Thoughts on the Jets... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New York Jets

Thoughts on the Jets...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on the Jets...

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:14 pm

I hate to over react based on one game but here are some of my thoughts following the horrible performance in Oakland:

1. No receivers - Coles, Cotchery, Stuckey and Smith = marginal at best
2. Can Baker not fall down? That was ridiculous
3. Play calling was quite puzzling (Mangini and Brian Schott are overrated!)
4. They need one yr to draft playmakers, with Brett under center
5. No pressure on the QB whatsoever
6. Vernon Gholston is a Ghost!!! (I wanted him in the draft but he has done nothing so far!)
7. Eric Smith and Abram Elam both suck
8. O-line has not done a great job of protecting Favre either.

Now this week they will look great because they play the Chiefs. It's still early but playoffs teams win those games in Oakland. They need to blow teams away early and not let them think they can play with them like Arizona.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on the Jets...

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 pm

killiansjmd wrote:I hate to over react based on one game but here are some of my thoughts following the horrible performance in Oakland:

1. No receivers - Coles, Cotchery, Stuckey and Smith = marginal at best
2. Can Baker not fall down? That was ridiculous
3. Play calling was quite puzzling (Mangini and Brian Schott are overrated!)
4. They need one yr to draft playmakers, with Brett under center
5. No pressure on the QB whatsoever
6. Vernon Gholston is a Ghost!!! (I wanted him in the draft but he has done nothing so far!)
7. Eric Smith and Abram Elam both suck
8. O-line has not done a great job of protecting Favre either.

Now this week they will look great because they play the Chiefs. It's still early but playoffs teams win those games in Oakland. They need to blow teams away early and not let them think they can play with them like Arizona.

1. I agree. I was extremely high on Cotchery coming into the year, thinking he was going to be like Jennings when Favre was on Green Bay.
2. Why is Baker even in there? Keller anyone?
3. We finally have a QB who can air it out and yet we're still playing as if we have Chad back there.
4. I agree 100%. I thought Cotchery was going to be that playmaker this year, but guess not.
5. This is the one thing that I thought we would have addressed. We NEED to pressure the QB or any QB will pick us apart.
6. Where is this guy? I thought he was going to be the one guy we needed to get pressure on the QB. I really had high hopes for this guy, but right now, I don't know about him.
7. Awful.
8. Favre is getting no time at all, but I have to give some credit to the O-Line. Jones has had a few good games the past couple of weeks.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:21 pm

We got REAL lucky today!

I still don't get the playcalling on offense.
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:34 pm

killiansjmd wrote:We got REAL lucky today!

Agreed. I am still not sure what Brian is doing up there. The Chiefs have the worst rushing defense in the NFL, but yet, we decide to have Favre throw the ball non-stop. The one drive when we ran the ball, we got it into the end zone. There has to be something done with this play calling or we're in for trouble down the road.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:35 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
killiansjmd wrote:We got REAL lucky today!

Agreed. I am still not sure what Brian is doing up there. The Chiefs have the worst rushing defense in the NFL, but yet, we decide to have Favre throw the ball non-stop. The one drive when we ran the ball, we got it into the end zone. There has to be something done with this play calling or we're in for trouble down the road.

I've been scratching my head about the play calling almost all season. I don't get it. We finally have a QB that can throw the deep ball and we barely ever do it?!? I think Coles and Cotchery are both very good WR's and they're not using them at all. Couldn't agree more about Keller too. All offseason we heard how he isn't a great blocker but he can stretch the field like a WR. DO IT!! And you know who would benefit most from throwing it deep more often? Thomas Jones! He's not having an awful year but I thought that getting Favre...and being able to throw it deep more often was really going to help T.Jones. Hell. I think Chad has been throwing deep more in Miami than Favre has. The playcalling and Gholston being a non-factor are the biggest head scratchers for me so far. And how did we lose to Oakland? :*) :-S :,-( !+)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:49 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:Agreed. I am still not sure what Brian is doing up there. The Chiefs have the worst rushing defense in the NFL, but yet, we decide to have Favre throw the ball non-stop. The one drive when we ran the ball, we got it into the end zone. There has to be something done with this play calling or we're in for trouble down the road.

I've been scratching my head about the play calling almost all season. I don't get it. We finally have a QB that can throw the deep ball and we barely ever do it?!? I think Coles and Cotchery are both very good WR's and they're not using them at all. Couldn't agree more about Keller too. All offseason we heard how he isn't a great blocker but he can stretch the field like a WR. DO IT!! And you know who would benefit most from throwing it deep more often? Thomas Jones! He's not having an awful year but I thought that getting Favre...and being able to throw it deep more often was really going to help T.Jones. Hell. I think Chad has been throwing deep more in Miami than Favre has. The playcalling and Gholston being a non-factor are the biggest head scratchers for me so far. And how did we lose to Oakland? :*) :-S :,-( !+)

Today was a great game. The defense played STELLAR. Jones was just a freak today: 138 yards and 3 TDs?!? ;-D Favre played very well too, no mistakes at all.
If we play like we did today, I really don't think any team in the AFC has a shot to beat us. We were just prefect today. Let's just hope it keeps on getting better!!
One thing is, where was this against Oakland?!?
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:31 am

Well we'll find out what kind of team we have the next two weeks with road games against the Patriots and Titans. I think we need to at least split these two games. We need both the D-line and O-line to continue to play great ball. These games are both going to be very physical.
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:55 pm

killiansjmd wrote:Well we'll find out what kind of team we have the next two weeks with road games against the Patriots and Titans. I think we need to at least split these two games. We need both the D-line and O-line to continue to play great ball. These games are both going to be very physical.

Agreed. I know I sound optimistic and this might be a little extreme, but I kind of think we can win 6 of our next 7 if we split 1 of the 2 against New England and Tennessee.
Our schedule isn't really that difficult coming up over the next 5 weeks after the two against New England and Tennessee
Home vs Denver
At San Fran (On my birthday ;-D)
Home against Buffalo
At Seattle
Home against Miami

I really think we can win all 5 of those games. I think if we lose the two against the Patsies and Titans, we must win all 5 to get in the playoffs this year. I don't see 10-6 making it. And boy would I love to win the division this year and get a home game ;-D
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Great road win last night. Unfortunately I had to work and was only able to catch bit and pieces of the game.

I hope the Titans are still undefeated when we meet them next weekend!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:39 pm

killiansjmd wrote:Great road win last night. Unfortunately I had to work and was only able to catch bit and pieces of the game.

I hope the Titans are still undefeated when we meet them next weekend!

At first, I was really hoping that the Titans were undefeated next week when we play them, but after thinking about it, if the Jags beat the Titans this week, and we beat the Titans next week, we'd be 1 game back from first in the Conference WITH the tie breaker over the Titans.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to New York Jets