Mid-season dead team, solution? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Mid-season dead team, solution?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mid-season dead team, solution?

Postby Angry_Amish » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:40 pm

Hey,

Question for you guys, what to do when you have a dead team mid-season? This is actually happening in two leagues I participate in, not the one I am the commish of. One league the guy is too busy or whatever to update his team and in the other the manager passed away.

It seems unfair to the first teams these now "dead teams" played, since they won and were active ...now players are injured and on bye and the dead teams are easy wins. I have read a few solutions, but would like to hear your opinions on what should be done, if anything at all. It seems the commissioners of these leagues just do not care and are hands-off.

TIA
Angry_Amish
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Mid-season dead team, solution?

Postby bungle613 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:29 pm

If it is at a point where only 1 or 2 teams have had an advantage because of the incomplete rosters then a commish should step in and manage the team for the rest of the season.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:06 pm

bungle613 wrote:If it is at a point where only 1 or 2 teams have had an advantage because of the incomplete rosters then a commish should step in and manage the team for the rest of the season.

Can't do that. Can't put that pressure on the commish. What happens when he picks the wrong guys against one team and the right ones against another?

If its a case of a deceased owner, just let the team go for this season. odds are no one benefits more then anyone else.

For the busy owner, warn him to get his team in order. If not, you can either freeze his roster as is or find a replacement owner. The problem with replacing him is that those teams that have already played a short roster have an advantage over those who will play him in the future.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shagworth » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:25 pm

Yeah, the only way that I would set the dead teams schedules is if the teams that they have already played unanomously vote that it is ok.

Dealing with this in my league now...We already decided from now on we are going to start playing for serious money so that noone will want to just quit playing.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby bungle613 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:27 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
bungle613 wrote:If it is at a point where only 1 or 2 teams have had an advantage because of the incomplete rosters then a commish should step in and manage the team for the rest of the season.

Can't do that. Can't put that pressure on the commish. What happens when he picks the wrong guys against one team and the right ones against another?

If its a case of a deceased owner, just let the team go for this season. odds are no one benefits more then anyone else.

For the busy owner, warn him to get his team in order. If not, you can either freeze his roster as is or find a replacement owner. The problem with replacing him is that those teams that have already played a short roster have an advantage over those who will play him in the future.

I'll have to disagree bobble. I wouldn't ask the commish to do research or start a sleeper over a regular starter but the commish can filed a full line up based on rankings. Generally leaving a dead roster does benefit certain teams more. Several teams have already played him and either won or lost. If he was 3-3 then 3 teams get screwed. If it is a divisional league then some teams could play a dead team 2 more times. HUGE advantage.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dupree » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:35 pm

Yes I would ask the commish to set starters based on published rankings preferably rankings provided by the host site or some other constant.

As always getting buy in from the other league members is paramount to making the final decision
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:53 pm

We have had this problem before, it got really dicey once the commish started trying to pick up players for the dead teams bye week which was overboard, I'm the commish now and when we encountered this problem like most said above we set his roster with his studs, or early draft picks, if he had a bye those players stayed in, if his QB went on IR so be it, he stayed as a starter too...That's why we keep track of guys and know eachother so this doesn't happen, because like you said it's not really fair if he beat some teams earlier but whoever plays him late has basically a bye week...I wouldn't make adds/drops, but I would keep his team competitive with his early draft picks.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby iwonmyleague.com » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:29 pm

depending on the software or sit eyou use to manage your league you may be able to make that team jsut a league average of all the other teams that play. That may be the best route to go if it can be done and you can't find someone to replace that team.
iwonmyleague.com
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby MMeFFLBoss » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:25 am

I have encountered both situations before in the league I'm running also in other leagues. For the deceased owner, I would have to agree with dupree's idea of using published rankings to submit a valid line-up. The rankings should possibly be from a well reconized publication, for example USA Sports Weekly, or ESPN. If the situation comes up where a position , QB/RB/WR/TE/Defense,needs to be changed then the commissioner should pick up the first available player according to the rankings.
In the sitation of the absent owner who is too busy, a "3-strike" rule should be voted on or enforced the following season. If an owner allows a line-up, with a player on a bye week or having an injured player, for their game, then it should count against them. After the third strike, or third time this happens, the commish should step in and control the now vacant team, using the published rankings. But the important element is, that the league accepts this rule, and that the commissioner is trustworthy of doing such a task.
MMeFFLBoss
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:04 pm

dupree wrote:Yes I would ask the commish to set starters based on published rankings preferably rankings provided by the host site or some other constant.

As always getting buy in from the other league members is paramount to making the final decision

i like this idea
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner