Watcha watching on the boob tube? (talk about tv shows) - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Watcha watching on the boob tube? (talk about tv shows)

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Watcha watching on the boob tube? (talk about tv shows)

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:02 pm

m16a wrote:avidly(word?)

Yes, and used beautifully! ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Just watched Time Warp (WED, Discovery Channel) for the first time. Worth the watch. It's a good show, but the science they were pushing was a bit off. The premise of the show is that everything is better in SUPER slo-mo. Good stuff. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:50 pm

FSN sport science is pretty awesome for a combo of slomo stuff and sports :)

you can youtube stuff of theirs
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Watcha watching on the boob tube?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:04 am

scottaa1 wrote:
treat24 wrote:scott: my dvrs hold somewhere between 80-100 hours of HD it seems. I've never gotten over 70% and have had upwards of 50 shows. I almost always record in HD. I can not begin to comprehend how much regular tv that is. I think you need to ask your cable company for a new DVR. My old one from a few years ago barely held 20 shows like yours does now. DVRs have gotten much better and bigger in the last couple years.

This box is only a couple months old. They die so frequently they have to replace them twice a year or so (which sucks because that means I lose everything recorded on it). Comcast always tells me it's their current tech, but that makes me think their tech is out of date. Which doesn't surprise me much.

I believe that an hour of HD is roughly 4x the space of low def.

i have teh Comcast too. mine started acting up so i replaced it, but luckily i had emptied it out. it lasted about 3 years

we actually have 2 now because there was a conflict with Prison Break, Heroes and my wifes Dancing With The Stars, but our second TV is non-HD (but hopefully getting replaced at X-mas), but i record most stuff in HD...i think and hour of HD is roughly 6-7% of my DVR space

also, quite a few shows i watch are also On Demand (HBO shows, Mad Men, CSI) so if needed i can delete those

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:Top Chef is teh awesome ;-D

Do you like burritos :-b

I have a culinary boner! :-B

season 5 needs to start stat...i need my fix of Gail Simmons jubblies :-L i've actually only seen Season's 2 and 4 though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:43 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:season 5 needs to start stat...i need my fix of Gail Simmons jubblies :-L i've actually only seen Season's 2 and 4 though

She is packing some heat, Padma is really hot too but her voice and the way she talks annoys the hell out of me.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:15 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:season 5 needs to start stat...i need my fix of Gail Simmons jubblies :-L i've actually only seen Season's 2 and 4 though

She is packing some heat, Padma is really hot too but her voice and the way she talks annoys the hell out of me.

and that big scar on her arm is nasty

my other favorite line from last season was when Female Richard (i forget her name but she had the same haircut as Richard) kept saying "I'm doing this for Zoi"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Munboy » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:53 am

Pretty much...no time for TV...

Well, ok...very little time.

Since we gave up the DVR after last season (had to pay for the DVR as well as subscribe to the digital package = too much $$$$$)...I haven't missed a lot of the shows we watched. Especially the 'reality' shows. I've found that since I haven't been watching Survivor or Amazing Race I haven't missed it. But I know if I were to go back and start watching them online, I'd get sucked in again.

As far as what I watch...Not much.

Heros is the can't miss. Thank goodness NBC has them online! Otherwise, I would miss. I work on Monday nights and usually have the TV at work tuned to MNF.

Other than that...Numb3rs I really like, but CBS or ABC (Don't remember which) doesn't have it online, so I've been missing it this season. The Unit is good, I really like it, and CBS has it online. I like Chuck too and NBC has it online. Then there's House, but haven't watched it yet because everytime I go to Fox's website, its not working.

And that's about it. I'm not really into sitcoms because they very rarely make me laugh (yes, that includes the Office).

As far as shows I've checked out this season...

My Own Worst Enemy (available on hulu.com) - Pretty good. I'm interested how they structure the show now that they set the premise in the first episode
Eleventh Hour - Blah. Bad acting, HORRIBLE dialog
Worst Week - Watched about 15 minutes, got bored with the overused slapstick comedy, didn't laugh once. Stopped watching.

Other than that, if there's any spare time in my life, the channel's on NFL Network, ESPN, Food Network, Kids channels, or flipping through the Discovery channels (Discover, History, History I, Travel, etc). Mythbusters, Smash Lab, Dog Fights... ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby knapplc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:12 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Metroid wrote:She is packing some heat, Padma is really hot too but her voice and the way she talks annoys the hell out of me.

and that big scar on her arm is nasty

You two officially live in bizarro-land if you have anything bad to say about Padme Lakshmi. She's only like the most gorgeous woman on Earth. Scar, voice - who cares? She's crazy smokin' hot!

You guys have the highest standards ever.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:22 am

knapplc wrote:You guys have the highest standards ever.

What? Think about who you're talkin bout. :-b Dan may have some high standards but I really...have none. :-B

I never said she wasn't hot or that I'd kick her out of bed I just find her voice and the way she speaks really annoying. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:24 am

knapplc wrote:You people clearly have no children. You wouldn't have nearly enough time to watch that much TV if you did, and even if somehow you did, your DVR would be full of kid's shows.

Yep. He figured it out and wants to record everything and never has enough time to watch stuff, so I've told him to keep it to one show to record and one only. Currently he's got How It's Made recording. Good show. I really don't watch shows, per say. Later at night, before bed, I'll click around and catch this or that, but it's usually the Discovery Channels, Nat Geo, or History Channels. My wife watches a couple cooking shows and that one show I can't think of right now (weird show about biochemical weapons and a mad scientist or something). I'll watch old SNL or MadTV reruns if I see them, but really don't watch a whole lot of TV other than sports that interest me. I didn't grow up with a TV so it's difficult for me to understand how someone can sit in front of one for hours on end.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk