How does Sportsline come up with its ratings? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How does Sportsline come up with its ratings?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How does Sportsline come up with its ratings?

Postby kev0ut » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:55 pm

On the matchup preview it says my Passing Rank: 10th -- I have Philip Rivers starting every game so far, so I have no idea where this stat comes from?
kev0ut
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: How does Sportsline come up with its ratings?

Postby FatLip » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:10 pm

The ratings are courtsey of top notch expert Dave Richard and industrial glue.
FatLip
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:06 am

My guess is that many people in your league have two QBs on their roster while you only have one. CBS' ratings are immortally stupid, but I'm pretty sure they work like this:

Count up all of the (we'll use QBs here) points scored by QBs on the entire roster (never mind which ones were active or if you just picked them up) and rank your team against the rest of the teams in the league. Repeat for rushing (RBs), Receiving (WRs and TEs), and D/ST.

This is more of a measure of competency. If you're a good owner you should be in the top 3 or so for rushing, 4/5 in receiving and then relatively low in the other categories unless no other teams are carrying two QBs or D/STs. I do actually find the Coach rating interesting (which is how many points you have scored divided by how many you *could* have scored) but only if you don't have a completely injured or backup bench, and the schedule difficulty, which I *think* is similar to NFL's strength of schedule (I know it's not points scored against you).

Anyway, don't put any stock into it. It means nearly nothing until they fix it by using only points scored in your active lineup.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby LeBron James » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:18 am

biju wrote:My guess is that many people in your league have two QBs on their roster while you only have one. CBS' ratings are immortally stupid, but I'm pretty sure they work like this:

Count up all of the (we'll use QBs here) points scored by QBs on the entire roster (never mind which ones were active or if you just picked them up) and rank your team against the rest of the teams in the league. Repeat for rushing (RBs), Receiving (WRs and TEs), and D/ST.

This is more of a measure of competency. If you're a good owner you should be in the top 3 or so for rushing, 4/5 in receiving and then relatively low in the other categories unless no other teams are carrying two QBs or D/STs. I do actually find the Coach rating interesting (which is how many points you have scored divided by how many you *could* have scored) but only if you don't have a completely injured or backup bench, and the schedule difficulty, which I *think* is similar to NFL's strength of schedule (I know it's not points scored against you).

Anyway, don't put any stock into it. It means nearly nothing until they fix it by using only points scored in your active lineup.

Cool, thanks for clearing all that up. I had a feeling they count bench points, why I don't know, because some weeks my rushing would suck but I would move up in the rushing ranks. Same with passing and receiving. Yeah, their whole system is messed up.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby kev0ut » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:56 pm

I guess that explains why the guy I'm playing this week is ranked 4th in passing and has 4 scrub QB's on his roster. I only had Rivers and Edwards.

I'm 3rd in both rushing and receiving though!
kev0ut
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby MotorCityKitties » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Sportsline is weird in that they have weird features that have almost no value. Then it's impossible to compare stats between the guy you are trying to pickup and the guy you want to drop.
MotorCityKitties
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby waterproof » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:47 pm

I think all leagues are different. I'm 9th in receiving (12 team league), and I'm in first place once you consider points. If anyone is interested, my break down is:

Record: 6-2-0 (W2)
Coach Rating: 93 (1st)
Schedule Difficulty: 7th
Passing Rank: 8th
Rushing Rank: 2nd
Receiving Rank: 9th
Defense/ST Rank: 12th
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye