Do You Believe in Trade Deadlines, Firesales? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Do You Believe in Trade Deadlines, Firesales?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Do You Believe in Trade Deadlines, Firesales?

Postby WeekSixteen » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:41 pm

As a soon to be Commish next year I believe trade deadlines are important but vary depending on the type of league your in i.e. Dynasty, Keepers, or Re-Drafts.

For dynasties and keepers that play a normal fantasy schedule I think a week 10 deadline is acceptable and if picks are traded then payment is due for next year.

For Re-Drafts.. well I haven't played in any re-drafts for years, so I'm not sure if a trade deadline is even an option when you have differing owners every year. If you play in a redraft where you can trade picks for next year than I think a week 10 deadline is sufficient.

For leagues that don't offer any incentive to losing teams to keep competing after the midway point I believe trade deadlines are pretty important. Last year I had a pretty good team and I cashed in many of my draft picks from next year to build a pretty awesome team and this was due to a very late trade deadline, I want to say week 12.

We talked earlier this year about a playoff system that is competitive to the end for not only the league championship and for the number 1 pick. Leagues that offer a weekly cash prize to the highest scoring team also adds a small amount of incentive not to have a fire sale. For trading next years picks its equally important that both parties pay so that the value long term of such trades stay positive for the league. But in general I don't feel great about fire sales although our rules last year allowed me to take advantage of them.

Your thoughts on how it works in your leagues?
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Do You Believe in Trade Deadlines, Firesales?

Postby Retet » Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:48 pm

I like almost all of what you mention except fire sales, which disrupt competitive balance.

One thing that I like a lot is a playoff system that offers those teams not in the playoffs to play for the number 1 overall pick in next year's draft. I think such a system encourages continued competition and stretches the season for everyone. After all, fantasy football is fun and the longer a commish can make it fun, fair, and competitive for everyone, the better.

As for trading deadlines, I think they're okay. But I've never seen much use for them when a playoff system like the one described above is in place.
"Happy life day!"
Retet
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk