-{

that vehicle they built is definitely awesome. Ya not sure about those hurricane planes, the sight is crazy neat but ya...scary.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Re: Watcha watching on the boob tube? (talk about tv shows)

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:57 pm

I put college football on one and the rest on the others ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Plenty of shows I watch have been talked about here, so I'll name two I started watching this year that are kind of interesting. Both are cop shows, each with their own twist on the main character.

Life (NBC)
Cop who was framed for murder, sentenced to life in jail, released on new evidence after like 12 years or something, sues LA and wins big $$$, gets his job back as a detective, hunts for the real killers on his free time. I didn't watch the first season, but that was basically the summary you'd get from wikipedia or tv.com. Main character is played by Damian Lewis, who most people will probably recognize from Band of Brothers. His quirk is that he took up Buddhism while in jail and basically kind of acts weird. Oh, and his partner is kind of hot too. Not as procedural as shows like CSI, but goes with the House recipe of interesting main character.

The Mentalist (CBS)
Guy was one of those TV psychics making lots of money through gimmicks, irks a serial killer who kills his wife and child, drastic life change afterwards and now helps the California Bureau of Investigation as a consultant. Yea yea, I know, wtf is the CBI? :-b
Anyways, this show kind of follows the House blueprint but deviates by making the main character like-able instead of a jerk. He uses his background as a TV psychic to help investigate, playing mind games and reading people, and usually ends up solving the case on his own.

I also watch Friday Night Lights when I can. Good show, its a shame nobody watches it. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby m16a » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:07 pm

I'm looking forward to the new season of 24 and the kick off "Redemption"

I've also been avidly(word?) watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Of course the NFL, and recently, the NLCS.

I have no cable, DVR, HD, large tv, or anything fancy, just a 17in tube that gets 10 channels and a VHS recorder, so I just record stuff and its up to me to remember!

Fun stuff ;-D
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk