Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: CPepp?

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:50 am

Culpepper, Lions agree to two-year deal to put him at the helm

By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

Updated: November 1, 2008, 5:37 PM ET

Less than two weeks after announcing that he's coming out of retirement, quarterback Daunte Culpepper has a new home.

Culpepper agreed Saturday to a two-year deal with the Detroit Lions. Terms of the deal, scheduled to be signed on Monday, are unknown.

Culpepper canceled a scheduled trip to Kansas City to instead visit the Lions earlier in the week.

Culpepper left the Lions on Tuesday without a deal but kept in touch, trying to find a home for this season and next season. After several days of negotiations, Culpepper agreed that Detroit was the best fit for him.

In September, Culpepper announced his retirement after being offered only one-year deals. Culpepper felt ignored despite his belief in his skills, and when he couldn't find a long-term home he announced his retirement at the age of 31.

In agreeing to a deal with Culpepper, the Lions have a quarterback to help finish this season and take them into next season. Culpepper, a former Vikings starter, has great knowledge of the NFC North.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:11 am

You know what's funny? I think a lot of us are to the point where it's like "What the F__K?, Why not. What's it gonna hurt?" I'm one of those guys. But, I'm also that guy . . . have you ever seen "Fun With Dick & Jane"? The one with Jim Carey. You that friend of his, or coworker who's always getting screwed and in the background yelling "Son of a B****!" Yup. That's me as a Lions fan at the moment. !+)
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:46 am

In agreeing to a deal with Culpepper, the Lions have a quarterback to help finish this season and take them into next season. Culpepper, a former Vikings starter, has great knowledge of the NFC North.

Maybe the Lions are just using Culpepper's great knowledge of the NFC North to help them lose their remaining games to Duh-Bears, Vikes, and Pack.
I would be so much more optimistic about this if it weren't for the fact the God hates Lions fans.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Santacruzer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:02 pm

moochman wrote:

Maybe the Lions are just using Culpepper's great knowledge of the NFC North to help them lose their remaining games to Duh-Bears, Vikes, and Pack.
I would be so much more optimistic about this if it weren't for the fact the God hates Lions fans.

I have to ask, what is this Great Knowledge of the NFC North that he possesses? Mike Tice play calling tendencies??? The way to break down film for Brett Favre and Ahman Green??? Or does he have a leg up on the rest of the Lions team simply by knowing where Chicago, Green Bay, and Minnesota are located on a map??? I suppose knowing where to go and having some type of direction IS a leg up on the entire Lions organization. Sigh.
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:17 am

Santacruzer wrote:
moochman wrote:

I have to ask, what is this Great Knowledge of the NFC North that he possesses? Mike Tice play calling tendencies??? The way to break down film for Brett Favre and Ahman Green??? Or does he have a leg up on the rest of the Lions team simply by knowing where Chicago, Green Bay, and Minnesota are located on a map??? I suppose knowing where to go and having some type of direction IS a leg up on the entire Lions organization. Sigh.

Remeber the room he is playing to, Cruzer. Possessing great knowledge of football in a room consisting of NimRod and Coletto isn't exactly setting the bar high.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:49 pm

i saw this little snippet today in the Freep

NBC's Peter King, on the future of New England QB Matt Cassel: "He's going to hit it rich somewhere in the off-season. I think it'll be a team like Detroit with $38 million in cap room, some team that desperately needs a quarterback." Can't we wait to see how Daunte works out first?

do we really have that much cap room? if so i hope we dont blow it on Cassel
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:06 pm

I'm torn on the CPep signing. I don't really think it can hurt, but we are leaving things up to the morons that run the Lions to make the decisions that it looks like Stanton will not not see the field for evaluation. I have long been of the mindset that QB is wayyyyy down the list of Lions issues, so if this in someway helps not to draft a QB in April, I am all for it.

The one thing that I keep hearing Killer say is that he would not be surprised if the 3-headed monster is back next season - NimRod, Mayhew and Lewand. I sure hope this is not one of the few times he is right :-o :-o :-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:12 pm

dream_017 wrote:I'm torn on the CPep signing. I don't really think it can hurt, but we are leaving things up to the morons that run the Lions to make the decisions that it looks like Stanton will not not see the field for evaluation. I have long been of the mindset that QB is wayyyyy down the list of Lions issues, so if this in someway helps not to draft a QB in April, I am all for it.

The one thing that I keep hearing Killer say is that he would not be surprised if the 3-headed monster is back next season - NimRod, Mayhew and Lewand. I sure hope this is not one of the few times he is right :-o :-o :-o

same here...i have heard good things about Mayhew (well, actually i think i just read one quote, maybe from Bill Pollian saying he'd make a good GM), but i'm not at all comfortable just giving him the job...if NimRod comes back though, i may not watch a game

also, i just saw some speculation that Orlovsky might be out with a thumb sprain, cant wait to see what NimRod does (Stanton or Cpep) and if it's Cpep how he justifies it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Can you guys believe that hes going to start this Sunday? He probably weighs 400 pounds lol. I mean seriously. Hes been at home, chilling. Not playing football. I cant believe that they are going to put him out there that fast. 3 practices. OMFG
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby moochman » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:17 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
dream_017 wrote:I'm torn on the CPep signing. I don't really think it can hurt, but we are leaving things up to the morons that run the Lions to make the decisions that it looks like Stanton will not not see the field for evaluation. I have long been of the mindset that QB is wayyyyy down the list of Lions issues, so if this in someway helps not to draft a QB in April, I am all for it.

same here...i have heard good things about Mayhew (well, actually i think i just read one quote, maybe from Bill Pollian saying he'd make a good GM), but i'm not at all comfortable just giving him the job...if NimRod comes back though, i may not watch a game

also, i just saw some speculation that Orlovsky might be out with a thumb sprain, cant wait to see what NimRod does (Stanton or Cpep) and if it's Cpep how he justifies it

The fact that Mayhew hasn't already come out and said that he if NimRod doesn't win at least 3 games he will not be asked to return tells me two things:
1) Mayhew is hoping that his Roy swindle and signing Mrs Butterfingersworth to a min pay deal for this year will help him find a job outside of the Lions disorganization.
2)Or that he is a lackey for Lord Ford and isn't qualified to be a GM.

As for Culpepper starting, I can't see it happening, unless NimRod is a total hypocrit. Remember these quotes:
"I guess that's what I'm about. I don't think there's a right of entitlement. I don't care what draft status is -- do you know what that means? Draft status? Some of you guys sit up in the bleachers all day eating popcorn, looking down. I'm in the middle of the arena in a team meeting and if I'm 0-5 or I'm 5-0, I look at those men with the same consistent message. The guy who's playing well is going to play -- who respects our game. Do you understand what respect of this game means? My consistency and that's what I'm going to do. The way you hurt high draft picks -- in the past here, hey, it's yours, you can mess up all you want, you can gain weight, you can do anything you want and you're going to still play. That insults this game. That insults it. I'm going to do everything I can to get that guy going and he's bustin' hard. And he's working hard. The fastest way to get back on the field, for him, is do things exactly right, the way I want it done, every single day. Draft status, that doesn't mean anything to me. Respect does. And, more importantly, I'm consistent with my message, 5-0 or 0-5 -- you have your agenda, so be it. I have mine. Is that answer clear? Good.''

Is that answer clear? NimRod cannot possibly see enough film on Culpepper in practice to warrent him stepping into the starting job. Right? Big talking, No Walking NimRod. If Orlocksky can't go, Culpepper will get the nod over Stanton becuase Culpepper hasn't been exposed to the putrid Lions coaching for as long as Drew. And, of course, becuase Stanton isn't good enough to be in this league.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Detroit Lions