CPepp? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

CPepp?

Moderator: Football Moderators

CPepp?

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 pm

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... _pers.html

I'll highlight the interesting parts:

The Lions have finally confirmed an earlier report here that free agent quarterback Daunte Culpeper is visiting the team at its Allen Park practice facility. Whether Culpepper eventually will sign a contract with the Lions is unknown.

...What makes the Culpepper situation more interesting is that Culpepper was scheduled to visit the Kansas City Chiefs today, presumably to sign a contract, but he canceled that visit, saying that he had a better offer from another club. Culpepper did not identify that team.

I'm not really sure what to think... Just for fun lets speculate and say we do sign him. Does he start as soon as he has a grasp on the playbook or do we stick with our younger guys the rest of the season? (since i hope by now marinelli and the FO have realized the season is out the window) Would we keep him here either to groom Stanton one more year or maybe the guy that we waste one of our first rounders on? Is he a guy we want grooming one of our young guys? Is he here simply just for roster depth cause henson sucks? What do you guys think?
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: CPepp?

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:16 pm

i dont even know anymore...they need to just get Stanton in there and see what they have
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RWLongy4 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i dont even know anymore...they need to just get Stanton in there and see what they have

No kidding the way things keep happening thats seeming more and more unlikely :-t
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:06 pm

Well, the latest report on MLive said he left without a contract.

Thank your lucky stars.

I truly couldnt imagine a worse move by the Lions if they had signed him.

Look - Culpepper sucks. He has always sucked, just earlier in his career it was masked by the ultimate situation for him. He is the epitome of a dump and chuck QB. He has a wonderful deep pass, but in a normal offensive scheme he is completely lost. He is innaccurate on medium range passes and he isnt smart enough to read defenses all that well. To add to that he has a history of sideline meltdowns when things arent going his way - could you imagine him handling the constant boos in Detroit?

I dont know, maybe it would be fun to sign him. kinda like stirring up the perfect storm and pulling up a lawn chair to watch the devastation. I certainly would get a kick out of seeing how long it would take him to have a meltdown each week.

O wait - I forgot about his fumblitis! The guy cant hold onto the football when hit in the pocket - can you imagine how bad we would be with a QB who has a tendency to fumble? :-o

Im sorry, but those people who think bringing Cpepp in would make this a better team going forward have no idea what they are talking about - it would simply be the very worst thing the Lions could do right now short of bringing Millen back.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:08 am

Cornbread Maxwell wrote:Well, the latest report on MLive said he left without a contract.

Thank your lucky stars.

I truly couldnt imagine a worse move by the Lions if they had signed him.

Look - Culpepper sucks. He has always sucked, just earlier in his career it was masked by the ultimate situation for him. He is the epitome of a dump and chuck QB. He has a wonderful deep pass, but in a normal offensive scheme he is completely lost. He is innaccurate on medium range passes and he isnt smart enough to read defenses all that well. To add to that he has a history of sideline meltdowns when things arent going his way - could you imagine him handling the constant boos in Detroit?

I dont know, maybe it would be fun to sign him. kinda like stirring up the perfect storm and pulling up a lawn chair to watch the devastation. I certainly would get a kick out of seeing how long it would take him to have a meltdown each week.

O wait - I forgot about his fumblitis! The guy cant hold onto the football when hit in the pocket - can you imagine how bad we would be with a QB who has a tendency to fumble? :-o

Im sorry, but those people who think bringing Cpepp in would make this a better team going forward have no idea what they are talking about - it would simply be the very worst thing the Lions could do right now short of bringing Millen back.

it sounds like he still could be signed though...i'm with you, i just dont see the upside...i have ZERO desire to see him get in a game this year at the expense of Stanton, and if it's a 2 year deal and he's here to compete for a job next year...whatever, i guess i'm willing to see what he's got but i just see it as a setback because we could use that spot for a different QB

i almost do want him signed just to see what kind of buffonery NimRod spouts out about not being owed a spot because of draft position or being a high profile FA...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 am

RWLongy4 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i dont even know anymore...they need to just get Stanton in there and see what they have

No kidding the way things keep happening thats seeming more and more unlikely :-t

And one could only think that the reason they would be fishing for Culpepper is twofold;
1) They want a name to get fans to buy tickets.
2) Stanton is progressing like any young player under NimRod's watch. Drew Stanton must not be at all ready to play football at this level.

I hope the Lions don't land Culpepper. I don't see him staying healthy behind our pukey line and, quite frankly, I don't want them doing commiting to another old player. We keep trying to put bandaides on bullet wounds when a full scale amputation is needed.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby RWLongy4 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:51 pm

Sure stanton probably looks bad in practice but Marinelli also thinks the team looks great in practice. :-b I say throw him in there and see what happens, that alone will sell seats.
RWLongy4
General Manager
General Manager

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 pm

They are going to sign him i can feel it. Watch. They need something dont they? They could sell the whole Culpepper now has a stronger faster Randy Moss in Calvin Johnson!!! You and I both know that this isnt what the team needs in the long term. Would Pep be better that Orlo or Stant? Well id have to say yes. The only reason for us not seeing Stanton is that he must be freaking terrible. Like i mean BAD. Like cant throw a spiral bad. Thats the only reason. Who the hell knows anymore. 2nd round pick lol.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:57 pm

CULPEPPER DOES DEAL WITH LIONS?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 1, 2008, 5:10 p.m.

We’ve gotten a tip from a member of the media that the Lions and quarterback Daunte Culpepper have agreed to terms on a two-year deal.

Word is that he’ll join the team on Monday, and that he’ll wear number 11 with the Lions.

Culpepper wore No. 11 for most of his time in Minnesota. After leaving the Vikings, he switched to No. 8, which he had worn in college at Central Florida.

We sent Culpepper an e-mail to confirm that he has agreed to terms with the Lions, but we’ve yet to hear back from him.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:28 am

Guessing Culpepper sent the Lions tape from his Viking days, not his Phins{
Also guessing this signing and Coletto's idioticly embarrassing remarks about our back-up must mean that Stanton is much closer to bust than start.
From what I heard listening to the Lions game the Polish pop-gun can't hit a moving target. NimRod and the fun bunch are starting to sound desperate and now look to be starting to make desperate moves.
The only question now is how long before Coletto feels Culpepper won't embarrass himself, or given that he signed with the Lions is it already too late?

Am I for the signing? Right now, why not. We did seem to win more often when we had a QB that turned the ball over a lot, and Culpepper has a lot of tape on that. Oh wait. That would go against the preachings of Coach NimRod. Odd, eh?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Detroit Lions