Prime example of why the Rooney Rule is idiotic. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Prime example of why the Rooney Rule is idiotic.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Prime example of why the Rooney Rule is idiotic.

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:32 am

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:I look at the owners you speak of as being part of the impetous for the player hating that is taking place right now. I wonder if athletes were white if the owners wouldn't be more likely to turn a blind eye to what they would likely call "boys being boys" misbehaviors.

The Rooney rule is just PC pandering by the league. Look at the Lions. They go from one inept head coach to another without ever running across a black canidate that is better than a Marinelli. Really? C'Mon. There is no way that NimRod Marinelli would have ever even been thought of as a Lions head coach if he were black. Not that he should have, he sucks in any color.

Your well known hatred of the owners blinds you to reality. Easy to throw out a wild claim like the owners would be more lenient towards white players, a lot tougher to back it up, but then you don't even try to back it up, you just keeping throwing lots of mud and hope eventually some of it sticks. Your statement is disingenuous at best, and a bold faced lie methinks.

The NFL is made up primarily of black players, 70 % to be exact. And they do do seem to get in more trouble than their white counterparts - is that the owners fault? I think you need to look somewhere other than the owners for the reason the black players seem to run afoul of the law - from the backgrounds many of them come from to the "gangsta" culture so many like to emulate when the big bucks start to flow in.

I suppose the NFL owners are the ones responsible for the fact that blacks make up 49% of the prison population while comprising only 13% of the general population???

I know the owners are inherently evil and you would like to see them eliminated - maybe the players could just all get together in some field somewhere and play, since there wouldn't be any stadiums. And everyone likes to criticize Gene Upshaw for having been a lackey of the owners, but under him the players share of the revenue went from 27% to 65% - and it is felt the reason Paul Tagliabue has not made it into the Hall of Fame is because he caved into the NFLPA too much and not the other way around!

I won't try and defend the Fords - they come by their racism naturally, founder Henry Ford was decorated by admirer Adolf Hitler n 1938 for his anti-semitism.

The NFL did not want to degenerate into what the NBA had become with its bad boy image and loss of fan support and took measures to prevent that - sanity and common sense prevailed in th NFL. Even the NBA eventually saw the error of its ways and cleaned up its image.

And your claim of "pandering" is an insult to the Rooney family and the good things they have tried to do in this league including being at the forefront of minority hiring. Owners are not always the boogeymen you make them out to be.

I guess I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you misread my post. I never said anything about the Rooney family, it was the NFL use of the rule-read that as the league that may be using it as a PC prop. I never said as a statement the the league is punishing players, in part, becuase of their race. But to dismiss the possibility that race might help the league embrace penalizing players for poor conduct is naive, IMO.
Sorry about the misunderstanding StomperRob. No need to reply, dude.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:25 pm

moochman wrote:I never said as a statement the the league is punishing players, in part, becuase of their race. But to dismiss the possibility that race might help the league embrace penalizing players for poor conduct is naive, IMO.

Kinda straddling the fence there - are they or aren't they? And to suggest that the NFL would want to slay the proverbial golden goose is naive, IMO.

To even hint at the possibility of a racist agenda without some shred of proof is repugnant! :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby moochman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:34 am

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:I never said as a statement the the league is punishing players, in part, becuase of their race. But to dismiss the possibility that race might help the league embrace penalizing players for poor conduct is naive, IMO.

Kinda straddling the fence there - are they or aren't they? And to suggest that the NFL would want to slay the proverbial golden goose is naive, IMO.

To even hint at the possibility of a racist agenda without some shred of proof is repugnant! :-t

Never hinted at an agenda. Racism is much more subtle than that. To call something an agenda would be to put conciousness to it, and I never said there was a concious effort to punish young black athletes. Just saying that it isn't out of the realm of possibility that stodgy old multi-millionaires, often who led fairytale, silver spoon laden lives, may not think twice about punishing players who come from a different world for behaving in a scarey manner. And any form of punishment should always be given more thought. IMO. Stop processing my words in black and white, Stomp, you have to already know that when my hatred isn't totally blinding me or I am not lying I think in shades of gray.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk