Return to College Football

Week 9 Games Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 9 Games Talk

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:24 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:
They were the favorite going into the game.

because TT struggled at TAMU last week.

Okay, but my point was that I'm not buying an argument saying it's not a big win when it's technically an upset.

At this point a win over Kansas is no better than a win over Kentucky. At least Kentucky hung close to one of the top teams they played (3-point loss to Bama), the best Kansas can say is that they hung close to a USF team that will now probably be unranked.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:41 am

bah Arizona couldn't get it done, SC hung on 17-10. Don't see another another loss on their schedule, hope if they run the table some teams in front of them go down and they end up in the National Championship. Oregon still has a shot at the Rose Bowl....we gotta run the table too though of course. That Arizona game at home and at Oregon St. are gonna be tough to close the season. :-?

Crazy thing is The Beavers are the only team that control their own destiny...they win out their Pac-10 champs. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:36 am

Free Bagel wrote:
VaderFin wrote:When was the last time LSU gave up 52 points...wow.

Well, they gave up 51 last week...

But that's not 52. ;-7 :-)
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:40 am

Free Bagel wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:because TT struggled at TAMU last week.

Okay, but my point was that I'm not buying an argument saying it's not a big win when it's technically an upset.

At this point a win over Kansas is no better than a win over Kentucky. At least Kentucky hung close to one of the top teams they played (3-point loss to Bama), the best Kansas can say is that they hung close to a USF team that will now probably be unranked.

Man, you guys really won't give Texas Tech a break, will you? They are undefeated in the Big 12, yet all season people use the argument that they have no big wins, and then they absolutely destroy a ranked opponent and all of a sudden that doesn't qualify as a big win. Now they're probably going to lose next week to Texas and you can come back at that point and say how I was wrong when really, Texas is just a slightly better team.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:49 am

Free Bagel wrote:

Man, you guys really won't give Texas Tech a break, will you? They are undefeated in the Big 12, yet all season people use the argument that they have no big wins, and then they absolutely destroy a ranked opponent and all of a sudden that doesn't qualify as a big win. Now they're probably going to lose next week to Texas and you can come back at that point and say how I was wrong when really, Texas is just a slightly better team.

Well it's the truth, they have no big wins and Kansas isn't a "big" win either. Kansas was ranked so that will help their cause a little but that wasn't a big win...it wouldn't surprise me if Kansas losses 3 if not all 4 of their last 4 games and I can say the same for Tech. It's not so much a knock against Tech I think they are a pretty good team but they fact is they haven't played anyone and crowning them some sort of powerhouse is just silly. And to say Texas is only slightly better than Tech is even more silly...Texas beat #1 Oklahoma, #11 Mizzou, and #6 Okie State. All in a row I might add and aside from that Okie State game they've won all their games in very convincing fashion. Who's Tech beat? A 5-3 Nebraska team...barely and now #22 Kansas? :-?

Texas Tech's opponents combined record is 30-34. Notable wins: Nebraska, #22Kansas

Texas opponents combined record is 38-25. Notable wins: #1 Oklahoma, #11 Mizzou, #6 Okie State

Texas is more that slightly better than Tech. ;-)
Metroid

Postby VaderFin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:57 am

Free Bagel wrote:
VaderFin wrote:When was the last time LSU gave up 52 points...wow.

Well, they gave up 51 last week...

Oh yeah, shows how much I've been paying attention.....when was the last time they gave up over 50 2 weeks in a row!! And I hope it wasn't earlier this year. :-B
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 am

Metroid wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:At this point a win over Kansas is no better than a win over Kentucky. At least Kentucky hung close to one of the top teams they played (3-point loss to Bama), the best Kansas can say is that they hung close to a USF team that will now probably be unranked.

Well it's the truth, they have no big wins and Kansas isn't a "big" win either. Kansas was ranked so that will help their cause a little but that wasn't a big win...it wouldn't surprise me if Kansas losses 3 if not all 4 of their last 4 games and I can say the same for Tech. It's not so much a knock against Tech I think they are a pretty good team but they fact is they haven't played anyone and crowning them some sort of powerhouse is just silly. And to say Texas is only slightly better than Tech is even more silly...Texas beat #1 Oklahoma, #11 Mizzou, and #6 Okie State. All in a row I might add and aside from that Okie State game they've won all their games in very convincing fashion. Who's Tech beat? A 5-3 Nebraska team...barely and now #22 Kansas? :-?

Texas Tech's opponents combined record is 30-34. Notable wins: Nebraska, #22Kansas

Texas opponents combined record is 38-25. Notable wins: #1 Oklahoma, #11 Mizzou, #6 Okie State

Can you please point out to me in my post where I said that Tech is better than Texas? All I said is that at some point, they need to get some credit for what they've done. You can act like being undefeated in a major conference isn't a huge deal, but as USC showed us against Oregon St., it's hard to get yourself up every week and win games. With all the parity that we have seen this year, conference games for a team in the Big 12 are no longer walkovers, no matter who you are.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:02 am

Metroid wrote:

Can you please point out to me in my post where I said that Tech is better than Texas? All I said is that at some point, they need to get some credit for what they've done. You can act like being undefeated in a major conference isn't a huge deal, but as USC showed us against Oregon St., it's hard to get yourself up every week and win games. With all the parity that we have seen this year, conference games for a team in the Big 12 are no longer walkovers, no matter who you are.

I never said you said Tech is better, you said...
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Texas is just a slightly better team.

And I said...
Metroid wrote:Texas is more that slightly better than Tech.

See the thing is I think Tech is getting the exact amount of credit they deserve, they have a #8 ranking and that will probably go up after beating Kansas. What more do you want? They are undefeated to this point, good for them. I don't act like being undefeated in a major conference is a big deal. It is hard to remain unbeaten and win 8 straight even if you haven't played anyone. Tech is a decent team I've said that before but I am not going to mention them in the same breath as Texas, Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, etc. From their body of work and what they've shown on the field they are just not on that level. We'll see what this team is really made of over the next few weeks.

Really the only reason they are undefeated to this point is that they haven't reached the meat of their schedule yet. Put these next three games at the start of their schedule and they start the season 0-3. And we wouldn't even be talking about Tech right now.
Metroid

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:47 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:With all the parity that we have seen this year, conference games for a team in the Big 12 are no longer walkovers, no matter who you are.

The Big 12 is extremely good at the top this year (probably the best in the country by quite a bit), but the middle and bottom half of the conference is just awful (which may account for the beginning of this sentence), probably the worst in the country, not counting the Big East since I'm not even treating them like a BCS conference any more.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:57 am

IMO, the reason everyone thinks the Big 12 QB's are so good is due to playing garbage defenses week in and week out. They put up phenomenal numbers against terrible defenses. I do like some of them, but others are overrated because of the system they run combined with terrible defenses.

Side Note -- Looks like its PSU's turn to go to the BCS game and get stomped
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football