Commish changing lineup at 1:02 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commish changing lineup at 1:02

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish changing lineup at 1:02

Postby Jaxle » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:52 pm

I am doing a $ 100 per team money league in Yahoo! and saw this show up on recent transactions in a league I am in :

Oct 26 1:02pm Lineup changed for team (Commish team name) ' for week 8

Have you seen this before , your feelings if you saw it and what should I do if anything.

Personally doesn't seem fair and a bit abusive by the commish.
1st Round Picks
Deuce - 2005
Frank Gore - 2006
Randy Moss - 2008
Jaxle
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish changing lineup at 1:02

Postby rmjones101 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:32 pm

Well since the first game started at 1:05.... I'd say it was just under the wire.

A Lot of team owners do that at the last minute. They think moving rosters at the last second gives them an advantage. Not really though since regardless who your opponent it, you'ld play what you think is best overall anyway.
rmjones101
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:49 am

We need to know what players were involved and what your rules explicitly say before passing a concrete judgment...

If your league settings explicitly say something like "players lock 5 minutes before the start of their game", or something like that, then it is an obvious abuse of power, yes. If you cannot change your lineup 3 minutes before the game starts, then neither should he, and something needs to be said/done.

Make sure you do your homework though - if he changed two players who played in the 1:05 PST games, then there is nothing fishy about it. :-?
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:23 pm

i wouldnt make a big deal about it...guessing he just missed the deadline...if i was a commish and someone called me right at 1:00 i'd still allow the change
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Script-Ohio » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm

I don't think it's fair. If everyone else in the league can't change players at 1:02, then the commish shouldn't be able to either.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Script-Ohio wrote:I don't think it's fair. If everyone else in the league can't change players at 1:02, then the commish shouldn't be able to either.

things happen, people cant be in front of their PC all day on Sunday...in all my leagues a phone call to the commish right at the deadline is enough to get a lineup changed. maybe the guy heard on the radio last minute someone was out, i dont know.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Script-Ohio » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:31 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Script-Ohio wrote:I don't think it's fair. If everyone else in the league can't change players at 1:02, then the commish shouldn't be able to either.

things happen, people cant be in front of their PC all day on Sunday...in all my leagues a phone call to the commish right at the deadline is enough to get a lineup changed. maybe the guy heard on the radio last minute someone was out, i dont know.

That's still an unfair advantage for the commish. He can zap his lineup anytime he wants but what if someone else wanted to do the same thing - and the commish isn't home? It's a competitive advantage for the commish. Heck he might have been at the library and remembered "oh crap I forgot to change my lineup", logged in there, and changed it. Meanwhile his voicemail at home has a message on it from a league member who wanted to do the same thing, but couldn't. Unlikely example I know but the point is to illustrate that it's still an advantage for the commish that he shouldn't have.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 am

Script-Ohio wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

That's still an unfair advantage for the commish. He can zap his lineup anytime he wants but what if someone else wanted to do the same thing - and the commish isn't home? It's a competitive advantage for the commish. Heck he might have been at the library and remembered "oh crap I forgot to change my lineup", logged in there, and changed it. Meanwhile his voicemail at home has a message on it from a league member who wanted to do the same thing, but couldn't. Unlikely example I know but the point is to illustrate that it's still an advantage for the commish that he shouldn't have.

ummm...dont the league you play in allow the commish to make lineup changes for any team at any time?

assuming you leave him a message or email by the start of the game (or even 5 minutes late...depending on how strict your league is) but he doesnt get home until Sunday night to physically change it, i dont see an issue as long as everyone is notified
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby THEOT » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:48 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Script-Ohio wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

ummm...dont the league you play in allow the commish to make lineup changes for any team at any time?

assuming you leave him a message or email by the start of the game (or even 5 minutes late...depending on how strict your league is) but he doesnt get home until Sunday night to physically change it, i dont see an issue as long as everyone is notified

I did that this year in the dynasty league I commish. We opened up a 2nd blind bidding period that ended at 12 pm on sunday and I had to go out of town for a few hours. I emailed the entire league that morning and told them that I would be gone and if there were any problems I'd fix them when I got back. Sure enough, I got back around 6 and there were issues I had to fix, made the changes and everyone was happy because I told them up front.

As for this situation, Yahoo does lock out a little early usually, but if there's no rule against it there's little you can do. Also, I highly would doubt that a commish in a $100 per person league would forget to set his lineup intentionally. But I do agree, with families and stuff not everybody can be at the comp in time every week.
THEOT
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner