help! I need to make a commisioners decision - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

help! I need to make a commisioners decision

Moderator: Football Moderators

help! I need to make a commisioners decision

Postby rodney57104 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Please give me some input. Our league requires all players to maintain 2QB's, 4RB's, 5WR's, 2TE's, 2K's, 2Def's. This week two players in our league have illegal roster limits. One dropped an injured WR and picked up a fifth RB and the other dropped a TE for a RB. The night of the draft we discussed the limits and that it was in place to leave some talent in the free agency for the time when injuries hit your team. This week both players started there new RB's and did well with them. On top of that they are in 1st and 3rd place in our leagues and the other members are asking how to address this. On the night of the draft we discussed the rules, and I believe there was no mischief involved but both teams did have health and bye week issues that left a skeleton crew to pick a starting lineup from. The one thing that was not discussed was what happens if someone does have an illegal roster. The most confusing thing now is, this was not discovered until half time of the 1st games today.
Some are suggesting voiding the transaction leaving a hole in the starting lineup. Others are suggesting voiding the transacion and flipping a coin to determine who to put in hole. Please advise Thanks, Rodney
rodney57104
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: help! I need to make a commisioners decision

Postby bungle613 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:03 pm

1) Did the switching of players actually win games for them? If not, let it go.

2) If the change did win the game for them then you have some issues. Problem at hand is that no punishment is in place for a roster infraction. 2nd problem is that it wasn't caught. It's a hard thing to say to someone in a casual league... "remember that rule we put in place 6 weeks ago, well, you broke it and we are taking away your win"

Chances are fairly good that you lose 2 owners at the end of the season over it. I would talk to the 2 owners, find out what they think is fair. It would have to be something along like the 2nd suggestion you mentioned, the flip a coin for a replacement. If they are opposed to it, then it needs to go to a league vote. As a commish, I would not be comfortable in making the decision on my own.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby iwonmyleague.com » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:02 pm

I would say that rules such as these need to have software that enforces your rules so you can't even get into a mess like this. Who do you run your league through? May I suggest synsport.com It is an awesome program and keeps great league history but should only be used by those that are truly "hardcore" commissioners....check it out, I think you will like it. I use them for 3 leagues, everything is customizable....everything.
iwonmyleague.com
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby DTMan » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah, any site you'd be using for your league will allow you to set roster requirements, though I personally prefer no requirements dictating how you allocate your roster spots.

If this rule was stated with any certainty and clarity at your draft, then folks should have known to follow it. I'm assuming that these owners knew they were in violation of a rule you'd set when they made their adds/drops. If that's the case, I'd give them zeroes for the positions at which they were starting guys who weren't legally on the rosters. I don't think that whether these players' scores decided the outcomes of games is relevant. I think it's an important enough question that you have to address it, if only to set down a precedent for the future.

If you think/know that there's much of any chance that the owners in question weren't aware that there were rules governing how roster spots are allocated, then I wouldn't change anything and would take the blame for not clearly stating this rule.

Hope that helps, good luck,
Dan
DTMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby ABA316 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:41 am

If you don't already, you need a written constitution. That should be given to all at or before the draft. Should an issue ever arise then it's right there in writing.

Re the limits, I know ESPN will allow you to set that and block any moves that would go over the max. Last year a player tried to add a 7th RB (limit 6) and it would not let him.

For what has happened..hmm..if there is no punishment stated previously then shame on the commish and it has to stand as it is. However both owners need to get back under the limit ASAP or else.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 pm

If you have no punishment set up and you don't even notice at first when someone breaks a rule, I think you need to just let it go. If you want you can make it more specific now so that in the future the rule is enforced, but for this week, the people who broke it should not be punished.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 pm

since it was discussed at the draft i would reverse the transactions and give them 0's at those spots
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner