Ref Tackled a SC Player - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Ref Tackled a SC Player

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ref Tackled a SC Player

Postby stomperrob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:25 pm

For some reason this brought back memories of Woody Hayes decking that opposing player running down the sideline - now that was a classic (couldn't find it on YouTube)!
:-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 am

I was seven years old when Woody threw his punch. Remember it pretty clearly, though.

And this kind of reminded me of Woody too, Stomper. What a weird, classic moment that was. :-S

Linky
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:18 am

knapplc wrote:I was seven years old when Woody threw his punch. Remember it pretty clearly, though.

And this kind of reminded me of Woody too, Stomper. What a weird, classic moment that was. :-S

Linky

Thanks for the link, that was a gem! :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby knapplc » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:16 pm

Looks like this is all over. Everyone says it was an accident, and since it didn't impact the game all's forgiven and forgotten.

Just another football oddity. "Hey, remember when that ref tackled the quarterback in that one game...?"
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:04 am

knapplc wrote:If he's trying to protect himself, why does his arm not go toward his body? The Ref should be trying to make himself small in that situation, not reaching out, which he clearly does. Even if he's trying to ward the player off, that's an awfully strange way of doing it.

I'm not saying it's a certainty that this guy was trying to knock the QB down, or even hit him. It's just that it's awfully strange to me, all of it.

Not everyone has the same reaction to protecting themselves. Some people do shy away from the attack/surprise. Some people attack back when surprised/attacked, and I think this guy's history as a linebacker clearly predisposes him to being the type of person who would counter-attack.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:31 am

mikus wrote:
knapplc wrote:If he's trying to protect himself, why does his arm not go toward his body? The Ref should be trying to make himself small in that situation, not reaching out, which he clearly does. Even if he's trying to ward the player off, that's an awfully strange way of doing it.

I'm not saying it's a certainty that this guy was trying to knock the QB down, or even hit him. It's just that it's awfully strange to me, all of it.

Not everyone has the same reaction to protecting themselves. Some people do shy away from the attack/surprise. Some people attack back when surprised/attacked, and I think this guy's history as a linebacker clearly predisposes him to being the type of person who would counter-attack.

His history as a LB is irrelevant. The fact is that he's a Ref now, and if he wants to continue to be a Ref, he needs to not initiate contact between himself and a player. His former player days are not an excuse for what he did. The only reason this isn't a big deal now is that his actions didn't affect the outcome of the game.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:53 pm

My point was not that he was a former linebacker and that excuses him from what he did. My point was that not everyone shys away when surprised, some people attack back. My brother is like that, I remember sneaking up on him one time as a kid and scaring him, and instead of yelling or running away he swung at me.
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:01 pm

mikus wrote:My point was not that he was a former linebacker and that excuses him from what he did. My point was that not everyone shys away when surprised, some people attack back. My brother is like that, I remember sneaking up on him one time as a kid and scaring him, and instead of yelling or running away he swung at me.

OK, so your point is as relevant as the kind of syrup he likes on his flapjacks? Is that what you're saying? :-?

Because whether he was a linebacker or not, his job TODAY is to get out of that kid's way, and not throw an elbow into him when he runs by. His previous roles in life are irrelevant to that fact.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikus » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 pm

I prefer pancakes to flapjacks. My point was to start a fight! Hahaha. ;-D
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:14 pm

mikus wrote:I prefer pancakes to flapjacks. My point was to start a fight! Hahaha. ;-D

Pistols at dawn then? :-b
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football