Are you in danger of loving the numbers over the sport? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Are you in danger of loving the numbers over the sport?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Are you in danger of loving the numbers over the sport?

Postby CineMamet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:17 am

Do you ever do this? You scan the box scores, know every WR from Randy Moss to Sinorice Moss. Josh Morgan to Harry Douglas.

Know every running backup committee in the league. Every #2 QB. Yet, you barely watch the sport. Or know who's in first place.

It probably happens in baseball more, since it's a 162-game schedule and there are 500 players, half of them with the last name Martinez, and many of which get called up from the minors and demoted through the year.

But there are times where I wasn't sure about the teams' records. I'd go weeks during the season not realizing who was first in the AL Central. Do you find yourself in front of the computer Sunday morning watching the monitor more than the TV set?

Is football becoming a masturbatory obsession with numbers, a quasi-stock market power-trip fantasy that has pulled you away from watching the sport you grew up loving without any bias? Do you feel ashamed that you actually care about whether Jerramy Stevens, the #2 TE in TB snagged a 12-yard reception since your opponent plays him...this despite the fact that you are a Titans fan and could care less about Jerramy Stevens, instead of simply enjoying the game between two evenly matched teams?
CineMamet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Response Team
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Are you in danger of loving the numbers over the sport?

Postby Popcynical » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:43 am

Nope. I know the stats and the players, but I watch at least four hours of football every Sunday and I always (with the exception of last week cause the game sucked) watch the whole monday night game, even if there's no fantasy significance. There's nothing like watching a good football game.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby dmacblue » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:01 am

No, the actual game of football with always come first, but....

1) I spend way way WAY more hours each week reading fantasy football stuff than i do watching games.

2) The early games on Sundays are always watched on the computer gamecast scoreboard with eyes darting from one boxscore to the next.

3) I must admit, there have been occasions when I knew every players stats for a game, but would be hard pressed to tell you the final score in that game :-S

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:10 am

It's a problem for me and I've come very close to walking away from all fantasy sports because of it. I still cheer my Cassel-led Patriots, and I would watch all three Sunday games and the Monday game regardless of fantasy sports. My brother, who's been playing for longer than I have, stopped this year and he tells me how much he enjoys just watching the games for the fun of it now, as well as laughing at my friends and I fretting over which WR caught the TD !+) I'm thinking a year off will give me a breather and I'll fall back in love with fantasy sports after taking a break.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Retet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:43 pm

I think that I enjoy football more with Fantasy than without it. I've moved around a lot, so I don't have a single team that I root for, and with friends from all over the country in my FF leagues, participating in FF gives me a way to connect with them. So, I guess I don't care if I love the numbers or the sport more -- FF simply adds another layer of enjoyment to watching and talking football.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby shagworth » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:08 pm

That is why I'm only playing in one league this year instead of 3 or 4.
Whover said they can know each players stat for a given game, but not be able to tell you the final score sums it up for me for the last couple of years.

Now I definately enjoy the games more. I know my one roster, and I can keep up with how my team is doing without constantly looking at Stat Tracker. I don't have to worry if I have Brandon Jacobs playing for me on one team, but going against me on another team in another league.
Props to soty for the sig!
shagworth
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby fantasizing » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:17 pm

I definately follow the numbers over the sport.

If it wasn't for fantasy football I probably would pay less attention to the NFL.

Id watch a game here and there if I was bored on a sunday, but thats about it.

Im more of a general sports fan, and I like watching all sports.

So maybe fantasy football is a good way to attract new fans. ;-D

I also think football is the best of all fantasy sports. There are so many stats, it so technical, that it makes it very fascinating at times analyzing statistics for the purposes of generating fantasy points.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby CineMamet » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:29 am

fantasizing wrote:I definately follow the numbers over the sport.

If it wasn't for fantasy football I probably would pay less attention to the NFL.

Id watch a game here and there if I was bored on a sunday, but thats about it.

Im more of a general sports fan, and I like watching all sports.

So maybe fantasy football is a good way to attract new fans. ;-D

I also think football is the best of all fantasy sports. There are so many stats, it so technical, that it makes it very fascinating at times analyzing statistics for the purposes of generating fantasy points.

I like this guy. Let's get him a beer.

I think baseball is great since it's a sport for Bill James geeks. But it's also infuriating if you play H2H because of the streakiness over 162 games. The worst one for me is fantasy NBA - boring and predictable!
CineMamet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Response Team

Postby CineMamet » Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:31 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:It's a problem for me and I've come very close to walking away from all fantasy sports because of it. I still cheer my Cassel-led Patriots, and I would watch all three Sunday games and the Monday game regardless of fantasy sports. My brother, who's been playing for longer than I have, stopped this year and he tells me how much he enjoys just watching the games for the fun of it now, as well as laughing at my friends and I fretting over which WR caught the TD !+) I'm thinking a year off will give me a breather and I'll fall back in love with fantasy sports after taking a break.

Let us know if you last that year. We had a guy in our league who took a year off too. He's back now but I do wonder myself. I'll be busy with a lot of school and filming next year so I think I'm gonna take baseball off since that's the most exhausting one.

Another question: Do you judge players now more by their numbers than the intangibles than you used to?
CineMamet
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Response Team

Return to Football Talk