Week 9 Cafe Rankings Poll and Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 9 Cafe Rankings Poll and Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 9 Cafe Rankings Poll and Discussion

Postby knapplc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:12 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:1) I picked Tech to win that game with a lot of confidence points. I was just trying to point out that Tech should get credit for what they did. I also said that it was technically an upset. No matter how bad you think Kansas may be, I was right about that. It was technically an upset.

A Vegas oddsmaker said it was an upset. Point taken. The reality of college football is not determined by Vegas oddsmakers. To most of us, that Texas Tech victory wasn't surprising. I would humbly suggest that basing your understanding of the strengths of this or that team off of Vegas isn't the best method. You should do as much actual game-watching as you can. I don't think you'd have been surprised to see that score if you'd have watched Kansas and Tech play before this.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:45 pm

knapplc wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:1) I picked Tech to win that game with a lot of confidence points. I was just trying to point out that Tech should get credit for what they did. I also said that it was technically an upset. No matter how bad you think Kansas may be, I was right about that. It was technically an upset.

A Vegas oddsmaker said it was an upset. Point taken. The reality of college football is not determined by Vegas oddsmakers. To most of us, that Texas Tech victory wasn't surprising. I would humbly suggest that basing your understanding of the strengths of this or that team off of Vegas isn't the best method. You should do as much actual game-watching as you can. I don't think you'd have been surprised to see that score if you'd have watched Kansas and Tech play before this.

Like the part I just bolded suggests, I was very confident that Tech would win. I still don't know where you are getting the idea that I think Kansas is better than Tech. I made one small point about a vegas oddsmaker. It's not like I at any point said Kansas would win. I never said they were better. I never even said the game would be close. Like I said, I PICKED TEXAS TECH TO WIN WITH A LOT OF CONFIDENCE POINTS.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:35 am

Then you're confusing several of us with your level of amazement over Tech's offense. You seem to be the only person who was surprised that Tech scored so much on Kansas, and the fact is that if you're confident enough in your knowledge of college football to not only assist in the Cafe's straw poll and make judgements on the rankings of others, the fact is that Tech's offense shouldn't be surprising to you at all.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:27 pm

knapplc wrote:Then you're confusing several of us with your level of amazement over Tech's offense. You seem to be the only person who was surprised that Tech scored so much on Kansas, and the fact is that if you're confident enough in your knowledge of college football to not only assist in the Cafe's straw poll and make judgements on the rankings of others, the fact is that Tech's offense shouldn't be surprising to you at all.

Again, you're mentioning that I'm making judgments on other people's rankings. All I did was ask a question that I was genuinely curious about. Even a 7 year old who had never watched college football before could look at a poll and say "why do you have USC ranked at #5?" which is all that I said. And while I had seen Tech's stats, you're right, I had not seen them play yet this year. I do not have any sort of college football package and they had yet to be televised in my area before the Kansas game. I feel that I know plenty about college football to make rankings and I do my best to watch all these teams play, but if the games aren't televised where I'm living there's nothing that I can do. If you think I don't know anything about college football or that my rankings should be counted as invalid, well, there's not really much more I can say to you at this point.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:51 pm

As an aside -- I know a lot of very intelligent people who loved Kansas going into that game. I wasn't one of them, but I know a lot of people who know what they are talking about when it comes to college football and they felt that it was a good spot for Kansas and felt they were going to win outright. A lot of us here thought TT would win, but there was an argument the other way. Everyone's ranks how they see and we should all be open to criticism ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:56 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Everyone's ranks how they see and we should all be open to criticism ;-D

You know if everyone ranked how I ranked, there wouldn't be any arguments.

:-b
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Seriously though, just kidding, but really the team I think is overrated, even in my poll, is Penn State. Certainly they have the best win (OSU) if you stack up their sched and results against Utah or BSU, otherwise its virtually a draw, but I think if they had to play just about anyone else in the top10, they'd get waxed.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:58 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Seriously though, just kidding, but really the team I think is overrated, even in my poll, is Penn State. Certainly they have the best win (OSU) if you stack up their sched and results against Utah or BSU, otherwise its virtually a draw, but I think if they had to play just about anyone else in the top10, they'd get waxed.

And I think that this presents a really tough situation. I agree with you that Penn State isn't that good, but I do my rankings based almost completely on what they've done, rather than how good they appear to someone who is watching them play. I feel that this eliminates my personal biases as much as possible. Anyway, that's a slight digression, but my point is, that it is very difficult to rank a team like Penn St. who I agree, doesn't seem to be THAT good, but is still undefeated with a win over a solid OSU team.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:24 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Seriously though, just kidding, but really the team I think is overrated, even in my poll, is Penn State. Certainly they have the best win (OSU) if you stack up their sched and results against Utah or BSU, otherwise its virtually a draw, but I think if they had to play just about anyone else in the top10, they'd get waxed.

And I think that this presents a really tough situation. I agree with you that Penn State isn't that good, but I do my rankings based almost completely on what they've done, rather than how good they appear to someone who is watching them play. I feel that this eliminates my personal biases as much as possible. Anyway, that's a slight digression, but my point is, that it is very difficult to rank a team like Penn St. who I agree, doesn't seem to be THAT good, but is still undefeated with a win over a solid OSU team.

Agreed. Thats why my polls wind up so different than most. Being that they finally have a "good" victory and the fact they're undefeated makes it hard for me to rank teams that lost to Oregon St or Ole Miss ahead of them.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:28 am

Mississippi is severely underrated, and I'm not convinced at this point that Ole Miss wouldn't beat Ohio State pretty handily.

Seriously, if they could play 60 minutes of football instead of 59, they'd be ranked in the top 5 right now. They'd also match up pretty well against Ohio State, since they're pretty stingy against the run and Ohio State hasn't quite figured out how to throw the football yet.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to College Football