Ref Tackled a SC Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Ref Tackled a SC Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ref Tackled a SC Player

Postby Metroid » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:06 pm

man I watched it a few more times and it really looks like he was trying to tackle him, the way the ref like sidesteps with him...it was like he was zoning in. The he raises his forearm and lowers his shoulder....awesome. :-b

And you make a good point Sandrock. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:50 pm

Everyone hits hard in the SEC. Even the refs.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moonhead » Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:28 am

Sandrock wrote:Seems to me that the SC quarterback needs to be hitting the weight room a bit more if he's getting taken out by a 60+ year old referee.

/tony kornheiser
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:58 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:I've seen lots of things in college football. This ranks right up there with the most bizarre of them. From both angles I've seen it looks like the Ref is delivering the blow with his forearm. Maybe there's something I'm missing here. It's a rough world right there where that Ref works. There's an argument to be made that this Ref did not know where Garcia was going, and he could have been making just about any move to get out of the way, but that forearm he delivers is really, really weird. If he's trying to get out of the way, why is that forearm coming away from his body?

Anyone find an article on this? I'm not finding any with a Google search...

They talked about it on College Football Live today. The head of SEC officiating said that he the ref was in the appropriate spot on the field and made a defense move to protect himself, which was consistent with what he should have done.

That is hillarious! He was shuffling along with him, obviously in the same direction the QB was running, and then he lowers his shoulder and takes him down! There is NO WAY I buy that line from the SEC... :-S :*) !+)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:51 pm

If that ref had ever played defensive lineman, he could have used a simple spin move to avoid contact with the runner.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby jayday » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:59 pm

They ended up scoring on that drive anyway so it didn't impact the outcome of the game but that was a seriously questionable move. They may need to evaluate him a little more to see if he bet on the game or is losing his marbles.
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:37 pm

I think it was just a natural reaction. I saw it then, and i've seen it 15 times since then. He was just trying to protect himself.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:37 pm

jayday wrote:They ended up scoring on that drive anyway so it didn't impact the outcome of the game but that was a seriously questionable move. They may need to evaluate him a little more to see if he bet on the game or is losing his marbles.

That's what I've been thinking. The guys on the Dark Side are discussing this, and one of them says the Ref used to play linebacker. He should have been able to get out of the way if he did. And there's just no rational explanation as to why the Ref's arm leaves his body and makes contact with Garcia. That is beyond explanation to me.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:39 pm

Daddymike59 wrote:I think it was just a natural reaction. I saw it then, and i've seen it 15 times since then. He was just trying to protect himself.

If he's trying to protect himself, why does his arm not go toward his body? The Ref should be trying to make himself small in that situation, not reaching out, which he clearly does. Even if he's trying to ward the player off, that's an awfully strange way of doing it.

I'm not saying it's a certainty that this guy was trying to knock the QB down, or even hit him. It's just that it's awfully strange to me, all of it.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby jayday » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:19 pm

knapplc wrote:
jayday wrote:They ended up scoring on that drive anyway so it didn't impact the outcome of the game but that was a seriously questionable move. They may need to evaluate him a little more to see if he bet on the game or is losing his marbles.

That's what I've been thinking. The guys on the Dark Side are discussing this, and one of them says the Ref used to play linebacker. He should have been able to get out of the way if he did. And there's just no rational explanation as to why the Ref's arm leaves his body and makes contact with Garcia. That is beyond explanation to me.

Yea, I'm with you. The forearm shiver the ref gives just looks so intentional.

Yea, the ref played at Kentucky. South Carolina beat Kentucky 24-17 the week before. [/conspiracytheory]
jayday
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

PreviousNext

Return to College Football