Willingham "Steps Down" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Willingham "Steps Down"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Willingham "Steps Down"

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:29 pm

SEATTLE (AP)—Tyrone Willingham was fired Monday as Washington’s coach after failing to restore the Huskies to national prominence.

Two days after Washington fell to 0-7, athletic director Scott Woodward said Willingham will step down at the end of the season. When asked Monday if this was his decision, Willingham said flatly, “no.”

Willingham, appearing at his weekly news conference, added he never considered resigning.

“No, it’s just not in my makeup,” he said.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... &type=lgns

He was fired, no way around it. I am sorry for Ty because the guy can coach. Tough schedule this year and then to lose Locker :-P
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Willingham "Steps Down"

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:02 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
SEATTLE (AP)—Tyrone Willingham was fired Monday as Washington’s coach after failing to restore the Huskies to national prominence.

Two days after Washington fell to 0-7, athletic director Scott Woodward said Willingham will step down at the end of the season. When asked Monday if this was his decision, Willingham said flatly, “no.”

Willingham, appearing at his weekly news conference, added he never considered resigning.

He was fired, no way around it. I am sorry for Ty because the guy can coach. Tough schedule this year and then to lose Locker :-P

The guy can coach? Being a Coug fan, I can't say much, but I personally believe Ty couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. He's always overhyped, he's terrible with the media, and he has worsened every program he's touched recently (with the exception of Stanford because that was nearly impossible). Just my 2 cents...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:30 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

The guy can coach? Being a Coug fan, I can't say much, but I personally believe Ty couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag. He's always overhyped, he's terrible with the media, and he has worsened every program he's touched recently (with the exception of Stanford because that was nearly impossible). Just my 2 cents...

Ty took over a TERRIBLE ND team that Bob Davie single handily destroyed. Davie left Ty with nothing and all those players that Weis coached to a good record were Willingham's. The guy can coach when given the time to develop a program and bring his guys in. It may be nearly impossible to coach terrible at Stanford, but it is very hard to coach well there and that is what he did. He won a Pac 10 title and went to the Rose Bowl with Stanford, that is hard to do. Think about that, he won a Pac 10 title, at Stanford. His 44 wins at Stanford are 3rd most in the schools history.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:31 am

The same could be said for Mike Price, but for the record, I would still disagree...

I think he's complete and utter garbage, but I'm willing to agree to disagree :-] :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:22 am

Ty certainly has a checkered coaching history, but I felt when he got booted from Notre Dame that he didn't get a fair deal, and I feel like he didn't get a fair deal at Washington, too. It's undeniable what he did at Stanford. He can coach, and that wasn't an accidental Pac 10 championship he won there.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:56 am

Lane Kiffen is interested in the Washington job. That would be a great move for them
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:59 pm

Ty Will had plenty of time to turn that mess around and managed to make it worse.
Duck fans appreciate him more than you know. Mebbe he gets a job as the USC def. coordinator. :-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby VaderFin » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:25 pm

Willingham is horrible. He has driven the UW program into dust. UW needs to recruit a hell of alot better then they have under Willingham.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:41 pm

My mom is one of the biggest college football fans I know and a UW alum so I've kept up with the situation quite a bit, and I believe Ty just didn't get the job done. Sounds like he didn't put in the recruiting extra effort required to compete. She was on the fence about keeping him around until this season, just no way around the lack of production under him.

As far as potential replacements, I'm not sure Kifflin is the type of personality they need. It'll be interesting to see who they get.
Mugrila
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:06 pm

Not much of a surprise here:
Posted: Friday October 31, 2008 5:59PM; Updated: Friday October 31, 2008 6:51PM
Seahawks' Mora declares he's not a Washington candidate

RENTON, Wash. (AP) -- Forget Jim Mora and the Washington Huskies.

The Seahawks' head coach in waiting said he is not interested in the coaching position at Washington, ending both his silence and rampant speculation.

"I am not a candidate for the University of Washington coaching vacancy," Mora said in a written statement handed out by a Seahawks spokesman on Friday afternoon. "I wish the university well with their search and the program nothing but sustained success in the future."

Mora is a former Huskies linebacker who began his coaching career at the UW as a graduate assistant under Don James in 1984. He has already signed a contract to succeed Mike Holmgren as Seahawks coach beginning in 2009. The deal is believed to be worth almost $5 million annually.

con't...

rest of article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/f ... f=si_ncaaf
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Next

Return to College Football